gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » New 1971 Gitane Super Corsa in the House Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:09 am Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Kinst,

Well, first, if you've older photos of the bikes, feel free to post them. Once they're back and beautiful, you can post photos in the Gallery.

I guess I'm glad I didn't consider refinishing mine! Why does it take several years (!) to get a bike refinished? Where are you having them done?

I still have my first Gitane, a 71 TdF, and it could be a candidate for refinishing at some point. Maybe you could start a thread about the joys of refinishing? I would certainly love to learn more about the options, costs, etc. etc.

I've done my best to document the strip-down and rebuild of this bike. I'll finish when I'm back in August. I'll post a few photos of my TdF when I get to it, around the 4th.

Cheers,

Owen

OH, and good luck with the drop-out adjustment.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:18 am Reply with quote
Kinst VonSterga
I just purchased another gitane frame (and will not refinish it) just to have something to ride this season as the perpetual wait for something that does not come is murder on the psyche (and atrophying muscles). I used a reputable painter and he's real nice guy, so nothing malicious is at cause. Just murphy's law that seems to haunt each frame I send, so no flaming of names or reputations will occur. I just hope the frames eventually make it back before my riding days are over Wink

I'll post picks of my temporary gitane when its all assembled when I receive the frame, which was a quick buy-now on ebay. The seller is very friendly/knowledgeable so he may be a member of this forum too.

Cheers,

LT

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:49 am Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Well, the saddle has been a challenge. Many hours in a vise works, but take it out for 5 minutes, and it splays back again. Moreover, one rail is lower than the other, making the saddle slightly off-balance.

I've re-squeezed it and slapped it into the seat post brackets. It's straining at the boundaries, but it's in there.

I've started to put bits back onto the bike. This first photo, accidentally, shows how the seat slopes to one side. I guess I just live with this...

A couple more shots as pieces start going back on.

And this is where it stays, as we set out for a vacation drive tomorrow a.m. When I get back, I'll finish reassembling and get new wheels on it. Only then will I get to take her out for the first ride it's had since about 1972!

Cheers, Guys!

Owen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
dan s
Hi: I am new to this forum so don't be too hard on me if I ask stupid or inappropriate questions. It turns out the old road bike that I recently took down off the garage wall, dusted off and recently started riding is (I believe from everything I can discern) a Gitane SC with some original and some replaced components. It was poorly repainted some where along the way (read, no decals or original labels except for "Reynolds 531") and I have had it since about 1976 so I think that puts it in a 1971-1973 vintage. It's nowhere as complete and original and nice as yours, but you have never said what you paid for it (and or what you think it was really worth). I'm thinking of selling mine or parting it out to partially fund a newer road bike. I could post some pictures, but would really be interested in any comments or thoughts on value or where or how one would offer such a bike for sale.

Thanks,
Dan S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Hi Dan,

Welcome.

I suggest starting a new thread. Post as many photos as you can.

Take pictures of the lugs, drop-outs, head badge, bottom bracket, etc. etc.

There are a number of very expert guys here who are not shy in telling you their opinion of the bike.

We'll help you come to a decision about just what you have and what you might want to do with it.

Cheers,

Owen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Dan,
Without photos and a component list we are in the dark as to your bike, dating, actual model and year. Provide us with that and maybe we can help.

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Owen! What are you doing with MY bike!

Looks like you're doing a great job.

My first pro bike was a 60cm 1971 Super Corsa just like yours except for MAFAC Competition brakes and an Ideale 90 saddle plus mine had Campy pedals and cranks with M14x1.25 French threads.

The pedals had G and D stamped in them - Gauche à Droite.

Yours are Italian and stamped S and D - Destra a Sinistra!

Back then French threaded Campy pedals and crank arms may have been scarce so they may have used Italian/British instead.

I got my bike for $150 during a closeout sale at the end of 1973. I bought my first Gitane at the same shop, an orange 60cm Grand Sport Deluxe. Later I worked there part time for awhile assembling bikes.

The problem was that the 60cm frames were to big for me! In early 1974 I found a brand new 1972 gold 57cm Super Corsa frame at another shop. I was able to swap it out for $100.

I've seen a number of white Gitane Tour de France and Super Corsa bikes from the early 70s with blue lug lining. I wonder if some of them came from the factory that way?

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:57 am Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Hey Chas,

Thanks for the story. This bike makes me very happy. I can't wait to get home to finish the rebuild. The new wheels will be ready and waiting.

The blue pin-striping here was put over the original gold by the original owner. He changed the handlebar tape to light blue, and, with a heavy dosing of wine (yeah, right!), he added this himself. Up close, it's not nice, but it passes the 5 ft test, so I'm ignoring it for now. Maybe some cold winter night, I re-do the gold.

Cheers,

Owen
Campy Seat Posts 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Campy 2 bolt seatposts are great.... if you have the proper 10mm wrench. Confused

You can make a nose angle adjustment of less than 1°.

This is a Schwinn seatpost wrench made for Campy seatposts and Brooks Pros on Paramounts. I bought it back in 1974. It's saved many a bruised knuckle. Notice the 12 point box end vs. the 6 point on the Campy wrenches.

You can take a long 10mm combination wrench with a 12 point box end and bend it about 30° near the middle. It should work fine.

The wide part of the rail seats and top clamps should be to the front of the Campy seat post. Don't ask me why but that's the way they were supposed to work. Confused

Last edited by verktyg on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Re: Campy Seat Posts 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
verktyg wrote:
You can take a long 10mm combination wrench with a 12 point box end and bend it about 30° near the middle. It should work fine.

Where would one find such a wrench that could be bent?

Jay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:33 pm Reply with quote
LeicaLad
The new style of ratcheting wrenches helps a lot.

As it turned out, my problem is actually the saddle. The rails are splayed and not evenly. A borrowed vise has helped, but it was still not balanced. It's one of the other things to deal with on my return.

My fall-back is a vintage Avocet Touring II saddle that came of the 77 PX10 I took back apart. I sold the frame, but have all the parts.

I'm searching for a 531 mixte frame for my winter project. If anyone sees one, please let me know.
Re: Campy Seat Posts 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
greyhundguy wrote:
verktyg wrote:

Where would one find such a wrench that could be bent? Jay

Sears Craftsman Model# 45989 $9.49

http://tinyurl.com/28oortw

Heat shank with torch and bend as needed

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:39 am Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Well,

Back from a scenic drive to/from Kansas.

Time to finish the rebuild of my 1971 Super Corsa.

First test ride was today. Very nice. Details and fine tuning, of course, remain.

Bar tape will be last thing, once I'm happy with brake lever position, etc.

The old Blackburn rack is somehow not quite right. I simply think it's the wrong size. It won't adjust any more level. I'll use it for the moment, but I will get a better one. I bought the last one Wayne had (Velo Classique), but it turned out to be for 23" frames or smaller. It's gone onto the wife's little Nishiki mixte.

Much grief from everyone about using the original campy pedals (they're considered too good to use! sigh.) So, I've loaded on a pair of NOS Way Assauto campy clones. They are definitely heavier, but have very nice bearings races. PowerGrips, 'cause I like 'em.

The Brooks saddle is off for the moment. An old Avocet Touring II from the old PX10 will stand in. Wayne (from Velo Classique) is contacting the Brooks USA people on my behalf. He thinks my saddle will be a "good test" of their new "repair center" status. We shall see.

A NOS 5-speed Cyclo 14-26 freewheel is in use for the moment. I might shift over to a better 13-28 6-speed, but that will require pushing the frame open a bit. I've done it on my TdF. Open to suggestions whether I should do that here, or not?

Cheers!

Owen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:52 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Owen,
Looks purrrrdy all cleaned up and nearly complete.

Jay

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:03 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Owen,

Gosh, that's a transformation and more. There's only one word - superb! What a job.

You picked up a super machine with such little use of the components, they now look brand new, as does the machine.

I see you've had the wheels redone and remained with those wonderful Campagnolo large flange hubs. Are you now on high pressures rather than tubs?

Did you hang on to all the bits you replaced?

Enjoy that first ride and thanks for keeping us posted on your progress throughout.

Tim

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane