gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » ebay Claim
ebay Claim 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:06 am Reply with quote
overfedlonghairedgnome
Hello! - It's been a while since I've posted but I do still visit to catch up on everything Gitane!

I saw this ebay auction and it's claim that the early 70's TdF and SC frames with willow leaf seat stay cap treatments were all built by Bernard Carre.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330650482018?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
I find it hard to fathom that the volume produced at the time would have been possible by a designer shop. But I turn to you experts to sort out!

I had my own 70 Super Corsa in action yesterday, riding a 200k brevet through California's coast through Ventura, Santa Paula, Ojai, Montecito, and Santa Barbara. Here's my post it you're interested.
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/704142-the-2011-Century-a-month-challenge?p=13562201&viewfull=1#post13562201
Jim

Re: ebay Claim 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:08 am Reply with quote
verktyg
overfedlonghairedgnome wrote:
I saw this ebay auction and it's claim that the early 70's TdF and SC frames with willow leaf seat stay cap treatments were all built by Bernard Carre.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330650482018?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
I find it hard to fathom that the volume produced at the time would have been possible by a designer shop. But I turn to you experts to sort out!

In the seller's dreams!!! Rolling Eyes

Bernard Carre was a French constructeur/contract frame shop located near Paris. They built frames frome the 1940s until the 1980s.

Carre built most of the high end frames for Lejeune from the late 60s through the mid 70s. They also built some team frames for other small marques.

The defining features of B. Carre's better frames were the willow leaf shaped seat stay caps however they were distinct in that they were applied upside down and were wider than those used on most other frames.

Here's a picture of the seat lug on my 1973 Lejeune Champion du Monde frame made by B. Carre.

Many of the frames B. Carre built for his own label had B. Carre stamped into the seat stay cap.

Gitane Super Corsa and Tour de France frames had the brazed on willow leaf seat stay caps plus the brazed on rear brake cable stops at the top of seat stays from the late 60s until about 1970 or 71.

Those were "luxury" features found on French constructeur frames. Gitane dropped those features around 1970 early in the bike boom era. Brazing on those 2 features could have added as much a 15 minutes per frame at a time when European bike makers were trying to push as many bikes out the door as they could box up.

The bike in question is a very nice example of an almost all original 1969? Tour de France with a Wagner flat top crown and Simplex dropouts with "horns".

The Ideale 90 saddle is the only thing that I can see that isn't original. These bikes would have come with Torquemada model Freccia D'Oro pain device! Twisted Evil

Last edited by verktyg on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:15 am Reply with quote
overfedlonghairedgnome
Chas

I knew you'd have the straight skinny! Still, it was a nice TdF.

I hope you all have a great holiday season!

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote
scozim
overfedlonghairedgnome wrote:
Hello! - It's been a while since I've posted but I do still visit to catch up on everything Gitane!

I had my own 70 Super Corsa in action yesterday, riding a 200k brevet through California's coast through Ventura, Santa Paula, Ojai, Montecito, and Santa Barbara. Here's my post it you're interested.
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/704142-the-2011-Century-a-month-challenge?p=13562201&viewfull=1#post13562201
Jim

Very cool! Looks like a great route.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote
overfedlonghairedgnome
scozim wrote:
Very cool! Looks like a great route.

Glad to repeat it for anybody that cares to meet me there!

ebay Claim 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane