gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Which Reynolds decals would be correct? Goto page Previous  1, 2
Re: French Reynolds Decals 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Kinst VonSterga wrote:
Do you know how far back the "Custom Made" sticker was used by Gitane?

My guess is that Gitane started using them around 1968. There's one on my 1969 TdF and the rest of my Gitanes up through 1974. Confused

We always thought that they were a joke... Rolling Eyes

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
He's Back... 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Greg at Cyclomondo in back on eBay with his great assortment of repop decals.

Pre 1974 Reynolds French decals

http://tinyurl.com/25v9xbr

Post 1974 Reynolds French decals

http://tinyurl.com/2bfrkes

Later in the 70s Reynolds changed the address block on their decals from Reynolds Tubes Ltd. to TI Reynolds Limited.

BTW, all the usual disclaimers, no relation to the seller, yada, yada, yada..

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
FORDSVTPARTS
Awesome, thanks so much for the links!!

Here's a couple shots of the TdF after some light cleanup.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Nice. The new Reynolds decals will look great on that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:38 am Reply with quote
FORDSVTPARTS
Okay, so I ordered the 531 decals from Cyclomondo.

I'm looking for advice as to where I should place the frame decal on my TdF.

Should it go up high on the seat post or above the shifters on the downtube?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:51 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Steve,
On my all original '76 TdF the "All tubes" 531 decals are high on the seat tube and the right (drive side) fork blade.

Jay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
In 1974 Gitane changed the location of the Reynolds 531 decals from the top of the seat tube to the down tube just above the shift levers.

Several reasons for this: first, bike work stands that gripped the seat tube had become very popular and the slightest movement of the frame in the clamp would bark off the Reynolds decals. Secondly, many frame pumps had clamps that covered the most prestigious thing on the bike, the Reynolds 531 stickers.

Back in the day, replacements were COMPLETELY unavailable. They became sacred objects among bikies, the most revered thing on their bike.

Sometime around 1975 or 76, I wrote several letters to Reynolds about obtaining replacement decals for use on new bikes that arrived at our shop with damaged Reynolds stickers. Also for frames that I'd built where the decals got damaged during application.

I finally received a curt response saying NO and WHY NOT! Reynolds was beyond paranoid that someone would put one of their sacred decals on a cheap gas pipe bike and try to sell it as a premium model.

BTW, I think that we tend to have a skewed view about high end bikes. Better quality bikes from European makers never amounted to more than a few percent of all of the bikes imported into the US during the 1960s and 70s.

One reason that there seems to be a lot of them available is that many of those bikes have been sitting in garages or basements for many years. The owners never wanted to part with them.

Now as many Baby Boomers are downsizing their lifestyles and moving into smaller quarters, their significant others (who always hated the bike in their house) are finally in a position to demand (while pointing and shaking their index finger up and down) "Get THAT THING out of here!". Crying or Very sad

"Geeze, I'm gonna miss you", (the bike not her...) Laughing

Chas. the aging, happy bachelor with all my bikes intact! Wink

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Re: Reynolds Decal Location 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:41 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
verktyg wrote:
In 1974 Gitane changed the location of the Reynolds 531 decals from the top of the seat tube to the down tube just above the shift levers.

Several reasons for this: first, bike work stands that gripped the seat tube had become very popular and the slightest movement of the frame in the clamp would bark off the Reynolds decals. Secondly, many frame pumps had clamps that covered the most prestigious thing on the bike, the Reynolds 531 stickers.

Back in the day, replacements were COMPLETELY unavailable. They became sacred objects among bikies, the most revered thing on their bike.

Sometime around 1975 or 76, I wrote several letters to Reynolds about obtaining replacement decals for use on new bikes that arrived at our shop with damaged Reynolds stickers. Also for frames that I'd built where the decals got damaged during application.

I finally received a curt response saying NO and WHY NOT! Reynolds was beyond paranoid that someone would put one of their sacred decals on a cheap gas pipe bike and try to sell it as a premium model.

BTW, I think that we tend to have a skewed view about high end bikes. Better quality bikes from European makers never amounted to more than a few percent of all of the bikes imported into the US during the 1960s and 70s.

One reason that there seems to be a lot of them available is that many of those bikes have been sitting in garages or basements for many years. The owners never wanted to part with them.

Now as many Baby Boomers are downsizing their lifestyles and moving into smaller quarters, their significant others (who always hated the bike in their house) are finally in a position to demand (while pointing and shaking their index finger up and down) "Get THAT THING out of here!". Crying or Very sad

"Geeze, I'm gonna miss you", (the bike not her...) Laughing

Chas. the aging, happy bachelor with all my bikes intact! Wink

Steve,
As I said, mine came with it, and still has it, on the seat tube so it appears there is no right or wrong answer. I do know that in 1976 (mine) very few TdF's came into the US market. Maybe that's all there is to it. It's up to you as to placement at this point.

Jay

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane