gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Stronglight 93 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Stronglight 93 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
LeicaLad
I have a question for the tech gurus.

I have acquired a NOS Stronglight 93 crankset. This one came with the Cyclo-Cross guard ring and two smaller chainrings (a 42 & 40) attached. I have a NOS 51t ring already in my parts box.

Looking at this, it would seem that the bolts, being long enough for the Cyclo-Cross guard AND for two smaller rings (one spacer between the smaller rings), would be long enough to turn this crank into a triple by replacing the outer guard ring with the larger (51t in this case) ring, and using the smaller rings that were there. Yes?

Now, obviously, I'm gonna want a different mix of my smaller rings than 42 & 40. The smallest the 93 takes is a 38t, but I could go, say, 51-44-38, or some such combo, yes?

In fact, given these bolts, would I HAVE to have three rings?

I guess I can play jig-saw puzzle and see what works, but I thought I'd ask the gurus first.

Thanks,

Owen

If photos are needed, I can do it in the sunlight tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote
LeicaLad
While I'm asking questions about this: What axle/spindle length would be required to use a triple 93 on a Gitane?

Thanks.
Stronglight 93 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Stronglight offered the long chainring bolts for the model 93 cranks so that they could be used at least 3 ways: as a triple, a single sprocket cyclocross with a guard on each side or a double with a cyclocross guard on the outside to protect you pants from getting caught in the chain.

During the mid 70s Raleigh sold bikes with the lawyer induced pants guard ring. Rolling Eyes

The 38T Stronglight chain rings are pretty rare and sell for a bunch! There were also some even more rare 37T chainrings. I have 3 of them that I bought as 38T and didn't know until I counted teeth. Very Happy

Say you went to a 53T, 45T, 38T combo, that would have a lot of overlaps and not much range.

There are a lot great, readily available triple cranks with the capacity for much smaller inner chainrings.

If you want to get to a model 93 triple, you would need a 125mm wide spindle. They made some 123mm wide ones too.

A better choice might be to get a bag of Sugino double chainring bolts. They look just like the original Stronglight bolts but sell for around $11 USD.

That way you can get some reasonably priced Stronglight chainrings and have a functional double.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:05 am Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Thanks, Chas.

I’m collecting parts to rebuild my aged TdF. I snagged this crank w/o really thinking it through. I’m pleasantly surprised that the cyclo-cross guard is better made than I remembered, but I still don’t like the look nor want it. At some point, I guess I’ll sell it.

OTOH, lower gearing is clearly part of the necessary aging response. The Triple hadn’t really been an idea until I realized that these bolts made it possible. I can always swap out my original cranks bolts, and then sell my old one as a triple set up. (I say this as a classic pack-rat who doesn’t seem to sell much of anything.)

Wayne, at Velo Classique, has a 39t ring, but it is a newer version. As an inner ring, I guess it doesn’t matter.

Are you willing to part with one of your 38s??? I’m thinking 51-38 as a double.

As for spindles, I have a Campy triple axle, but not the right cups. I also have a sealed-bearing OMAS triple BB that was on my PX-10. It was attached to an Avocet triple that is essentially new. I’d use that, but I love the look of the Stronglight. And this new one IS new!

Thanks for all the advice, as usual.

Owen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
vanhelmont
Owen,

I did a mix-and-match bottom bracket, and ended up using TA cups, a Campy spindle, and Sachs New Success cranks, which are relabeled Campy. I ended up with almost nos non-matching Campy cups i don't need. (I used them a little before I decided the TA cups worked better, I don't know why. It may be that the bb surfaces need to be faced, but I don't know who does that around here, and I didn't look much because the TA cups, which looked bad, work fine.) As I remember, the drive side cup is black, and has a groove where the spindle goes through it that is supposed to cause debris to works its way out as you pedal, and I think it's Chorus. The other cup is chrome, and isn't distinctive, I don't know what group it is for. I just got what turned up on ebay, and didn't worry much that they didn't match because you don't see them both at once.
I know some French thread cups are thick and some are thin, but I didn't know what I needed anyway.
If you need one or both cups pm me.
Dave
Dave

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Thanks.

It all gets a bit confusing. The Campy triple is not "supposed" to be used with standard cups, but instead with what are called "thin" cups.

I actually have two NOS Campy BBs. One is NR from the mid-late 70s, the other is a SR from early 80s. Those are doubles, and French threaded, to boot. BUT, if I read the literature correctly, are not to be used with the old (NR of the 70s) triple axle.

Jay has just sent me a Stronglight triple axle. I haven't seen anything that says this can't be used with the original Stronglight BB cups. BUT, I have no idea what condition those original cups are in. They shouldn't be bad, as the bike has essentially been in storage for decades. The last time the BB was overhauled was, however, decades ago.

I have almost an embarrassment of parts - considering how few frames I have. I have 4 cranksets, three NOS and one 98% new. Two are triples, two doubles.

Sigh. I gotta find that one special frame...

Owen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:36 am Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Oh, just for entertainment:

The OMAS BB that was used with the Avocet triple has the advantage of being a sealed bearing unit that uses press-on bearings. I've pulled off the old ones. New bearings are about $9, OR I can go with the hybrid ceramic bearings for about $25. Full ceramic for about $50.

Very tempting, just for the hell of it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:47 am Reply with quote
scozim
What would work great for you would be the 52-36 like my cottered Nervar. But then, you have the problem of the cottered cranks. Smile

Do you need the triple or would a 51-38 work for you? That gets close to the 50-36 compact double my dad rides on his Vitus 979. There was a place in Australia that would make a new 38t chainring. I don't remember their name but I posted it here last year.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Absolutely true.

This is not a rush situation. This is a project for next year for which I'm just collecting the parts.

I could go 51-40 with what I have in hand for the Stronglight.

Maybe Chas will be willing to sell me one of his stash of 38s for a reasonable price... Who knows?

I'm looking at the triple just 'cause I suddenly have the pieces to make it work. The double may be the practical solution.

It's just interesting to consider the options.

Thanks for the thoughts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Actually, maybe Chas would part with one of his 37t rings... ! ! ! (?)

Very Happy
My Bad! 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
LeicaLad wrote:
Jay has just sent me a Stronglight triple axle. I haven't seen anything that says this can't be used with the original Stronglight BB cups.

Owen,
My bad! It will fit fine. I thought I had said this was from the TdF I sold to another list member after switching it to a 118 double for him.

Jay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:01 am Reply with quote
vanhelmont
Owen,
You do have a wealth of parts to choose from. If you decide to be old fashioned,and you don't use the OMAS, the cup thickness is related to the distance between the ridges on the spindle. If the ridges are farther apart, they go with thinner cups, so if you can find a bb where they are similar to the spindle you want to use, those cups should work for you.
Dave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:15 am Reply with quote
LeicaLad
Interesting. Not having a micrometer, nor enough experience, I don't think I would see the difference. Thus, I depend on what old tech documents I can find and, especially, the sage advice offered here.

French-threaded NR Campy triple cups will probably be either hard to find, or dreadfully dear. That alone may push me to use either the Stronglight or the OMAS.

Still in search of either a 37t or 38t Stronglight chainring. Anyone?

Owen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:26 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
LeicaLad wrote:
Still in search of either a 37t or 38t Stronglight chainring. Anyone?

I believe Chas. is ignoring you. Come on Chas., offer one up to Owen.

Jay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:05 am Reply with quote
scozim
LeicaLad wrote:
Not having a micrometer
Owen

Best investment I made was to go the local tool supply store and picked up some digital measuring calipers. I use them every time I end up working on a bike. You can find them on the online as well.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
Stronglight 93 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane