gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » My "New" Trash Picked Gitane
My "New" Trash Picked Gitane 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Len S
Any information on year and model of this Gitane would be MUCH appreciated. To make the job pleasanter I have put the bike pictures in a 3 minute slide show set to French music on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2i5GrYI3XU

I guess it is an entry level Gitane Grand Sport but it might have been first used in Germany and then brought over to the U.S.

My plans are to make it comfortable and safe to ride and just enjoy it.

All comments (well almost all) appreciated. THIS IS MY FIRST POST ON THIS FORUM after spending hours looking at the pics of wonderful bikes.

1972 Gran Sport
1985 Performance

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Saw this on FB and commented on the year, which I think is late 1960's early 1970's.

Beware the pivo stem: Make sure that it is inserted properly and to the right height.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Len S
Thanks,

I have 1/3 of the stem inserted. Will not go beyond that even though I would like another 10-15mm in height. Someday I would like to get a 100-120mm stem reach, maybe then I could find one with a longer tube.

Thanks for your post on FB.

Both the steering tube and the seat tube have '72' stamp at the top on the braze on. My understanding is like you said 72 is the nominal angle of build for both tubes.

1972 Gran Sport
1985 Performance
Early 70s Gran Sport 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
It's probably about a 1971-73 Gran Sport.

The Gran Sport or (Gypsy) had Huret wing nuts on small flange Atom hubs. They also sometimes came with Weinmann side pull brakes.

Gran Sport DeLuxe bikes had quick release large flange Normandy hubs.

At the height of the US Bike Boom in 1973, we never knew what were we getting until we opened the box.

Hubs: Normandy Large flange quick release (sometimes nutted), Atom small flange nutted, Pelissier 3 piece hubs, aluminum flanges with steel centers, both large and small flange usually nutted but sometimes with QRs.

By the end of 1973 Gitane discontinued the Huret wing nuts and switched to plain hex nuts (probably a safety issue).

Brakes: MAFAC or Weinmann center pull brakes, sometimes Dia-Compe centerpulls which were Weinmann knockoffs. Weinmann sidepulls or occasionally Weinmann Symmetric sidepulls.

Derailleurs: Most often Simples Prestige or Huret Allvit. Occasionally Suntour derailleurs. The Huret Svelto derailleurs on this bike were usually found on European market bikes.

Stem mounted or down tube shifters were used.

Cranks: Probably at least 5 different makes of steel cranks including Solida and Nervar. they were usually 52-42 but occasionally they came with 52-40 chainrings plus a few that were 52-38T.

Rims: 27" Chrome plated steel for the US market, 3-4 different makes, none of which stopped when wet!!! Shocked

Because of part shortages during that era, life was "like a box of chocolates"... Confused

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Len S
Didn't the Grand Sport Deluxe model also have the chrome 'socks'?

"The Huret Svelto derailleurs on this bike were usually found on European market bikes" is consistant with the German label on the bike. Looks like it was obtained in Europe and then brought over here.

I did rebuild the brakes today. What memories seeing the "Made in West Germany" on the back of Weinmann brake arm.

Number of years ago I was on a bike ride in a heavy all day down poor. Was on a Schwinn Continental with steel chromed rims (1972 model I think) and even though the ride was on a relatively flat road, any time I squeezed the brake levers (note: I did not say apply the brakes) I felt I was accelerating!!!! Got very scary.

Every time I get on it check those wing nuts. Think they add to the bike and also add a twitch to the side of my face.

Thanks all for helping to tie down age and model of this bike.

1972 Gran Sport
1985 Performance

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Len S wrote:
Didn't the Grand Sport Deluxe model also have the chrome 'socks'?

Not always.

The Gran Sport was an entry level model and the Gran Sport DeLuxe was one step up (actually about 1/2step).

Back in the 60s there was a similar model called the Apache made for the US market.

During the bike boom the European bike and component makers were so stretched that they used anything they could get, ergo, lots of variations.

I had a 1972 60cm Gran Sport DeLuxe that looked just like this one that was recently listed on eBay.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Len S
Here is the original "trash can" bike:

Here is how it looks today:

I did find one more label on it: "comFort deLuxe". It was on a clear label in faded gold print. Hard to see until I cleaned the paint job up.[/img]

1972 Gran Sport
1985 Performance
Gran Sport on Gran Sport DeLuxe 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
The Gran Sport DeLuxe models had MAFAC, Weinmann or DiaCompe center pull brakes and quick release hubs, usually Normand large flange.

Your bike has Weinmann side pull brakes and Atom small flange hubs with wing nuts.

Probably about 1972 the wing nuts were discontinued because many people didn't have the strength in their hands (or experience) to tighten them properly.

They were changed to plain hex nuts.

The decal on the chain stay says "Emailuxepolymerize" which means "luxury enamel paint" which is somewhat of an exaggeration! Rolling Eyes

They were on the right side, left side or both sides or not at all! Shocked

We usually pulled them off of the new Gitanes that we assembled back in the early 70s because they got easily damaged.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
Len S
Just to wrap it up, I did find one more label. It was clear with yellow or gold print. Said: "comFort deLuxe"

Not only were they pumping out the bikes in the early 70's, they must have also been pumping out the names?

1972 Gran Sport
1985 Performance
My "New" Trash Picked Gitane 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane