gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Help with frame ID!
Help with frame ID! 
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:14 am Reply with quote
craggen
Hi Gitane guru's! I stumpled upon this forum from bikeforums.net. I recently purchased this vintage Gitane, and am interested in the history behind the frame! I know the components are kind of a frankenstein of parts. Smile
Here is the bike,

And here is a link to an album with more pics:
http://supervillain1.imgur.com/gitane

Any info would be great, let me know if you need more pics!!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
craggen
I think it may be an Interclub? But mine has welded braze ons for the cable along the top tube, not clamps.
Here is a close up of the dropouts

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:47 pm Reply with quote
scozim
My vote is Interclub from the mid-70's. Holiday weekend - I'm sure you'll hear from the other regulars.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
Your frame ID 
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
verktyg
I started on this last night but the Forum Software ate my homework! Crying or Very sad

So, I'll cut to the chase...

Your frame is a:

1. 1974 to 1976 Gitane Tour de France.

2. 1974 to 1977 Gitane Interclub

3. 1974 to 1976 model that wasn't imported into the US (maybe Canada or Europe only)

In the parlance of catty women, "She's had work done"! Shocked

For starters none of the components are original.

Secondly, the top tube cable guides have been added plus the derailleur cable stop on the right chain stay. Someone either ground down the fork ends and removed the fender eyelets or replaced them with another type.

Now for the "eye exam"...

Do you lugs have cutouts?

Do they look like these?

Or these?

Or These?

Next, the fork crown. They are both Nervex crowns with the chevron in the top, just a different design in the "skirts".

Like this?

Or this?

Notice, both of the frames above have medium point lugs. They are both Interclubs. I've seen a few Interclubs with long point lugs but they were probably 1976 models (I suspect that a few Interclubs shipped with the same frames as the 1974-75 TdFs and had Reynolds 531 main tubes).

Now the details (with historical digression).

Up until mid 1974 the Gitane TdFs that shipped to the US had frames made of Reynolds 531 tubing throughout (actually the 3 main tubes, forks and rear stays not the steerers or rear brake bridges).

In mid 1974 Gitane introduced their new versions of the TdFs and Interclubs. They had the Huret honeycomb rear dropouts. Also new style decals.

The 1974-75 TdFs had frames with only the 3 main tubes made of Reynolds 531. Some of the pre-1974 non US models were 3 tubes Reynolds too.

In 1976 Gitane switched the TdF frames back to all Reynolds 531 tubing.

The US pre-1974 TdFs had chrome plated "socks" on the forks and rear triangle. Some non US models had only the forks and fork crown plated. Some even shipped with no chrome.

Pre 1974 TdF with chrome socks.

Pre 1974 TdF with chrome forks only. This frame has old style Huret dropouts.

Pre 1974 TdF with no chrome plus the old style Huret dropouts.

Here's a 1974-75 TdF, they looked the same.

A 1976 TdF with chrome front and rear.

Sometime in 1976 some Gitane TdFs and better models (Champion du Monde, Olympic and Super Olympic) started shipping with willow leaf shaped seat stay caps (like the pre-1971 bikes had).

Instead of the swagged over seat stays like yours.

Your bike has no chrome, 3 possibilities:

1. A former owner didn't like the chrome and had it painted over.
2. The chrome was rusted and was painted over.
3. It came without chrome (a non US model).

While far from original, the bike has decent components and should be a great riding bike. Enjoy! Wink

Last edited by verktyg on Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Re: Your frame ID 
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
craggen
Thank you Smile Sorry if I got a little impatient, I knew this was the best place to come to get this info, googling was an exercise in frustration Very Happy

To start, the components not being original is ok, I almost bought an all original Bianchi before I saw this, but I knew the parts on this were good and I wanted something I could ride right away, not have to do work on.

The cable guides being added after makes sense as to why I couldn't find much info looking at google images, all the ones I saw had metal straps instead of welded on guides.

verktyg wrote:

Do you lugs have cutouts?

These ones!

verktyg wrote:

Next, the fork crown. They are both Nervex crowns with the chevron in the top, just a different design in the "skirts".

Like this?

Yup!

Not sure on the chrome, and yes, upon closer examination, it does look like the eyelets for a fender were taken off the front fork.

Any way to tell if there is chrome hiding under the paint?? short of scraping it off :S
Re: Your frame ID 
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:47 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Bike is most likely a 1974-76 TdF, less like an 1976? Interclub, maybe a European only frame.

craggen wrote:
Any way to tell if there is chrome hiding under the paint?? short of scraping it off :S

Look under the fork crown, maybe scrape some paint off to see if there is a trace of chrome. Also look closely in the rear dropouts.

There's a chance that the chrome was sand blasted off and if it was well done there wouldn't be much of a trace.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
craggen
awesome! wow, 1974-76! I wonder what this bike has been through Smile You sir are a wealth of knowledge and have been a big help. Thanks!!

The paint looks really similar to one in the pics you posted in the reply, do you think it's original?

I will get back to you about the chrome thing, am a little hesitant to go scraping bits off right now, there is some missing on the dropouts, and I can see a greyish color, but that's it. Could be the steel?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
craggen wrote:
The paint looks really similar to one in the pics you posted in the reply, do you think it's original?

The paint on your bike is metallic blue. Gitane used "candy apple" or "flamboyant" transparent tinted lacquers back then not metallics so no, it's not original.

You could get a set of yellow decals from Cyclomondo on eBay and it would look more original. Wink

http://tinyurl.com/3ugg6rc

craggen wrote:
I will get back to you about the chrome thing, am a little hesitant to go scraping bits off right now, there is some missing on the dropouts, and I can see a greyish color, but that's it. Could be the steel?

The chrome plating underneath the fork crown is completely out of sight and scraping some paint away wont hurt anything.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica