gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Repainting a Super Corsa... what's involved for restoration?
Repainting a Super Corsa... what's involved for restoration? 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Beegee225
Guys,
Reading your posts on restoring and I was wondering what does one have to do these days for a frame repainting? I have a '71 SC and was thinking of putting back all the original stuff on it... even the Mavic tubulars, but maybe not the Pivo...
-Bob G. in Hightstown, N.J.

Today...

When I bought it...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:26 am Reply with quote
jacaba
I have the same Super Corsa Gitane bought in 1971. I wished you kept the original white color. I will do the same, since I bought the original stickers back in the early 80's. I'm the original owner and the bike has less than 500 miles on it. Perhaps I should start riding it but at my age . . . Good luck on your restoration. It's truly a gem of a bike.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:47 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Depends on how much you want to spend and what quality finish you want. Generally...you strip, primer, multiple coats of paint, clear coat, apply stickers/decals.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Beegee225
Well, when I repainted the SC from white to a real nice metallic blue, I had to strip it down and prime it, cleaning up some of the courseness in the Prug S2 lugs. The blue was automobile lacquer base paint, with a few coats. Over that was a clear coat or two. But the finish seemed to chip more than the original over time because I think the blue has to be a thicker, more commercial grade and baked on under controlled heat like that of autos. So, my feeling is that I strip it again and maybe let an auto body shop do the primer and final coats when they have a white car in the shop. Maybe that would run a few hundred? And then there's the chrome... Some people say it's a mistake to repaint and not rechrome. That seems an expensive proposition. The chrome isn't too bad, but it's not perfect. Just wondering...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote
jacaba
Congratulations on being in the possession of an excellent bike. Although I don't have many scratches on my white SC, I may repaint it the same color and put a new set of original decals on. The decals were purchased from Gitane in 1979. Keep me posted on the results. I wonder how many Supere Corsa Gitanes were manufactured and sent to the United States.

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane