gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Cotter Question
Cotter Question 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:06 pm Reply with quote
alextdent
Hello everyone,

I have recently purchased a 70s model Gitane and had some problems with it. When I pedal, there is a certain part of the motion that feels like I lose friction. When my right pedal is almost all the way up, it drop freely from around 12 o'clock position to around the 2 o'clock position. I took the bike completely apart to check the condition of parts but to be honest I don't know much about what I'm doing.

I have attached a few pictures of the cotters and one of them is clearly disfigured. You can click on the thumbnails for larger versions. Could this be the cause of my problem?

Thanks,
Alex

Here is a picture of the one in better shape:

Last edited by alextdent on Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
scozim
Sounds like it might be time for new cotters but I would also check to make sure the bottom bracket cups aren't loose and, thus, allowing too much side to side or up and down motion with the spindle/axle. If the bottom bracket and spindle are still on the bike grab each end of the spindle and see if you can move it from side to side - if you can then you may have loose cup.

Other things to check are the cup races and bearings when you take the bottom bracket to make sure they are smooth and not pitted.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:37 pm Reply with quote
alextdent
I have already pulled the BB completely apart. Should it rotate easily? Because when I went to take it off, I spun it with my hand to see if I felt the same motion and could barely move it. The bearings look smooth but I will try and get it back together once it is clean and see if it has too much motion.

Thanks for the fast response!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote
scozim
Yes it should spin. You want it the spindle snug to the bearings but not too tight that it won't turn at all. Too loose and you get play in the spindle. Either situation can damage the bearings and cups.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:58 am Reply with quote
Christophe
Hi ! I've had the same problem with my cottered crank. I just tightened the cotters screws and it helped, but i've got to tighten them a bit every month. Time for new cotters I guess. You'll have to measure them both in diameter and lenght. Mine are 40 mm long and 9 mm at the widest part, wich are standard size for most old french cranks, including old motorbikes like Mobylettes and Vélosolex. However it seems there are various taper angles and lengths, so ask a guru before you order cotters. Bikesmithdesign has some interesting informations about cotters.
By the way, did you have a hard time removing the fixed cup, if you did, and how did you proceed ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:40 am Reply with quote
alextdent
I imagine that the ease in which I took this bike apart with nothing but a toolbox complete with zero special bike tools is one of the reasons the thing rode so rough. It took 1 hit with a rubber mallet to both cotter pins and they jumped to the floor. When it came to the BB, I took a wrench wide enough to fit around the right side of the BB (Sorry if I am missing some bike vocab Embarassed) And unscrewed it with my puny little arms.

I keep reading these posts about how you will need special tools for these old bikes and mine nearly took itself apart.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:08 am Reply with quote
alextdent
Sorry for the double post but I forgot to mention this bike is a Grand Sport Deluxe. Additionally, if anyone has any information as to the best cotters for the job, please let me know.
Cotter Question 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane