gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Selling my Tour de France
Selling my Tour de France 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:52 am Reply with quote
trailrunner
I've decided to sell my Tour de France. I bought it new in 1973 while working in a bike shop just outside Buffalo, NY. I rode it a lot for many years, but for the past 15 it's just been collecting dust. Here are some pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53756129@N08/

- I bought it in early 1973, but it's probably a 1972. I'm not sure.
- 23.5 inch frame, white. I took all the stickers off when I first got it, except for the Reynolds decals.
- Campy hubs and Mavic rims. The tires were rotted, and I haven't gotten replacements.
- Mafac Competition brakes. The rubber hoods are in rough shape.
- Unicanitor saddle and seat post
- Cinelli bars and stem
- Zeus front derailleur
- Suntour Cyclone rear derailleur
- Stronglight cranks and Lyotard pedals. I don't know what happened to the toe clips.
- Chain rings are 52 and 42, I also have a 48 that's included.
- I have a Stronglight crank tool that's included.
- Silca frame pump (blue), with a small crack in the body. It still works, though.

It's priced at $350, not including any shipping. I'm located just north of Fort Worth, TX. If you need more info or want more pictures, just ask. I'd like it to go to someone that appreciates these older Gitanes, like all the people on this forum.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote
trailrunner
Hmmmm. No replies or interest. Am I way over-priced? Is this not the place to find a buyer? I thought I'd get a few responses. Guess my next step is craigslist and/or ebay.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Kinst VonSterga
If it was one size larger, I would buy it ... as it looks to be a very good shape! The asking price (based on the frame condition and parts) seems to be reasonable. In terms of no replies so far, it must be that Zeus front derailleur that is scaring off the rest of them Very Happy
Zeus Components 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:18 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Zeus components have ALWAYS been bad mouthed by the snobbish Campagnolo cognoscenti. Rolling Eyes

While most of the Zeus components where Campagnolo knock offs, the quality varied from slightly less than Campy products to far better than Campy products. Zeus headsets were a prime example.

We sold Zeus bikes and components during the 70s and I don't recall ever having to replace a Zeus headset whereas Campy headsets where made with much softer heat treatment than the equivalent Zeus headset parts. Campy lower headset parts were about 47rc to 55rc hardness while Zeus were consistently 60rc. We replaced a lot of Campy Nuovo Record headsets.

Zeus components were much more popular in the UK than in the US!

Campy = vanity! Rolling Eyes

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
trailrunner
When I bought it, the shop owner said, "First thing you need to do is get rid of that Simplex front derailleur." He handed me the Zeus. It and the Suntour rear shift like a dream.

"If it was one size larger", it's already two sizes too big for me! For all the years I've owned it and all the miles I ridden it, it never fit me right. Thanks for the feedback.

Re: Zeus Components 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Kinst VonSterga
verktyg wrote:
Zeus components have ALWAYS been bad mouthed by the snobbish Campagnolo cognoscenti. Rolling Eyes
While most of the Zeus components where Campagnolo knock offs, the quality varied from slightly less than Campy products to far better than Campy products. Zeus headsets were a prime example.
Campy = vanity! Rolling Eyes

LOL ... Chas will take a cheap blow against us campy lovers any chance he can get Very Happy I have some other gitanes, but most of them came with old campy parts installed. Thinking about it, I'm starting to get quite a collection of Italian parts from all of these french bicycles that I've acquired over the years, go figure? Some of them are obvious upgrades, but the majority of what I own have campy nuovo/record grouppos that are dated the same year that the frame was made (at least for the higher-end gitanes from 1972 and earlier), so I'm hard pressed to downgrade them to simplex or side-grade them to Zeus or some prevailing Japanese brand, and retaining the parts that came w/the frames is more a cost-saving issue, than any implied snobbery ... even though some of the parts looks like works of art.
Selling my Tour de France 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane