gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » a alan/gitane olympic record from 1976 Goto page Previous  1, 2
Re: Alan Frames 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:47 am Reply with quote
logarto
logarto wrote:
(Now if I could only remember which one wanted the 23.0 seatpost and which one wanted the unique quill seatpost??) As long as my brain is working, the Peugeot Carbon was clearly made in the same place but not quite identical to the Vitus three tube and there was no Peugeot nine tube Carbon product.

I'm thinking that the quill seatpost was associated with the Peugeot and that the Vitus Carbon was 23.0. I only saw one Alan Carbonio ever and it came with an off brand 25.0 post that I was quite familiar with at the time. We sold the snot out of that size in American Classic seatposts because they were advertised to be substantially lighter than Super Record or Dura Ace, but according to weight weenies dot com they actually weren't.

One advantage to all these bikes is that you can't turn them into a fixed gear they all had vertical dropouts. If you are a big enough dickhead there is nothing stopping you from painting the chain?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
tchikiboum92
Just to feed your topic:
some VitusPlus Carbone ads from French magazines (aug-sept 1984):
Mr.Dumas (Ateliers de la Rive-Vitus) left hi-tech process to BADOR
50.000 frames "glued" 1979-1984, mainly to US export?

...and about pre-WWII screwed octogonal Caminargent
...and about 1984 Peugeot PY10FC 3tubes carbon

visit my french-speaking cycle blog
http://velos-mont-valerien.over-blog.com/
Carbon Fiber Peugeot Vitus on eBay 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
There's a carbon fiber Peugeot/Vitus on eBay with a broken seat lug. Seller says "easy repair"! Shocked

http://tinyurl.com/43adsgd

Scroll down to the pictures of the seat lug.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote
tchikiboum92
"easy repair" Shocked
+1

this frame belonged to mike tyson?

The last chance is a seat tube with expander nut
same as Atax on my Peug... non-Gitane PGN10T
Such a 80ies seat tube (Atax, Suntour, American Classic...) is impossible to find, even in ebay Singapore.

visit my french-speaking cycle blog
http://velos-mont-valerien.over-blog.com/
questions 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote
Kinst VonSterga
is there a clear coat on top of the aluminum or is it just a shiny anodized finish? did the pro Gitane team ever race Alan frames during any of the European classics?
Re: Alan Frames 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
logarto wrote:
One other old timer who sees this one my way Chas.

I've recanted my testimony... I have no dog in this fight!

Read my sig. Laughing

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
Re: questions 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:55 am Reply with quote
logarto
Kinst VonSterga wrote:
is there a clear coat on top of the aluminum or is it just a shiny anodized finish? did the pro Gitane team ever race Alan frames during any of the European classics?

They were represented as being just anodized and the way to restore the finish was said to be olive oil back in the day.

That brings up another interesting topic. I've "baked" the anodizing right off every BMX Part that I ever used on a road or mountain bike, usually in just two or three summers of direct sunlight. (I loaded up on the chainrings at a buck apiece when they went out of style in the mid 1980s.) But a co-worker here has a 1979 Ducati with gold anodized hubs that look as good as new. The last Vitus 979 I saw was the robins egg blue and I couldn't tell if it had faded or not; a year or so ago I saw a rose one indoors at VeloSwap and there was no doubt that it had been out in the sun. The tops of the tubes were much lighter than the bottoms.

I am glad that I've not encountered a butterscotch Vitus 979 in this condition, I used to just love that color.

So in my limited experience there is anodizing that holds up to the sun and the other kind. Perhaps the former involves a UV-inhibiting clear coat? And people were doing this as far back as 1979?

The moral of the story is that if you ever come across the anodized Campy BMX parts in good condition, don't even THINK of using them. People used to pay absolutely sick money for that stuff on fleabay. It was as good as Nuovo Record in the cranks and hubs and they ended up giving it away.
Aluminum Anodizing 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:48 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Aluminum anodizing consists of aluminum oxide which is fairly inert and corrosion resistant.

The aluminum anodizing process is somewhat like electroplating except the electric current and chemical bath converts the aluminum surface to aluminum oxide.

The anodized layer can range from several microns thick to over 0.005" thick. It's clear and transparent at thiner levels but will turn gray to dark brown when applied in a heavy layer. This is also called hard anodizing.

The "ceramic" rims are nothing more than hard anodized since in that form, aluminum oxide IS a ceramic!

Thin anodized layers will mimic the finish underneath. If it's polished the finish will be shiny. If it's satin finished that's how the anodizing will look and so on.

There are processes to modify the anodized surface to change the appearance or increase the corrosion resistance and so on.

The anodized surface is very porous. Colors are produced with chemical dyes which soak into the surface. Some are more light resistant than others plus the type and amount of sealing treatment used afterward can have an effect too.

This explains the sealing process:

http://aluminumsurface.blogspot.com/2009/04/why-sealing-process-is-so-important.html

Some aluminum alloys respond better to anodizing than others. If the alloy is not completely homogeneous (not completely mixed together) the anodized layer will appear blotchy.

One other thing, aluminum, especially pure aluminum has a high level of corrosion resistance.

That's because when a newly produced bare surface is exposed to oxygen in the air, it immediately starts to "corrode" forming an inert layer of aluminum oxide (natural anodizing) which then provides a measure of future corrosion resistance!

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica