gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Help Identifying Pursuit Frame
Help Identifying Pursuit Frame 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Dubrat
Hi Guys

This is my first post here from another Aussie ( I see there are a couple on here)

I have just picked up a Pursuit frame that is stickered as a Look and the story of the frame is that it was ridden in the 1988 TDF by a rider from the LA Vie Claire team and then taken back to Australia. Some time in the 90's the owner had the rear road drop outs de-brazed and changed to track drop outs and then It has sat on a wall since then.

I cannot seem to find any pictures of this era LOOK pursuit frame and def no LOOK frames with Areo tubing So I thought it might have actually been a Gitane.

There are no panto's and only one brazed shifter boss.

And help would be great

Dubrat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Dubrat
Also it has a English BB and a 26.5 seat post if that helps....

I am really not sure on tubing as it has been repainted...

Maybe Vitus???

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
Hi Dubrat

The fillet brazed aero profile tubing looks a bit more like early 90's than the 80's. Most TT bikes in 88 were funny bikes built from round profile tubing. Delgado won the Tour riding such a design by Pinarello. Rooks was second on a Concorde, and Parra was third on an Eddy Merckx (I think?). All were funny bikes of lugged steel construction and round tubes. Notable exceptions were the Gitane Delta's used by Systeme U, which were profiled tubes and fillet brazed, and the TVT carbon bikes used by La Vie Claire which were round tubed carbon tubes with aluminium lugs. This bike is neither of those.

The seat tube on your bike reminds me of some of Indurain's TT bikes. Profiled tube that reverts to a round shape at the top in order to take a standard seat post. Most of his steel Pinarellos were made from Oria tubes.

What size is the front wheel on this bike? That may be another indicator of age.

The curved blades on the fork probably indicate earlier than the mid 90's as pretty much everyone went to straight forks and aluminium frames by then.

Could be a Zullo, perhaps?

Highly unlikely that this is a Gitane, but it should be fun to find out what it is. The seat post size is a bit interesting. By the late 80's most builders were using the 27.2mm standard. Perhaps follow up some of those other brands of the early 90's and see if you can match it to anything. Good luck.

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:21 am Reply with quote
Dubrat
Thanks for the reply Wisey

It has 700c front and rear wheels....

Thankyou for your input I have literally spent all day looking through pictures of late 80's early 90's pursuit frames I still am none the wiser.

Can't even seem to find the same tubing profile...

The search continues

I will be building it up with a Mavic group So will be a fun build

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
700c front puts it in the 90's as well. Was it 97 or 98 that smaller front wheels were banned by the UCI?

Have a look at this pic and note the larger diameter seat stays and the configuration around the seat lug (or joint).

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Dubrat
Just noticed your from Brisbane Wisey

I have just moved from Brisbane to Rockhampton...

Anyway I have just found this picture which seems like a very similar Track version.

No details on the builder or tubing but I have sent a email to its owner to see if he has any info..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Wisey
Good for you, you escaped Brissy! Laughing

………………………. but to Rocky??????? Confused

Wink I want to see pics of you riding this TT bike with a fixed gear up Mt Archer. Razz

Unless there are some other distinguishing features or serial numbers, or manufacturer's stamps in the lugs, I think it's going to be close to impossible to really ID it. It really could be anything. But you can be pretty certain that it's not a Gitane, not a Look, and definitely not a mis-spelled TVT. Wink

Still, it should look pretty cool once you build it all up. Cool

Delta Dreamin'

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Dubrat
HAHA no fixed gears up Mt Archer but do ride the roady up every weekend.... I live at the base in Frenchville...
Help Identifying Pursuit Frame 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane