gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Gitane Service Course
Gitane Service Course 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:48 am Reply with quote
dannod52
I'm new to this board so please bear with me. I'm trying to identify the year this bike was built, but have no clue where to start. Also the value, as I don't ride it at all and would part with it. The bike says Service Course on the top tube. Looks to be a 25" frame. It is light blue, with chrome decals and chrome lower front forks, decal on the down tube that says 'custom made', MAFAC 'Racer' brakes. Looks like Simplex rear and Suntour front derailleur. Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

Gitane Interclub 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Greetings and welcome to the Forum.

Gitane used the MylarŪ foil decals like on your bike from about 1968 until early 1974.

All of Gitane's racing or performance models from that era had the Service Course decals on the top tube plus silver foil decals on the seat tube.

There was also a model decal on the down tube. On your bikes it looks like it's right there where the "Flicker" device (that keeps the wheel straight when stationary) is located.

Your bike is a 1972-73 Interclub model. This was Gitane's amateur racing bike. Most of the French bike maanufacturers offered a similar model during the early 70s.

These bikes were usually equipped the same as the entry level models like Gitane's Gran Sport except that the frames used racing geometry and they were equipped with sewup (tubular) tires. The Interclub also had aluminum alloy bars.

Someone changed the sewup rims to clinchers, the Simplex front derailleur to a Suntour, the 5 speed freewheel to a 6 speed and added bar end shifters. They also changed the seat and added later model MAFAC brake lever hoods.

Some Interclubs were made with Durifort or similar lighter weight tubing while other used the standard tubing used on the Gran Sport model. If it has a 25.8mm seat post then it's the standard Gitane tubing.

An Interclub this size with sewup wheels would weigh about 24.5 Lbs. Clincher wheels add a pound or two (a Reynolds 531 frame this size with sewups might weigh 23 Lbs.).

About 1972 or so, Gitane started using Sugino Maxi cotterless alloy cranks instead of cottered steel cranks.

I had several Interclubs back in the 70s. A lot of Forum members have them and really like those bikes.

The bike looks like it's in very good condition. With a little elbow grease. cleaning and polishing it should look great!

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
dannod52
Wow! So much info from a few pictures. It has been sitting in my basement for some time. I got it 20+ years ago when it was attached to a Wind Trainer. Just decided to start cleaning things out and was going to give it to Goodwill. Then I saw the 'Made In France' sticker on it and started investigating. The sticker you are talking about says 'Interclub'. I will clean it up a bit and and probably throw it on EBay, unless you know someone that wants it. Would rather have it go to someone that is familiar with it.

Thanks again for your input.

Dan
Gitane Service Course 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane