gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Early 70s Interclub
Early 70s Interclub 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote
spinach
Hi, I'm new to these forums and a proud owner of an old Gitane.

I've wanted a road bike for a few months now but didn't want to drop too much money on one in case I ended up not riding it too often. A friend was putting on a vintage bike show and tried to talk me into a buying an old Raleigh. It looked clean so I took it for a spin but it didn't feel right. When I dropped it off, I noticed a Gitane Interclub next to it and decided to give it a try. It looked a bit worse for wear than the Raleigh but it fit and rode pretty much perfectly and shifted smoothly.

From what I can gather, after reading some posts on here, is that this is an Interclub from 1970 - 73. I think the previous owner, or the seller, had swapped out some of the parts, though I understand that there were really no standard parts for these back bikes then. The frame is a bit rusty in parts and has been touched up but looks pretty decent from a few feet away.

Here's a breakdown of the parts that I was able to identify:

frame: Interclub 62 cm C-T
rear derailleur: Shimano Crane GS
front derailleur: Suntour Compe V
shifters: Suntour
crank: Sugino Maxy??
stem: Pivo
front wheel: Araya 700C
front hub: Exage Sport HB-A450
rear wheel: Mavic MA40
rear hub: Touring? (quick release, made in france)
tires: Duro Protek 700x32c
brake levers: Dia-Compe Cherry
saddle: Wrights W3ST
pedals: Lyotard w/ Christophe Special Brevete AFA cages

Here are some pics:

https://plus.google.com/photos/115131836688922736471/albums/5915892467496775441?authkey=CK3r5rTfrLTcSg

I've ridden it for about 50 km and it feels pretty good. The chain is a bit noisy but I haven't oiled it yet.

I think it weighs 25-30 lbs at this point. Any suggestions on what I should swap out to lighten it up and get a better ride? I understand that this Pivo stem is known as a suicide stem. Any thoughts on what might work better in its place?

Last edited by spinach on Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:52 am; edited 2 times in total
replacement stem 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:38 pm Reply with quote
gman309905
Nitto stems are marked 22.2 but are actually 22.1 in diameter and will sometimes fit a french steer tube, might have to sand it down a little
Re: replacement stem 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
gman309905 wrote:
Nitto stems are marked 22.2 but are actually 22.1 in diameter and will sometimes fit a french steer tube, might have to sand it down a little

Also, Nitto stems come in two sizes to fit 25.4mm and 26mm bars. Old French bars were 25mm diameter.

DON"T try to squeeze a 25.4mm stem down to 25mm! The musical "ping" when the stem breaks is heart breaking (and can break other things too).

Cinelli stem made for 26.4mm bars used for years with a 25mm French bar. (on one of my bikes before I knew better)

Cracks in a 26mm 3TTT stem used with smaller bars.

Ben's Cycles carries a good assortment of Nitto bars and stems including 25.4mm (very scarce) and 26mm the industry standard:

http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=188_263_1332

http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=188_232_129_476

Note, many older alloy bars from the bike boom era started to sag after some hard use. They NEED to be replaced

Secondly, these bars were generally very narrow - 36cm to 40cm. Pick a set of bars the same width as the distance between your hands held straight out on a riding position.

The Interclub was Gitane's amateur racing model. With sewups they weighed ~23-24 lbs.

I had several early 70s Gitane Interclubs that I used for around town bikes back then. Mine weighed in at about 25 lb.s with clinchers and all alloy components. You are not going to remove too much weight off the bike without switching to sewups (tubulars - they'll knock off about about 2 lbs.)

You can maybe switch to lighter weight 700c clinchPCr wheels with high performance tires. That might save ~1 lb.

Finding those wheels might be a little hard because the 120mm wide rear hubs have been obsolete for 25 years.

Good quality 27" tires are hard to find.

Panaracer Pasella tires give a nice ride and come in 27 x" x 1", 27" x 1 1/8" and 27" x 1 1/4". I'd probably go with the 1 1/8" tires.

I'd clean it up, repack all of the bearing, replace all of the cables, replace the brake blocks and maybe the tires and then ride it! Wink

You will probably need to replace the chain too and maybe the freewheel if it skips with a new chain. I recommend the SRAM PC830 or PC850 chains. They work well and are reasonably priced.

Remember, a half pound off of the bike does very little unless you are a hardcore racer... It's the motor not the machine!

1984 Criterium
1969 TdF
1971 TdF
1974 TdF
1984 TdF x 2 Bikes
1970 SC
1971 SC
1972 SC
1984 SC
1984 Team Pro
1985 Professional
1990s Team Replica

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:54 am Reply with quote
spinach
Thanks for the tips!

I think I'll start with the stem and bars. I want to put newer, softer tape on the bars anyway and adjust the height of the brakes as they are too low where they currently sit.

Repacking the bearings and replacing the cables is a good idea, too.

If the most I can expect to save in terms of weight is a few pounds, I don't think I'll bother with swapping wheels, etc. It sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

I plan on just using this for longer weekend rides for now. I will probably use it as my commuter once my son gets older and I put a kid seat on my current bike.
Early 70s Interclub 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane