gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » I think I have stumbled upon... Goto page 1, 2  Next
I think I have stumbled upon... 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:47 am Reply with quote
Henki
Hi all,

I am a new "poster" here. Yesterday I bought a third or fourth-hand Gitane.

I had done my homework, and I believed it was one of the better models. This was hard to discern as it had been through a "home" re-painting job to try and make it look like an updated version - black with yellow.

It has double waterbottle braze ons, front derailer braze on, and the two things that really make me think that it is the Team Pro/Replica - top-tube internally routed rear brake cable, and what appears to be a number tag clip on the underside of the top tube which somebody "bent".

It also has a Stronglight crang, simplex shifters and front derailer. It also has Modolo (black anodized) side pulls.

Long story short, owing to the paint, I want to strip the frame and get it checked and re-painted.

Here in the Western "lower 48" are there any suggestions for a good place to send this?

Any input appreciated!

Henki -

Bay Area

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quote
lofter
what does it say on the derailleur hanger, simplex? vitus?does it have a braze on for the front derailleur?simplex dropouts? get a few pics up of it will help too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:32 am Reply with quote
lofter
sorry didnt pay attention to your description . it has a braze on for the front derailler , so that would make it a 83 team pro which appears in the 84 catalog in the catalog section. it would most likely have simplex drops and hanger. if you could take a pic of the bb serial # and post it in the serial # thread if you could. what size is it ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:38 am Reply with quote
Henki
lofter wrote:
sorry didnt pay attention to your description . it has a braze on for the front derailler , so that would make it a 83 team pro which appears in the 84 catalog in the catalog section. it would most likely have simplex drops and hanger. if you could take a pic of the bb serial # and post it in the serial # thread if you could. what size is it ?

Hi Lofter -

I will be taking photos as I go - the person who did the "re-paint" job painted over everything - so I really have no idea. Would this frame be Columbus, Reynolds or Vitus?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:44 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
If it is a 1983, the tubing should be Columbus.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:47 am Reply with quote
lofter
sandranian wrote:
If it is a 1983, the tubing should be Columbus.

correctamundo
picture 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:48 am Reply with quote
Henki
lofter wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:55 am Reply with quote
lofter
ahhhhhh my eyes hurt lol. wow thats a bright paint job there.sigh ....the ol late 80's fade away paint job. probably the least favorite time for paint jobs , for me anyway. i have a 7-11 replica thats a red and white fade away.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:01 am Reply with quote
Henki
lofter wrote:
ahhhhhh my eyes hurt lol. wow thats a bright paint job there.sigh ....the ol late 80's fade away paint job. probably the least favorite time for paint jobs , for me anyway. i have a 7-11 replica thats a red and white fade away.

The main problem is it was a "back-yard" paint job. They painted right over the original blue paint, etc. There might be some rust, etc. so I really need to take it apart, get it sand blasted, inspected, possibly repaired (rust, etc.) and repainted. I am thinking about trying to bring it back to the original - but slowly upgrade the components to all Campy SR (circa 80s)

Again, if anyone could recommend a painter/repair place I would be in your debt.

Henki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:01 am Reply with quote
lofter
looks like my size too , eh sandman?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:06 am Reply with quote
lofter
Henki wrote:
I am thinking about trying to bring it back to the original - but slowly upgrade the components to all Campy SR (circa 80s)Henki

im finkel when it comes to the high end bikes , keep it simplex. its what was supposed to be there. cept for the brakes , they were modolo master pros and a cinelli 1r stem and cinelli bars.the 84 was when they went back to campy sr. but its yours to do with what u want. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:08 am Reply with quote
lofter
Henki wrote:

Again, if anyone could recommend a painter/repair place I would be in your debt.Henki

i too have to have my 83 repainted , peeps for some reason are hard on the number pegs .mine isnt bent , but not perfect either.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:26 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I think that the number pegs get bent when hanging the bikes and putting them on car mounts. You can probably just bend it back into shape, being careful not to snap it off. But if you are doing a repaint anyways, it can always be repaired.

That certainly appears to be a 1983 Team Pro. There are several refinishers online...I don't have any that I recommend. I would caution against a few, but would prefer to do that via a private message....

respray 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Well, it looks like we've got another Greg LeMond fan on our hands. That respray is pretty close to the paint job on LeMond's Botteccia in 89. What's the bet it was a LeMond fan Team Pro, turned into a modern LeMond fan bike in 89/90????

Also check the serial no. against the serial no. thread on this forum - but don't be too disappointed if they don't match either. The only pattern to gitane serial no's, that we have discovered so far is random space noise made by old soviet satelites.

Looks like vitus rear tips???? Bit hard to tell though. Should be stamped into the tip itself.

Bottom line. How many people would respray a non-gitane frame, and put gitane decals on it? Not many IMO. Colnago has many fakes, but gitane?

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel
East Bay Repainting 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:30 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Ed Litton in Richmond does very nice work. It will look original, not the kind of clearcoat overkill that some people apply. He charges ~$600 for a complete paint job if no other work is required.

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/Ed_Litton.htm

There are several other bike painters around including one in San Leandro who is supposed to be good and reasonable. Ask around some of the better bike shops (not the carbon glory holes).

Finding the 1983 decals may be difficult but Cyclomondo sells some 1984 repro decals on eBay for $40.00

Look at the Classic Rendezvous website for lots of ideas:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com

Chas.
I think I have stumbled upon... 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane