gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Chrome-framed Gitane frame set - What is it?
Chrome-framed Gitane frame set - What is it? 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
auchencrow
Anyone have any idea what the chrome-framed Gitane frame set was that went for $610 on eBay?
I sure don't, but I was sorry I didn't win it anyway.

Campy DO's and headset
Nervex lugs
Lovely SL 49D crank
Brooks Swallow
Cool Maes bars etc.

Just a really cool, sixties-looking bike.
What is it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=160838896869&nma=true&rt=nc&si=hOSVryCU6S%252Bxg7Sqt29Xtp91%252FA0%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Probably a special order European model???

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:37 am Reply with quote
auchencrow
I guess you're right, Chas. I don't know what else it could be.
It sure would have been a wonderful addition to my stable, but for $610?!

(It's a real pity that I'm far too cheap to have been in serious contention for it on eBay - now I'm going to have to wait for one just like it to show up at a garage sale down the street!) Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Jojon
The Titan stem and handlebar comes from a Belgium maker, on the
underside of the alu piece with the Belgian champions name is a date code.
Grtz, John

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Jojon
And I forgot, the brakes are Universal mod.61.
I have a Belgium made seventies bike in Molteni Eddy Merckx colors with
the same steerer and brakes !
Grtz, John
It's a Super Corsa! 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:25 am Reply with quote
bdbiker1
Good day Gitanisti, I am the proud owner of the All-chrome frame after the original bidder did not pay up. The frame was relisted and I picked it up much, much cheaper!

Well Gitanisti, the verdict is in on the mystery frame. It's a 1959-61 Super Corsa (Campione Du Monde) with Campagnolo headset and Gran Sport front and rear derailleurs. (guessing on the rear mech due to the age, they didn't have the Record rear derailleur until a few years later.) Alot was missing on this bike... Dropouts are all Campagnolo, but there are no markings on the frame other than an arcane 3 digit number on the left dropout.

The brakes calipers were Weinmann 999 Vainqeur 650 long reach center pulls, but both levers were broken at the pivot rod inside. (they were aluminum and both were split right in the middle.) I have never seen Weinmann levers like these, of which the brake set was made in Switzerland.

As you have noticed, the crank is a Stronglight 49D, but the crank bolts are Campagnolo, and the bolts do not fit the counter bore of the crank arms. Could the crank have been switched out? I believe the Stronglight 49D was added after the Campagnolo record crank was removed. Tune in when I remove the crank to look into the BB.

The Maes bar and Tiger stem have been cleaned, polished and remounted. The frame cleaned up surprisingly well with no major rust spots other than directly behind the seat post bolt and rear stays. Looking for some nice wheels with Record high flange hubs. That's what would have come with the bike.

A wonderful find for less than 400 bucks wouldn't you say? Another question for the gurus here: I cannot find a decent pair of Mafac Dural Forge' or Tiger calipers that would do the bike justice. Would it be sacrilege to mount some newer, Mafac Competitions?

K

1971 Gitane Tour De France
1980 Tricolore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
lofter
Just missed the tiger set Stephan had a set for sale not too long ago. Dun no about 59 or 60 that seems really early to me. Post some pics once you get it cleaned up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
bdbiker1
The Maes drop bar was dated 1960, and the Gran Sport mech was steering me that way. Not a whole lot left on the bike to date it by. The Weinmann brakes are the 2nd gen red vinyl labelled ones and are the model 999s made after 1962 when they went to the 2 spring design. They may be additions from the late 60's early 70s.

Last edited by bdbiker1 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

1980 Tricolore
Re: It's a Super Corsa! 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Kinst VonSterga
bdbiker1 wrote:

A wonderful find for less than 400 bucks wouldn't you say? Another question for the gurus here: I cannot find a decent pair of Mafac Dural Forge' or Tiger calipers that would do the bike justice. Would it be sacrilege to mount some newer, Mafac Competitions?
K

You did very well indeed! I have a set of Tigers on my 66' gitane though they're a bit awkward to fine-tune for a good fit to the rim, especially the fronts. With fenders, the competitions are a no-go, unless you use a modern low profile fender ... otherwise they're better made IMHO that the Tigers or Top63s (especially the brake post/mounting solution).

This reminds me that I had some special order Gitane decals that are due, near indistinguishable from the originals, as I need to check on the shipment ETA (so if you're interested, PM me in a month or so as I may sell a select stock to worthy projects Wink. One of my German cohorts (who shipped me his frame to make this possible) gets a free set though Wink

Cheers

(ps. Beautiful bicycle ... I'm glad you were the lucky auction winner!)
Stronglight 49 Crank 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
bdbiker1
Wanted to add a correction Crow, this bike has the old, venerable 6 star patterned Stronglight 49 crank, not the 5 star patterned Duralumin 49D crank as previously mentioned. This bike may possibly be older than first thought. I keep forgetting the foil head badge, which is after 1960... 1961-2 bike maybe?

Removed the Weinmann vinyl labelled Vainqueur 999 CPs and suitable Mafac Dural Forge' brakes will be mounted in their stead, as a premium model of this era would be equipped.

1980 Tricolore
Chrome-framed Gitane frame set - What is it? 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane