gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 1984 TDF Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
verktyg
What about POC?

I have a Legnano Roma Olympiade from the early 1960s but I prefer steel bikes from the late 1970s to 1980s. I collect riders not hanger queens and the later components work better.

I'll ride carbon when they pull my cold stiff hands off of my aluminum bars.

Chas.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:28 am Reply with quote
nicolas
Dave Hickey wrote:
sandranian wrote:
Bernard Tapie - a French businessman. La Vie Claire was a health food chain...with a host of products. And I believe you are right regarding Look frames, but it wouldn't surprise me if Hinault would have insisted on the maker of his prior frames (badged as "Hinault"). Hinault had that type of power at the time, but who knows...maybe Look just hired his framebuilder???

I read in a book about Hinault that the "Hinault" badged frames were built by his personal mechanic...I'll try to find the guys name tonight.

As for LOOK, The 753 steel frames were the first LOOK frames. They came out with the carbon tubed aluminum lugged frame shortly after.

The very first carbon LOOK's were actually TVTs. I have a KG86 from 1987 and it has "TVT" drop outs and bottom bracket stamp. The fork also had a TVT decal

At some point, I think LOOK bought TVT. I have a KG76 from 1988 and it is stamped "LOOK" on the dropouts and BB but the frame is identical to the KG86

Hi guys,

I've said this elsewhere but I have a late 83 book where Hinault clearly states that the bikes for his new team will be built by Gitane.

We already had a hint in 1983's fleche wallone with Hinault riding a strange chrome gitane with a badger and I think you can find photos of the early 1984 season (maybe paris-nice) where he rides a blue bike with a badger on the frame.

But did this go on until 1986 ? the Look frames like yours only appeared in the tour de france of that year, along with a black frame (carbon) used in most mountain stages...before that (85 up to the 86 giro), it was still the same silver frames named after Hinault.

www.greglemondfan.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:00 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Nicolas...welcome back! You should post a scan of that page from the book so that we have undeniable evidence. Not that we don't believe you...but if we are going to hang our hat on it, we need to be able to cite the source!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:48 am Reply with quote
nicolas
sandranian wrote:
Nicolas...welcome back! You should post a scan of that page from the book so that we have undeniable evidence. Not that we don't believe you...but if we are going to hang our hat on it, we need to be able to cite the source!

Unfortunately, my scanner is dead...

Anyway, this is taken from :
"une saison de cyclisme 83", written by Jean-René Godart & Bernard Hinault

On pages 214 & 215, you have an interview of the badger, titled "je reste en France et rêve d'avenir avec Bernard Tapie et la vie claire". It's mainly about how Hinault got the la vie claire team together...

excerpt :
(...)
JR Godart :-Racontez-nous un peu vos démarches
B Hinault :-Très simple. Tout d'abord je propose un contrat d'un an tant au sponsor qu'à mes nouveaux coéquipiers. J'arrive avec une équipe complète : leader, coureurs, soigneurs, mécaniciens, plus le matériel en l'occurence des vélos Bernard Hibault fabriqués par la firme gitane qui continuera de les produire (...)

translation :
-tell us about your proceedings
-it's very simple. First of all, I offer a one year contract to my new teammates or sponsors. This is a complete team : leader, riders, soigneurs, mechanics plus the hardware i/e bernard hinault bikes made by gitane who will continue to produce them(...)

www.greglemondfan.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Good stuff, Nicolas!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:53 am Reply with quote
nicolas
no problem.

this is the one and only time where I could find this information...it's nowhere to be seen in miroir du cyclisme, for instance...it has to be confirmed one way or another. I'll see what I can do.

www.greglemondfan.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:17 am Reply with quote
lofter
so the arc en ciel frames were gitanes? was the silver and red badged (pun intended)hinaults gitanes also?
Hinault Bicycles 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:11 am Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
From Winning Magazine, No. 29/December 1985. Page46.

SHOWTIME: Paris opens another season of bicycle shows.

"As one might expect, the Group Bernard Tapie Sport had a tremendous presence. Besides the range of La Vie Claire health products, the booth displayed the Lejeune-built range of Bernard Hinault bicycles, which always drew the crowds. Hinaults are popular in France for the right reasons. They are well designed and built to exacting specifications."

Other mentions in the article were Peugeot, Mavic, Wolber, Maillard, Sedis, Simplex, Paul Routens, Adidas and Campagnolo. No mention of gitane at all at the Paris show of 85. Suirely the Delta was on show?

But back to the Hinaults..... Is Lejeune a place, or a brand of manufacturer? Anyone know?

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:49 am Reply with quote
nicolas
lejeune is (was) a brand AND a manufacturer at one point.

I even rode a lejeune when I was a boy...My memory fades but...I even think that Greg LeMond wore a lejeune jersey when he rode for the US creteil team when he came in france for the first time....

www.greglemondfan.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:45 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I guess at this point we would have to find out if Gitane owned LeJeune at any point...or built them. I am not sure if LeJeune was represented in the pro-peleton in 1985. Also, the Hinault bikes may have been produced by Gitane in 1984/5...and switched to LeJeune for 1986. That would be right about the time that Renault dumped Gitane, so budgets would have been reduced. Besides, I could see Gitane wanting to produce bikes with Hinault's name on them in the early 1980's, to capitalize on his popularity. It makes sense that Gitane would be the company to make his frames, at least initially. Just a theory.

cloaks and daggers 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Keep the investigation going boys. I'm off for a few days holiday on the NSW coast. Sun, surf and bike riding. See you all when I get back.

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:47 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
LeJeunes were really nice bikes in the early to mid 1970s. Didn't see any after that.

Follis were about the best finished French bikes (short of Rene Herse, Alex Singer and the other custom builders). LeJeunes were probably next tier down. Most were solid red or blue with very nice paint and lug work.

Chas.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Dave Hickey
I think I can help with the LeJeune connection.

In Hinault's book Road Racing Technique and Training(pages 204-206), He talks about the Hinault line of bikes that are built by LeJuene. These aren't to be confused with the silver/red badged frames.

Theses bikes were for sale to the public. They included 15 models from the racing "Colorado" to a ladies Mixte frame... I don't know if these bikes every made it to production but it appears that Hinault designed or just gave his name to a whole line of Hinault branded bikes. These were made my LeJeune..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Dave Hickey
Here are some scans. The co-author talks about how the Colorado is similar to Hinaults bike but it's not exactly the same

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quote
nicolas
nicolas wrote:
lejeune is (was) a brand AND a manufacturer at one point.

I even rode a lejeune when I was a boy...My memory fades but...I even think that Greg LeMond wore a lejeune jersey when he rode for the US creteil team when he came in france for the first time....

There it is :

[/img]

www.greglemondfan.com
1984 TDF 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane