gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » done it again! Goto page 1, 2  Next
done it again! 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:33 am Reply with quote
bowser
just bought a tdf frame on ebay uk looks like a winter project for me
will keep you posted when i recieve it
bowser
Smile Smile Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:16 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Sounds great. What vintage?

Can you post a link to the eBay auction?

I just bought a Gitane frame on US eBay. Stephan says its a 1985-86 58cm Professional. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

I think I got a pretty good deal on it considering what previous auctions for Professionals and similar models have sold for over the past year.

A lot of the bidders were bottom feeding or were afraid of this frame because there were no Gitane decals on it.

In years past, Gitane used to bring in a number of warranty replacement frames without decals. This could be one of those or else someone didn't like the existing 1985-6 Gitane decals.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140173486958

Chas.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Congrats on the new bike. That is definitely on of those Professionel Frames. I owned one and sent it to Wisey in Australia...and it is essentially identical to the 1987 Inter frameset that I own. The only difference is the "made in" sticker on the top tube: Otherwise, the tubing, dropouts, lugs, and other details are identical. I will be interested in seeing the Serial Numbers on the frameset when you get it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:54 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Thanks Stephan,

It should be here by the end of this week and I'll post the info.

I have most of a Campy Victory grupo to equip the bike per catalog specs.

I'm going to put on Cyclomondo decals. They're not correct for this frame if it really is a 1985-6 but they're are better looking.

I looked at an early 70s TdF this afternoon that I could have bought cheaply. It has the original components but all of the decals are missing and it's a 60cm - a little to big for me (said in a high pitched voice). Besides, it was the ugly green color.

Chas.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:45 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
There is another 85/86 frameset on ebay...this one is pretty trashed though. You can see that it is the identical bike as the one you bought, only it has the decals.

Regarding Cyclomondo...if you could do me the favor of telling him that you heard of his site through this website, that would be nice. I included a link to his ebay store on the GitaneUSA site....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote
bowser
hi will post some pics when i get frame early 70S gitane tour de france
531 tubing white chrome forks and stays simplex dropouts
looks a bit scruffy but all original

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:11 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Bowser,

Your TdF should be a really nice riding bike.

Chas.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
verktyg
sandranian wrote:
There is another 85/86 frameset on ebay...this one is pretty trashed though. You can see that it is the identical bike as the one you bought, only it has the decals.

Regarding Cyclomondo...if you could do me the favor of telling him that you heard of his site through this website, that would be nice. I included a link to his ebay store on the GitaneUSA site....

I'm watching that frame to see how much it sells for. I've noticed that after a bike or frame sells for a lot of money, a number of similar items show up on eBay. Sometimes they bring more money, sometimes not.

I think that I got a good deal on my frame. I'll see when it gets here.

Also, I'll post a + note to Cyclomondo...

Chas.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:46 am Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn
Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:54 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I think you got a good deal as well. I don't think that frame will sell (but I have been way off before!). It is rusted and dented, and the size is large. Quite frankly, the seller should have taken a few minutes to clean it up, because it might be in better shape than the pictures show. But the rust around the head tube is pretty bad....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:09 am Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn
Very Happy
Bowser,
Congratulations on your new Gitane Professionnel! To my mind, this model represents Gitane at its' best. Gitane provided, in 1985 through early 1986, a fine road racer, equipped with a Reynolds 531c frameset, Campag. Victory groupset, Selle San Marco saddle, Mavic GP 4 rims with Wolber tubular tires, etc. for approximately $895.00 U.S. If one wanted to spec different equipment, the Professionnel was available as a frameset only.

In late 1986, introduced its' magnificent Reynolds 531p/Campag. C-180 equipped Team Pro. No criticism here, it was a gem, but the purchase price jumped to approximately $1,900.00 U.S.

I'm still kicking myself for not having purchased a Professionnel at the time, but I had just purchased a new 1983 Super Corsa about 18 months earlier.
Peter H.
Sacramento

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Received the Gitane 85-86 Professional? frame last Thursday - 2 day shipping! Laughing

It's in really nice shape except for the lack of decals plus a few chips and scratches in the paint. The forks need to be aligned, it's only 97mm wide. Some French bikes used narrower front hubs so this might be correct but I'm going to spread them to 100mm. The rear dropouts are 126mm wide.

I'm going to take it to a local frame builder and align the frame on his layout table. I may spread the rear dropouts to 130mm to use 7-8 speed rear hubs.

The tubing is metric diameter but the threads are BSC. I have to scrounge up a BSC headset to fit this frame. I have a box full of headsets but no mid 80s Campy stuff, just some French Nuovo Record and Stronglight Super Competition headsets.

I need to put in a headset and throw some wheels under this thing to see if I can ride it. The seller listed the standover height as 83.5cm (32 /8") which almost puts me in the singing soprano position. Shocked

I ride 54-57cm frame. This one was listed as a 58cm which in 59cm C-T.

Chas.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:59 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Congrats on the new frame. What is the Serial Number? Post it to the Serial number site...but I am curious to see if there is an '85' or '86' in it. I will bet there is....

Regarding the size, if you ride a 56...it will be a stretch. Just make sure you aren't using the old style "block" pedals. I remember growing up and having the unfortunate pleasure of slipping off the pedal on a bike that was too big for me (ouch)!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:10 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Stephan,

I listed the SN and pictures in the Serial Number Forum.

Chas. - soprano

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:44 am Reply with quote
bowser
finally recieved the tdf frame today some rust areas especially around b/b area and under top tube chrome is good though and all decals are present
if marked a little could ideally do with a respray although i do like to keep
bikes original if possible masking out decals could be tricky
anyone know if tdf decals are available anywhere? they are really stickers as opposed to transfers but i will need a french "531" transfer for seat tube and same for ft fork both these are un readable
will post serial nos on forum with pictures when taken
have managed to source some mafac racer brakes and simplex gears and
levers in the uk
bowser
done it again! 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane