gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » picked up my first gitane!!
picked up my first gitane!! 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:57 am Reply with quote
winetaster
Hi Everyone,

Just picked up my first Gitane not to long ago, Wow i love this bike. I just started riding this summer and have gone thru a series of different older bikes but this one takes the cake. It's a criterium road bike from the mid 80"S I think??? If anyone else can tell me a more accurate year i would really appreciate it! Other than that it has all original components on it from what I can tell. Bernard Hinault turbo saddle and some other hinault stickers on the derailer. Simplex derailers, weinmann 405 brakes, stronglight crank, mavic wheels with normandy luxe competition hubs and a super vitus 983 frame.

1984 Criterium 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Welcome to the Forum. Very Happy

You have a 1984 Gitane Criterium. Nice bike!

(right click to see full size pictures)

http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1984/Page_04.jpg
http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1984/Page_08.jpg
http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1984/Page_02-b.jpg

The 3 main tubes are Super Vitus 983, the forks and rear triangle are made of slightly heavier Vitus 181 tubing.

This bike uses the same frame geometry as the Team, Super Corsa and Tour de France models. These are super handling bikes.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote
winetaster
84 thought so, thanks Chas! Based on the specs in the catalog everything does seems to be original, I dont think this bike was ridden very often. A bit off topic, but i see in that gitane had a p.o. box here in wisconsin, Am i to believe that they were making bikes alongside trek?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote
verktyg
winetaster wrote:
bit off topic, but i see in that gitane had a p.o. box here in wisconsin, Am i to believe that they were making bikes alongside trek?

I've looked into the Trek/Gitane connection quite a bit. It appears that for a while in the early to mid 80s Trek was importing and marketing Gitane bikes in the US under the name Cycles de France, Inc.

Trek sold some top of the line models as bare frames. They may have even painted some frames and assembled some of the models but they didn't build any Gitane frames that I'm aware of.

Sort of an unholy alliance if you ask me, much like the French celebration of the Italian wine harvest! Laughing

The 1987 US Gitane catalog shows the name changed from Cycles de France to Gitane of America, Inc. located in Olney, IL.

In the 1988 US catalog the address is Hastings, MN. There is no US address in the 1990 catalog.

Gitane's presence in the US faded away after the end of the Bike Boom in 1974. Mel Pinto Imports in Northern Virgina was the primary Gitane importer/distributor during the 1960s and early 70s. For whatever reason, in 1974, Gitane Pacific in Southern California became the Gitane importers. BAD timing! Rolling Eyes

Gitane Pacific appears to have closed up shop in 1977. For the next few years Gitanes were being imported by a number of small wholesalers and bike shops including 1 or 2 in Northern California.

Trek had a reputation for building touring bikes and were not very big in the racing scene until the early 80s. It's been suggested that Gitane's success and notoriety with riders like Hinault, Lemond and Fignon attracted Treks attention and thus the short lived marriage. Confused

So, after 1974, Gitanes became less and less common in the US.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote
trois tubes
I'm with you 100% winetaster. Since 1979 I have (had) many bikes but this one out performs them all. Vitus is a superb tubing and the geometry makes for a very nice ride. Mine has 980 tubing for the fork.

Criterium Tubing 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:06 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
trois tubes wrote:
Vitus is a superb tubing and the geometry makes for a very nice ride. Mine has 980 tubing for the fork.

Interesting, I have eBay pictures of a Criterium frame that I didn't win... Crying or Very sad

It had Super Vitus 983 decals on the forks too but I've seen several without any fork decals.

The 1984 specs say Super Vitus 983 main tube with Vitus 181 forks and stays. Both of these tube varieties were made of the same chrome-moly alloy steel with the same kind of strength as Reynolds 531 or Columbus tubing.

Vitus 181 forks and stays had slightly heavier wall thicknesses than the equivalent Super Vitus 983 tubes. They would have been about the same thickness as the most commonly used Reynolds 531 tubing while the Super Vitus 983 main tubes would have been much lighter. SV 980 forks would have been lighter yet.

With or without Super Vitus 983 forks and stays the frame geometry makes for a superb riding and handling bike.

I like the blue color on the 1984 Criterium bikes. It's much more attractive than the "muddy blue" color on my 1984 Super Corsa.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote
winetaster
chas I have to agree with you on color, this is a very nice blue compared to some of the other blue's out there. GL on bidding the next time a similar bike come up for auction Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
verktyg wrote:

Sort of an unholy alliance if you ask me...... ........It's been suggested that Gitane's success and notoriety with riders like Hinault, Lemond and Fignon attracted Treks attention and thus the short lived marriage. Confused

I dunno Chas. I actually wonder if Trek learned a few things from Gitane. Both brands focused on mass production. Rather than ask what is the best way to build a bike, they asked what is the best way to build 10,000 bikes. They existed in very different times in terms of manufacturing technique, but both pursued and achieved the same result. Mass produced racing bikes that were good enough for the Pro's, but cheap enough for the average Joe to own one. The second similarity is their marketing technique: Race on Sunday, buy on Monday.

Interesting that these are the only two brands to have won the TdF 9 times, eh? (but Gitane still had more champions Wink )

Delta Dreamin'
Gitane and Trek 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
It was suggested that Trek copied Gitanes frame geometry in the early 80s.

A former Trek employee staunchly denied any connection but someone else said that Treks handled better after the honeymoon? Rolling Eyes

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
scozim
verktyg wrote:
I've looked into the Trek/Gitane connection quite a bit. It appears that for a while in the early to mid 80s Trek was importing and marketing Gitane bikes in the US under the name Cycles de France, Inc.

Trek sold some top of the line models as bare frames. They may have even painted some frames and assembled some of the models but they didn't build any Gitane frames that I'm aware of.

Sort of an unholy alliance if you ask me, much like the French celebration of the Italian wine harvest! Laughing

Trek had a reputation for building touring bikes and were not very big in the racing scene until the early 80s. It's been suggested that Gitane's success and notoriety with riders like Hinault, Lemond and Fignon attracted Treks attention and thus the short lived marriage. Confused

Bummer - I just got a 1981 Trek 510 on the cheap (really light) this past Friday. It's feels like a cross between race and touring geometry - long wheelbase but decent angles. It would have been really cool if it had been a Gitane frame but with Ishiwata tubing I'm afraid it's not.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
scozim wrote:

Bummer - I just got a 1981 Trek 510 on the cheap (really light) this past Friday. It's feels like a cross between race and touring geometry - long wheelbase but decent angles. It would have been really cool if it had been a Gitane frame but with Ishiwata tubing I'm afraid it's not.

I still have a 2001 Trek 5500. It's got no gitane mystique, but it's an awesome frame. Modern gear on it for racing. Not quite as light or stiff as the newest carbon but still a great bike. Shhhh, don't tell Sandman that we're talking about bikes from the "dark side". Wink

Delta Dreamin'
Trek Quality 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:51 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
We sold a few Trek frames back in the 70s.

Trek made very well designed and built frames. The build quality of Trek frames was superior to 95% of the sacred hallowed named Italian frames! Mad

I don't recall of ever hearing about a frame failure on a classic era Trek bike. Italian frames on the other hand... Embarassed

During their first 10 years of so, Trek never got any respect from the raceur set. They lack vanity appeal!

Trek made their reputation during the Bikecentennial era among tourists and commuters as well equipped dependable bikes for everyday use.

They used more than just Ishiwata tubing. The also used Reynolds, Columbus, Tange and True Temper tubing back in the day...

http://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek_timeline.htm

I need to add a Trek to my flock! Wink

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro