gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Which Reynolds decals would be correct? Goto page 1, 2  Next
Which Reynolds decals would be correct? 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
FORDSVTPARTS
Assuming either of these look proper.

The bike in question is a 1976ish Tour de France.

http://www.velocals.com/servlet/the-24/Reynolds-531c-frame-%26/Detail

http://www.velocals.com/servlet/the-17/1970%27s-Reynolds-531-Butted/Detail

Right now there's only the remains of the ones on the fork legs, assuming it should have one on the frame where would it go?

I'll be bugging you guys a lot for advice on this bike, I'm also wondering if I need to look for anything special as far as pedals go, I understand it should have Lyotards which I won't mind changing out since the existing pedals are horribly uncomfortable.
Which decals? Neither! 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Which decals? Neither!

The correct decals would look like these... And in French! Cool

The frame decal goes on the down tube right above the shift levers.

But, but, but... the fork decal on your bike looks like the older pre 1974 style.

Greg Softly from Australia make some pretty good "repops". His eBay sellers name is Cyclomondo. He may be on vacation because I don't see anything presently listed by him.

Pre 1974 Reynolds decals looked like these:

In 1974 they switched to this style:

Last edited by verktyg on Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:34 am Reply with quote
FORDSVTPARTS
Thank you, that's exactly why I ask here first.

I keep seeing the Cyclomondo name mentioned on different forums, hopefully he turns back up soon.

Any tips on the question of proper pedals?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:14 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Parts,
I have a spare, and original, Gitane seat tube decal for sale if you are interested in putting one back on there. Contact me off list by PM.

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
FORDSVTPARTS
So just to be sure, here are the remains of both 531 decals.

They look like Pre-1974 style to me.
Early style fork decals. 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Yes, they're the pre 1974 style Reynolds fork decals. Gitane probably kept using them until the were out or Reynolds provided them to Gitane after 1974 because they still had a lot of old style French decals to use up.

With the new style decals and better paint, Gitane like many other bike makers moved the tubing decals from the seat tube to the down tube near the shift levers.

The reason was that many shops had started using bike stands that gripped the seat tube. The slightest rotation while working on the bike in the stand (such as loosening or tightening the BB) and there went the Reynolds, Columbus or whatever tubing decal.

Some decals may have still been put on the seat tube at the factory after 1974 but most were on the down tube.

One other possibility, there is lots of evidence that Gitane Pacific was assembling Gitanes from bare painted frames in Southern California during the mid 70s. Those folks didn't have a clue so who knows?

Here's a picture of an NOS 1974 or 75 Interclub with a Reynolds 531 3 Tubes decal on the seat tube. There was a display hang tag describing it as an Interclub.

I suspect that this was actually a 1974 or 75 Tour de France frame that Gitane Pacific assembled with Interclub components. Interclubs had short point Bocama lugs. This one has long point Bocama Professional lugs.

BTW, I think that Jay was referring to a yellow Gitane seat tube decal, not a Reynolds decal.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Correct Pedals 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
The correct pedals most likely would have been Lyotard 460d pedals.

These had alloy cages and were some of the lightest pedals made. They were dirt cheap and worked well. They were also some of the widest pedals on the market at the time.

I have very wide feet so I used them on most of my bikes, even all Campy ones. Wink

The pedals on your bike look like period correct after market models, maybe Spanish made Olympics. If they fit use them. Chances are that the cranks have M14x1.25 metric threads and those size pedals are hard to find.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Re: Correct Pedals 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Kinst VonSterga
verktyg wrote:
The correct pedals most likely would have been Lyotard 460d pedals.

... They were dirt cheap and worked well.

The connection points (cage to spindle) began to weaken quickly, especially if your a heavier rider over > 190lbs. They were cheap & light to which I agree, but unfortunately I've had to change mine out mine out for an equivalent rat-trap "retro" pedal from Electra. Another complaint was that they would "creak" on load so I guess this vintage-correct model is a hit or miss in terms of its durability.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote
FORDSVTPARTS
Great info on the pedals, thanks.

The ones on the bike don't fit me well at all and since it was mentioned that the aluminum Lyotards don't hold up to heavier riders very well (me=215 lbs) I may just swap out for the set of steel Lyotards that I've currently got in the garage.
Lyotard 460D Pedals 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:37 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
I have a set that I've been using since 1975! Cool

I weighed 175 Lbs. back then and was putting on up to 200 miles a week. Those pedals have been on at least 5 different bikes and still work fine. I'm 235 now and I still use 460d pedals on about 5-6 bikes.

The only thing I could say is if they have hit a curb or the ground on a tight corner that could loosen the cages. I used them off road riding in the 70s and I crunched a few up hitting rocks.

In 1992 I discovered Sakae/SR MTB pedals which are extra wide. They've been discontinued for a number of years and they are not as robust as they look but I have them on a lot of my bikes. When they get old, they tend to have an annoying click.

Here's a few of my bikes with Lyotard 460D pedals:

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:56 am Reply with quote
FORDSVTPARTS
I guess I will have to watch for those pedals but in the mean time I think I'll switch to the steel ones at least.

Do these decals look correct, they say they're for older bikes but unless I'm missing something they look like the ones pictured above.

http://cgi.ebay.com/REYNOLDS-531-FRENCH-D-butt-1953-65-decals-NOS-set-3-/390256116907?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item5add13c4ab

Best too 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:05 am Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
Lyotard 460d for me too the best all around pedals. I made small tip up pieces out of cut down toe clips to swing the pedal up and much easier than others to get into. So nice and wide and
impossible to destroy. My crank arms bent first in falls and pedals still ok after 38 years and many rebuilds and they are cheap. This is an old pair!

Dan
French Reynolds Decals 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:23 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
FORDSVTPARTS wrote:
I guess I will have to watch for those pedals but in the mean time I think I'll switch to the steel ones at least.

Pedals, find some that are comfortable for YOU! Wink

There's nothing worse than "hot foot" on a long ride (save maybe a sore butt).

Hot foot results from pressure points in the pedal that push up through your shoes and/or pressure from the straps on the sides of of your feet.

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:
Do these decals look correct, they say they're for older bikes but unless I'm missing something they look like the ones pictured above.
http://cgi.ebay.com/REYNOLDS-531-FRENCH-D-butt-1953-65-decals-NOS-set-3-/390256116907?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item5add13c4ab

One problem with "repop" replica decals is that many of them are made from replicas of replicas of replicas. They have a lot of "feature sprawl" where some of the original details have been lost or changed.

Many repop Reynolds decals have too dark of a green color for the 531 characters. The post 1974 decals started using a darker green color but many of the classic era decals were much paler green. The French decals from the late 60s and early 70s were almost gray! Shocked

I used to think that decals like these were faded until I pulled several new Gitanes out of the box with them.

These gray-green ones were more common on French bikes.

Here's a bad repop.

This is a post 1974 style. I like this color better.

Compare these with the ones above.

There's a possibility that this is a bad eBay picture. I lightened it a bit and if they looked like this then they would be OK.

I'd been told back in the day that Reynolds used as many a 7 different suppliers for their decals. That would account for a lot of the variences. Also, the folks at Reynolds probably never figured that 30 years on collectors would be fretting over minor details on their tubing stickers.

Reynolds fiercely defended the use and reproduction of their tubing decals. Several folks who made bogus Reynolds decals received visits from Reynolds' lawyers with cease and desist orders! Shocked

BTW, It seems as if Greg Softley/Cyclomondo is off of eBay. I hope not because it would be a big loss.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Re: Best too 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Frenchbuilt wrote:
Lyotard 460d for me too the best all around pedals. I made small tip up pieces out of cut down toe clips to swing the pedal up and much easier than others to get into. So nice and wide and
impossible to destroy. My crank arms bent first in falls and pedals still ok after 38 years and many rebuilds and they are cheap. This is an old pair!

Dan

Nice trick with the flip tab! Cool

I used to enjoy watching Campy aficionados look on in horror as I rode my 1978 all Campy Colnago Super equipped with cheapo Lyotard 460D pedals. Twisted Evil

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Re: French Reynolds Decals 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Kinst VonSterga
verktyg wrote:

Reynolds 531

Do you know how far back the "Custom Made" sticker was used by Gitane?
Which Reynolds decals would be correct? 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane