gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 1972-73 54cm TdF on eBay
1972-73 54cm TdF on eBay 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
verktyg
There's a nice 1972 or 73 gold 54cm TdF on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GITANE-TOUR-DE-FRANCE-ROAD-BIKE-CLASIC-W-CAMPY-SWEET_W0QQitemZ250201706858QQihZ015QQcategoryZ98084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's been updated with Simplex Super LJ alloy derailleurs, an Avocet saddle and Campy low flange hubs (with sewups). The super LJs shift far better than Campy derailleurs from that era.

Someone put on a set of MTB bars, stem, brake levers and thumb shifters. It needs road bars and stem, shift levers, brake levers and probably new sewups.

If it were a 57cm I'd be jumping all over it.

Happy New Year to all....

Chas.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:27 am Reply with quote
lofter
sure would look good with some gold slj derailleurs that ive seen on ebay from time to time. Wink
Gold! 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Happy New Year Lofter,

Gold anodized bars:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nitto-Handlebar-Gold-Model-176-Size-42-NEW_W0QQitemZ370010237594QQihZ024QQcategoryZ27951QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gold anodized Mafac Competition or 2000 brakes and levers and gold anodized rims too!

I have gold SLJ derailleurs and gold Mafacs on one of my Andre Bertin bikes. When we were importing Bertins in the mid 1970s we had several high end bikes come with really nice metallic gold paint. They had a gold clearcoat which brought out the color. We changed the brakes and derailleurs over to gold anodized models plus we put on gold anodized rims. They were really sharp.

Chas.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:03 am Reply with quote
lofter
sweet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:20 am Reply with quote
lofter
hey verktyg , what did u put that simplex long cage touring derailleur that u bought a while back on? ive been looking for one of those lately.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
verktyg
lofter wrote:
hey verktyg , what did u put that simplex long cage touring derailleur that u bought a while back on? ive been looking for one of those lately.

Lofter, There was one of those long arm Simplex RDs on eBay that just closed last night. It was one of the all alloy SLJs. Mine has a steel cage which I prefer for rigidity on long arm RDs. There's a complete set on eBay now but it's the SX810 lower end version.

A few months back I picked up a 1980 Motobecane Grand Jubilee frame. Most of the Grand Jubilee models had club racer geometry. This bike has true touring geometry with 44cm chainstays etc. It's built from Vitus 172 tubing.

I put on Simplex touring derailleurs with retro-friction shift levers, Mafac 2000 brakes and levers, a Stronglight 99 triple crankset. I wanted another bike for pulling the hills around here. I still have to put on the cables and tape the bars before it's ready to go. The bike originally came with 27" wheels. I have a set of Maillard hubs and 27" Super Champion rims to build up but I also have a nice set of period correct 700c wheels. I haven't decided what to go with yet.

I have a bunch of Motobecanes. They had better paint and lug work but the frames were never quite as well built as Gitanes. They're a lot easier to find in nice condition that Gitanes. I like taunting the Italo-Brit-centric retro guys that I ride with - Gitane, Bertin, Motobecane.... Laughing

Chas.
Followup 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:17 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
lofter wrote:
sure would look good with some gold slj derailleurs that ive seen on ebay from time to time.

Bike sold for $306. It was sitting at $168 early this morning.

It does have gold anodized Simplex derailleurs. Cool

Too bad it and the other 54cm Gitane on eBay aren't 57cm frames. Crying or Very sad

Chas.
1972-73 54cm TdF on eBay 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane