gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 1987 Racing Special - a couple of questions
1987 Racing Special - a couple of questions 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote
fiandaca
Hello! I'm a new poster on the site, but not a new reader. I've spent countless hours reading posts and checking out member bikes. Great stuff on this forum - with some really well informed people posting.

I've searched the site up and down and found very little info on the RS model. I'm pretty sure what I have is an 87' RS, looking at the color (now pink, but I'm assuming, once red), the race number tab, and the decals.

I guess the other tell tale sign is the complete Mavic group. It came w/o pedals but I found a set on ebay. Pretty sure they're the right ones. Though the bike is in really great condition, I'm hoping to do a full restoration. Here are some pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/70833736@N04/sets/72157628165912267/

So my questions to the incredibly knowledgable folks on this site are these:

1. Which toe-clips came with the original model? I've reason to believe they were Christophe, but want to be sure. Also, which model clips? And can they be found with the cool UCI color straps?

2. Is anyone currently making decal sets for 87' models? It seems this decal style ran for just one year but maybe I'm wrong.

3. If I can get a decal set I'm thinking of a respray. I KNOW that the folks who post here aren't very big fans of such a thing, but just curious on any thought's in that department...

Any other questions pop up after looking at the photos, please let me know. Thank you.

Anthony
Waltham, MA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:07 pm Reply with quote
trois tubes
Congrats, you've got yourself a real gem of a bike!

I've never seen one of those in red, they all seem to fade after awhile. As many fellow members know, there's a fellow in Australia that does quality decals at a reasonable price. I don't think he has this version on hand but has been willing to create stuff in the past. I'll PM you his contact info so you can discuss directly with him about it. Let me know if he needs some artwork. I may have something clean enough to use.

Pedals are correct, toe-clips where probably Zefál-Christophe branded based on the year that model was available.

I'm 99.9% of the time anti-respray but in this case, with the appropriate graphics, it would be nice to have in original color that is UV resistant.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
Wisey
I agree totally with TT. If you have the original paintwork with or without the corresponding patina, then it's usually a shame to do the respray, but in cases where the original paintwork is too far gone, or gone altogether as in your case, than there is nothing wrong with a respray and new decals. Best wishes for the project. I look forward to seeing the end result.

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:35 am Reply with quote
fiandaca
Thank you both for your answers and advice! I'll be sure to keep the forum posted on the restoration as it comes along.
The 87' Catalogue lists the color as "fuchsia" 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:11 pm Reply with quote
gmany
I think it was always pink. Much darker, but still in the realm of pink.

The 1987 catalogue lists the color as fuchsia.

I'd put my wife on it, if I were in your shoes.

Agreed 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:34 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
I agree, I asked my wife last night , she says fuchsia is a "bright hot pink" notably some fading to this bike, but the catalog picture looks more red than "hot pink" This machine still has some great components.

If Greg should consider the decals for the "87 frames, I'd like to know, My blue '87 Victoire could use a new set (yellow instead of white).

Anyhow, this is a great find, nice bike--tubing--& components.

I Like Steel !!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
fiandaca
Sure, though the catalog does show red, maybe it was closer to reddish pink. You can see darker bands of color here and there, probably where there may have been a zip-tie or something there over the years. I'm guessing that when the front derailleur is removed, I'll see what color it may have been on the showroom floor!
1987 Racing Special - a couple of questions 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane