gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Information request
Information request 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quote
speedfreq
My son was given this bike from a neighbor who was cleaning out his basement. He did not have any relevant information as it was his son's who had passed away several years ago. Any info on what it is and what it may be worth to someone would be appreciated. My son has agreed to part with it as it is taking up space in my garage and he is really more of a BMX sort of rider. I can provide more pics or information on request. If it turns out to be something you guys might be interested in I would be more than happy to post in the "for sale" section before going to epay. Bike is rather dirty but looks like it should clean up well. Has a chromoly sticker on it and I think Mavic rims. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Welcome 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:00 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Welcome to the Forum at Gitane USA.com. I can't tell you where all the fellows are this weekend. This would appear to be an '85 or '86 Gitane Champion. It would seem to be an entry level Gitane model--but as your photos demonstrate this bike does seem to be in pretty good shape. If you page to the catalog section you may be able to find a little more tecnical and spec information. I'm certain that you'll receive additional responses in the near future. Stephan & many of the forum members have Gitane bikes from the mid '80s in their collections and will be great resources for the info you request. So again welcome and stay tuned.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
speedfreq
Thanks for the welcome. I'm sure all the other folks are ringing in the New Year. I will go ahead and check out the section you suggested. If anyone does have an interest in this please feel free to email me at speedfreq@yahoo.com it is in Illinois and my son has decided he definatly wants to sell it. I will go ahead and post it in the for sale section. What information should I post with it? I would guess I should include the size but I'm not sure how to determine that. Let me know what other relevant info to include.
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
lofter
hello , happy new year! heres a link to a thread right here on the forums to what the top of the line pro model for that year sold for http://gitaneusa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=460
the bike u have is the lowest on the food chain of that year.it looks to be bout a 54 cm frame . to help measure it , measure from the center of the crankset to the middle of the top tube. here a chart to help u see what i talking about. http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1985_pg5.jpg

about the value, 50 to maybe 125.00 since its a complete bike.depends on which way the wind blows on ebay .id start it at 20 bucks and let it go from there then again i dont do alot of selling on ebay , more of a buyer.
hope this helps you. what part of illinois u from? im in springfield. i seen a bike like this one outside the library months back.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:17 pm Reply with quote
lofter
wisey, dont you have one of these or is it a victore?
85-86 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Yeah, I have a couple victoire's.

The Victoire is the next model up in the food chain. For comparison, I paid 60 AU$ (about 40 US$ at the time) for a victoire, but not in as good condition. Ebay is a bit of a lottery with oldies like this. If it was a 60cm, and you were in Australia..........

Best of luck speedfreq. But why not clean it up and become a gitane nutter like the rest of us? Wink

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:05 pm Reply with quote
speedfreq
Laughing Yeah, I'm too old and fat to get on a bike anymore. I'm into restoring cars now as they can tote my big butt around when I'm through with them. My son would like to keep this and every other thing he has, as he is a bit of a pack rat but I need to clear the space. He and I went to one of the more specialized bike stores here in town and I was just blown away with what they have these days. I saw a few rims in the $1500 to $2600 ranges, just rims!! and cool carbon fiber frames and forks. It was just incredible to me. I remember when high end bikes were Schwinns. Ah well, I think we will throw it up on Craig's list first and see what happens, that way maybe I can avoid shipping it. Otherwise, I guess it will end up on ebay if the local audience isn't in to it. Thanks for the info and Happy New year!
Chris
Information request 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane