gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Another can you identify my bike. Gitane TDF 1974?
Another can you identify my bike. Gitane TDF 1974? 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Lee G
Hi, everyone

I have restored my Granddads Gitane TDF. Hope you like it. I love it! It's a great ride! I'm struggling to work out what year it is as some of the pictures I've seen are conflicting. Alt first I thought it was a 76 but doesn't have the right drop outs or chrome seat stays.

Can you help?

Also it feels like it needs a new bottom bracket can anyone assist me as to what would be the best replacement, any tips on actually changing it would be great too!

Lee
Manchester, England

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:43 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Greetings, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your bike is a 1975 or 76 entry level Gran Sport model (or whatever they were called in the UK) not a Tour de France.

Looks like someone changed the wheels and saddle.

Finding a cottered BB may be a problem. It probably has French (metric) threads (right hand threads on both sides).

If you like the bike and plan on keeping it, you might look for an aluminum alloy cotterless crank and BB to match.

Do an online search for help installing the BB.

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica
bottom bracket 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
gman309905
Like Chas said, you may have difficulty finding a cottered bottom bracket and you might want to update. Velo Orange makes sealed bearing bottom brackets with french thread if your interested.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Lee G
Thanks for your help. Shame it isn't a TDF it had a TDF sticker as well! I still love it just as much. I changed the seat and wheels. Both had seen better days originally it had Normandy hubs and DEA superchrome rims . I'm planning to restore them and have some tubular tires for around town.

I restored the bike so far it was in pretty bad condition when I got it. It's a great ride prefer it to my much more expensive bikes. I think I have got the bug.

Thanks Lee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote
vanhelmont
Hi Lee,
Just looking at your pictures, is your stem inserted far enough? It may have a minimum insertion line. Otherwise there should probably be about three inches of the stem inside the steering tube. If the old stem won't get the bars high enough, the nice solution is the Nitto Technomic. You can probably also find a cheaper long stem intended for a mountain bike. In either case you probably have to sand it down something like .1 mm to fit a metric steering tube.

Dave
Another can you identify my bike. Gitane TDF 1974? 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane