gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Yet Another Frame ID
Yet Another Frame ID 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
zacht
Hello all!

First post here. My girlfriend's dad gave me his old Gitane last weekend, and I'm wondering if someone can give me a little more info about the frame.

Here's his story: he bought the frame in Paris back in 73 or 74, then I suspect he added on most of the components later. I believe the 1st gen Dura Ace stuff points to that timeline too. He said the frame was originally blue, but he been repainted a couple of times and it is now black. According to him, the headtube never had a decal/headbadge, and there are no visibile decals anywhere on the bike now. At some point, he decided to drill holes to route the rear brake cable internally (I know, I know - I wish he hadn't). Also, it looks like the rear derailleur hanger was broken off at some point, the dropout was filed down, and a hole drilled for a removable replacement hanger. The rear dropouts are Huret. He says the tubing is Reynolds 531.

Stronglight Competition headset. The brakes are both 1st gen Dura Ace sidepulls. The rear derailleur is Campy Nuovo Record, the front is also Campy (not sure which group), with Campy shifters. The seatpost is Campy and the Stem is Cinelli. Both hubs are early Dura Ace, laced to a Italian rim (Ambrosio I think?). There's also a Huret derailleur cable router and an Afa pump mount.

A few questions:
1. Any idea what model?
2. Thinking of replacing the dropouts with Campy (probably 1010A) so I can have a builtin hanger again- good idea or bad idea?
3. Also, should I try to find a framebuilder to replace the top tube, or should I get the holes finished for internal routing? Is retrofitting internal routing even possible at this point?

I'm not terribly concerned with cost vs. resale value. I like that the frame has a story and I figure that the girlfriend will be sticking around for the long haul (we've been dating for 7 years). Also, not worried about keeping it 100% original - the way I see it, the gf's dad saw the frame as a blank canvas that he could modify, and I'd like to keep that spirit. That said, I'd like to keep it as era-appropriate as I can.

And if anyone has any tips about what parts I should be hunting for I'd really appreciate it! Right now I'll need a new BB, crankset, bars, brake levers, freewheel, and pedals. At the moment I'm thinking retromod some VeloOrange, Nitto, MKS, and IRD parts. Also planning on powdercoating the frame. Figure it's more durable and a little cheaper, and I plan on riding this one regularly.

Thanks for reading, didn't mean to be quite so long winded! Here's a bunch of pictures of a pretty ugly frame with some pretty good looking components.

Zach Page
Los Angeles, CA

Yet Another Frame ID 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane