gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Ladies bike CYCLES GITANE Info Please?? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:49 am Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Learn about "sniping" - which is last second bidding. Don't bid until then, and then bid the maximum you are willing to spend. It won't go to the max, only what is needed to beat any other last second bid. YMMV.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote
campfire
I already do that but must have not left it late enough. There is a site called Snipe it now but I never have been successful with it.

Are parts difficult to source for this bike, ie bottom bracket or are they pretty standard?

Well, have a nice weekend. Do you actually have a Leica or probably 2?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Waaaay too many cameras. 15 Leica lenses. I'm still stuck on film, as the M-body digital starts at $6k.

That bike should be easily serviced. No reason BB shouldn't be fine. Sealed bearing units to fit are available, if & when you think you "need" one. Smile

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:48 am Reply with quote
campfire
Well, I actually WON it this time. And a tenner less than I bid last time. £62.00.

I just hope it is OK. If not I can give it the once over and describe it better than this guy did.

I'll take a pic and pop it on here so you can all see it.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

LeicaLad. I've my first Leica still, a Mini compact, then the Mini compact zoom which the latter was on Ebay. Not so good as the compact. I had R6 which I PX for M6, then as I wasn't using M6 enough & film transport was a bit tricky I unfortunately sold! Nowadays the other year I bought a Digilux II which is really nice and apparently quite a cult item nowadays. It's very good to use but not so nice as the M6.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:58 am Reply with quote
campfire
Well, I've been to collect it! That was a real day. I was to meet the person at New Brighton Station on the other side of the River Mersey. I decided only to ring when I was at the station. Sure after getting my ticket I tried to ring and the phone was out of order.

I remembered I'd got an Ebay invoice so went to that address. It wasn't there, but it seemed it was his son and the guy kindly took me there.

The bike - it's sooooo much nicer than I expected. So lightweight, almost like a road bike. It's raining so I am not taking a picture today. It will need a really good service, probably new cables and chain and I will put on new tyres and tubes. It's really worth it. I don't know whether to keep the little bike stand though! Is useful but does it meet the standard?

Took me 6 hours to get there and back -they did make me a cup of tea and give me a biscuit though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:11 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Anne,

I'll stick with this thread otherwise we'll be doubling up on info.

Well done on the bike, it sounds like you did very well.

Regards the kick stand - if you like it and it does the job, keep it on. It's a handy item to have and prevents saddle wear if the bike is normally leant by its saddle. I never rest a saddle against anything for that reason, instead by the back wheel and handlebars.

A great trick if cycling with others with nowhere to lean a bike is to lean two bikes against one another by resting the handlebars against the saddles, the bikes will then be back to front. It's a very stable and quick way to place them instead of laying them on their side or on the ground. If you do this, just be sure that the bike's wheels are something like a couple of feet apart to create the strength in the lean and the self support between both machines. If the ground is smooth, flat or level and it is likely that the bikes will roll, place a small stone or object under the rear wheels. It's a surprisingly rigid solution if set-up correctly.

All the best with the service and first ride.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:40 pm Reply with quote
campfire
Well, I can't download the pics onto here and don't know how to link to Flickr!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:38 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Anne,

To post images into your message use the 'Add image to post' link immediately to the bottom left of the message text box. It's slightly greyed out.

If you wish to post a link, just copy and paste the web address / URL including the 'http://' detail and the address should then be clickable once your message is posted. You can always preview your message before posting if you're not sure how it will look - for this you'll need the 'Preview' button below the bottom right of the message box, or next to the 'Submit' button.

If your URL is extremely long, it's often a good idea to use a URL shortening tool, such as http://tinyurl.com , then copy the shorter URL to your message.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:29 am Reply with quote
campfire
Here is a picture, if I can load any others I will do. Anyone any idea of age please? I'm sure the Mavics are not original?

It seems someone has drilled the rims making the valve hole larger. The inner tube has been put in with valve crooked, that must be changed. I want to get new tyres a bit puncture proof but not expense of m/++++s, any suggestions please.

Thanks for the help in submitting the images Tim.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:48 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Anne,
The decals seem to indicate bike from the first part of the 1980's.

A very attractive ride and worth the several hours to collect it along with the bonus of tea and biscuit.

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Anne,
Here you go. It looks like the "Vichy" in the '84 catalog (bottom right) but with 1983 decals.

http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1984/british/1984-British-catalogue0003.jpg

Jay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:23 am Reply with quote
campfire
It does, Greyhundguy, apart from the racks and handlebars. So it was probably designed as a lightweight tourer. The bars look original though and have 'designs' on them.

I'm going to try standing on the scales with it. I might break the scales though (only joking)

I am trying to find some puncture resistant tyres which don't cost a fortune as I've got to replace those on my Orange with similar, but probably better as I use that a fair amount.

If anyone else wants to see more photos I will download them, I just didn't want to bore anyone. I took a few different ones of the bike.

Now I need to sell my Peugeot to make a bit of room!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:34 am Reply with quote
vanhelmont
Anne,
Nice bike, and it goes well with the Volkswagen in the third picture.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for a Gitane for my daughter. I got her a Centurion mixte, which looks great, and goes well with my Super Corsa, but it's heavy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
campfire wrote:
I am trying to find some puncture resistant tyres which don't cost a fortune

Anne,
The Panaracer Pasela Tour Guard (Kevlar) is a good choice for a reasonable price. They are also a very comfortable riding tire.

Jay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:54 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Anne,

You did very well, the bike looks to be in superb condition. The actual weight of the bike would be interesting.

It's always worth posting more photos and certainly post to the Owner Gallery. You'll have an impossible task to bore anyone on this forum regards Gitane. It's Gitane paradise!

Best place for reasonably priced tyres would perhaps be Ebay or bicycle jumbles. There are so many types of tyre but I've personally had a lot of success with the Vittoria Zaffiro. It's a general day to day tyre that I use on my regular ride. It does the job, it's cheap and I've had one puncture in the rear in about 1,000 miles - http://tinyurl.com/2db5nlv

Actually on the tyre front, I would be interested to know what other members use as their general / every day tyres.

Jay,

Just seen your post, thanks for the tip. That Panaracer looks good. Nice to see proper grip coming back, it went out of fashion for many years.

Tim

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane