gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Gitane- To be or not to be
Gitane- To be or not to be 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
seaneee
Hey all. It's been a while since I've posted here, but thought this would be the place to get the best opinions.

I recently bought this frame and the seller suggested it was a gitane. I'm not 100% convinced, but would like to hear from you all.

Fork is 100% chrome with paint over. Kelly green color, looks like it might be a respray, but done professionally. Only reynolds decals. Huret honeycomb dropouts. The seatpost size is around 26.6 (all I had was a 26.0 and a 26.6 to test). Lots of room with 26.0 and 26.6 seemed to fit. Could be 26.8, but have to find a post to test.

Front ends are pretty worn out, but I think I can make out a Gipiemme. Really hard to tell. Originally though the fork was not original to the bike because of the GPM ends and the recessed brake hole, but both the BB on the frame and the fork steerer tube are stamped "14". Now onto the pics.

Lots more pics here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/seaneee175/Gitane_or_not?authkey=Gv1sRgCL3K9MKf7tyfJA#

Thanks in advance for the help!
A Genuine Batard! 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Sean,

I've only seen Huret honeycomb rear dropouts on 1974-77 Gitanes plus on one mid 70s British made Dawes and a French built Velo-Solex from the same era.

The swagged seat stay caps look like Gitanes.

Gitane used brake cable clamps on the top tube plus clamp on shift levers and BB cable guides through 1978. Brazed on BB cable guides appeared in 1979 but not shift levers or recessed brake bolts.

Also, I've never seen Gipiemme dropouts on a Gitane. The fork crown is a Prugnat cast or forged steel crown which I've never seen on a Gitane either.

1978 Olympic

1979 Team

1980 Olympic

So here's my guess:

Who ever repainted the frame also added the braze-ons plus the fork is not original.

"14"? Who knows??? 25 or 6 to 9 Wink

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional