gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Bent a rim on my Gran Sport Deluxe...
Bent a rim on my Gran Sport Deluxe... 
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:12 pm Reply with quote
xtsquintx
I managed to screw up my back wheel the other day whilst riding over a pothole, now it very noticeably rubs the brake. I took it to two bike shops (Performance and a local place) and both of them immediately said it needed to be replaced; actually, I inquired at the local shop about simply replacing just the bent rim and they said it would probably be the same cost to get an entire new wheel. Of course, I'm partial to keeping everything as original as possible; forget the fact that it's just a mid-70's Gran Sport Deluxe... I just think those Gitane hubs and Samir Saminox rims are cool. Also, I have two other Gran Sports (I think one might actually be a Gypsy) that I'm hoping I could take a wheel/rim from if it would work.

Anyway, here's some pics to give you a better idea:

What do you guys think? Should I simply try to bend it back into shape with some pliers first, or just go the route of searching for a replacement rim/wheel?
Hammer 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:54 am Reply with quote
Frenchbuilt
Just take a hammer and pound it back in shape. This is what
I have done even on aluminum rims. If its not cracked then a steel wheel can be bent back in place.

Today "everyone" is scared to take a risk (bike shops) to fix stuff like this since they can see you in a lawsuit. Hitting things with hammers is great fun.

If you don't like the metal noise, use a small wooden block between the hammer and rim and support the rim on the other side (flat table)

Many years ago, riding down the coast, I jumped a storm drain and the rear wheel hit which bent the rim. I used a big rock to bang it back in shape and later took a file to it to smooth things out. The rim lasted many years.

Others out there might not like these Marvel comics method but don't forget that people use to build things by banging and bending.

Dan
Forging Ahead 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:11 am Reply with quote
verktyg
There's stories of the old bike races where the riders had to fix their own bikes, no assistance was allowed! Shocked

I read about one rider who had to build a new fork at a blacksmith shop in the middle of the race!

There were several tools that many bike shops used back in the days of steel rims.

One was a special pair of pliers about 12" long. The jaws were shaped to fit the rim and you could squeeze out small bulges with no problem.

The other was a device with a threaded hook in the mid section. It fit around the outside of the rim and could be used to try to pull bent rims round again.

Several other suggestions, if you have access to a good sized bench vice you can use that to squeeze out the bulge. Also a 12" or larger pair of Channel Lock Pliers or slip joint pliers will also do the trick.

But my all time favorite tools for "fixing" steel rims...

The one on the left was always my favorite! Twisted Evil

Steel rims faded away by the late 70s, with good reason. Most alloy rims (even tubulars) are considerably stronger than most steel rims.

Alloy rims can take 2-3 Lbs. off of the bike in the most important place, the wheels.

Alloy rims stop better when they're wet... nuff said!

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:26 am Reply with quote
xtsquintx
Ok, cool, I have a pair of channel lock pliers that I was going to use anyway; I'll get to squeezing it when I get home, thanks!
Bent a rim on my Gran Sport Deluxe... 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane