gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Gitane Team Replica headset size question
Gitane Team Replica headset size question 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Henki
Hi All,

2 weeks into my restoration project. Bike shop removed all parts and informed me that the headset was "English 26.4"

Does this size designation make any sense? They also informed me the bottom bracket was beyond hope - so, what type of headset would I be looking for and what size?

Any help advice, as always, is greatly appreciated!

Henki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
The threading is english, and the tube diameter is 26.4. It is a pain in the ass to find perfectly fitting headset cups. Perhaps Chas can weigh in on this, because he seems most knowledgeable on the tech stuff!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:11 am Reply with quote
lofter
i have the lighter than campy, stronglight a-9 needle bearing headset english threaded.its what was supposed to went with that bike . and come to think of it , that brazeon for the front derailleur , ive never seen a campy in that style . ive seen a simplex , huret and a mavic but never a campy. unless there is a special made one that was a limited production that i dont know about.kinda like the campy aero cranks i bought but never knew they were made.
Re: Gitane Team Replica headset size question 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:24 am Reply with quote
lofter
Henki wrote:
They also informed me the bottom bracket was beyond hope

do you mean that its threadings are trashed and they cant fix them by tapping them or something ? if so youll need to look for a bb that will work without having to use the trashed threading. ive seen on ebay when looking for mavic parts , such a bb . it slides thru the bb shell and it tightens by spinning the lock rings at each end of the bb shell . the rings are tapered on the inside so it forms a seal up against the bb shell . as u tighten it it holds the spindle and cartridge in place . alot of the aluminum vitus frames of the eighties had the trashed threading problems and this was one of the work arounds .
sorry - bottom bracket was okay - headset was bad 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Henki
Hi - sorry, headset was the problem.

Does anyone know of a good replacement HEADSET?

Let me know -

Henki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
lofter
sorry yeah a STRONGLIGHT a A-9 headset.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote
lofter
heres what there talking about , the 26.4 is the inside diameter of the stearing race that goes on the bottom or the steering tube . heres a couple pics to show what im talking about.

the second pic is where the bottom race goes . a race is the surface of which the bearings of the headset roll on . the diameter of the stearing tube is 26. theres a little bit more of a ridge that the race sits on and its diameter is 26.4 , the same as the inside of the stearing race itself.the english threading is the threading thats on the top of the stearing tube.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
lofter
hope this helps give you a idea of what hey mean . on my 84 the race is a little smaller the the 83 . i found this out cause i was going to use the 83 fork on the 84 cause it had the gitane decals on the forks. so i thought i would just put the campy headset on it and swap the fork since the 84 was the bike i was working on first. nope the ridge where the race set was smaller than the 83 so no dice .even tho the english threads were the same the race size wasnt. the 83s that you have, was supposd to have all french stuff, as in componets on it to showcase the all frenchness of the renault team and bikes. the team was mostly all french riders cept for a couple riders ..lemond and a belgian i believe. hence the all french team , and bikes and equipment , cept for one thing , the stem and bars and brakes were cinelli and modolo.
Headset threads 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Lofter et al,

On nominal 1" (25mm) headsets there were 2 different "standards" Rolling Eyes for the internal diameter of the crown race that fits on the fork crown: 26.4mm and 27.0mm. BTW, good pictures.

Campy and most better quality headsets used 26.4mm but some French, Italian and British headsets used 26.5mm. Some old Stronglight headsets like the S5 Super Competition used the 27.0mm and so did some of the Japanese headsets.

It's no biggie as 26.4mm is the most common size. The biggest problem is getting a replacement headset with the same "stack height" - that's the height of all of the parts up to the top of the upper adjustable race or cup (or in some cases the total height of the headset components with the bearings.

Most pro headsets have a stack height of 38mm to 43mm.

What was the original headset in the frame. It's easy to work backwards. As I've oft mentioned many bike shop mechanics don't have a clue about stuff that was built before they were a gleam! Throw in the word French and all of the old wives tales they've heard - the eyes glaze over as they roll back in the head! Rolling Eyes

Most better quality headsets have the thread size marked in one or both of the threaded components. When that not the case you need to measure the steering tube and threads. Metric threads are 25mm and an English threaded (25.4mm) part can be stripped on but not vice versa (in most cases). Rolling Eyes

So Henki needs to get all of the information so we are not guessing.

Chas.
Gitane Team Replica headset size question 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane