gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Foil Decals for Early Gitane Racing Models Goto page 1, 2  Next
Foil Decals for Early Gitane Racing Models 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
I sent an email to Greg at Cyclomondo today inquiring about foil decals for early 70s Gitane Interclub, Tour de France and Super Corsa bikes.

He responded and said that someone was going to send him a set of these decals so that he could make copies.

Fess up, who dropped the ball... Embarassed

Chas.
I hope someone else has been visiting with him also. 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:27 am Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Dear gts753,

Greg,thanks for the quality work. I couldn't be happier with the decals you've supplied for my '70 Gitane TdeF restoration--excellent work and materials. I visited your site originally this past summer thru the link at Stephan's Gitane USA site. I just want you to know that if some work is in process for the early '70 foil decals that you can count me in for many sets. (I have a complete (almost) set of the decals for the Gitane Interclub that I purchased in about 1972.) I purchased them to replace the damaged large Seat Tube Gitane decal. That Seat Tube decal is probably the Pearl that everyone wishes was available so I'm sorry I don't have that one. I guess my point is I spent quite a bit of time trying to find these foil decals about a decade ago to no avail. If (as the rumor has it) you are working on these foil sets and if these originals could be of any help in creating repro items I'd like to make them available for your use--I recognize your good stewardship. Sincerely, C.A.
This is the body of my message to Greg last evening from my Ebay messenger site.

I forwarded this probably about 7:43 CST last evening ---mainly appreciating the decals that I purchased for the 70 TdeF project---but kind of offering the use of the decal set that I have if it would be helpful.
Here is his reply back about 8: 18 CST

Hi,
If you could scan these decals that would be great. That would save posting them and keep them in your posession. I would need a sizing reference as well. I do have another set of Gitane decals that I sent a photo to Stephan, and he said I should do ...these are from about 1980 and appeared on team bikes.
Let the others on the list see if they can track down the elusive decal/s that are missing. I dont imagine selling many at all, but I do know that amongst a few of you there is a keen interest.
Cheers
Greg

- gts753

Chas I hope that there is someone else out there that Greg is referencing besides ME. I believe the excitement about this rumor is about a week or 10 days old. But I guess this may also be a point to ask other members that may have a seat tube decal (I may try to see If I can debond the one on the red damaged '73 TdeF frame---but it's not in terribly great shape.) If I can get it off without further damage --maybe it could be touched up with the Photoshop imaging process or whatever the process he utilizes.

I'm inclined to visit with Greg further and just mail my decal set for his use VS scanning them as he has suggested. Especially if it will allow him to more accurately create a repro.

Maybe somebody else out there has been in touch with Greg---or I hope so, because a source of the front fork decals for SuperCorsa, Tour de France and the elusive Seat Tube decal probably would be needed to complete the set of Gitane decals in my Interclub set.

Sincerely,
C.A.
Decals 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Great, C.A. looks like you did your part.

It suddenly occurred to me that if I had a set of the foil decals, I could stop looking for an orange or gold TdF or SC and get my late 60s ratty white TdF repainted. Cool

I got overwhelmed by the thought! Laughing

I think that there could be a lot bigger demand for the foil decals than Greg realizes, probably at least 10-15 sets just from this group.

Chas.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
lynnef
Uh, yes. Mine could have a proper repaint. That isn't grot around the lugs - it is metal...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:04 am Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Sorry for the delay getting back to this subject --just real busy the last 36 hrs. orchestrating our annual Boy Scout chili supper fund raiser.

Per my earlier post I want to visit with Greg to get some more instruction in what he needs or would prefer.

I'll try to create an image or two of the decals that are in the Interclub set to post hopefully later today and forward to Greg.

To cover the spectrum of decals needed for the early '70s frames my assuption is Greg would also need examples of:

The large Seat Tube Gitane foil sticker "the pearl" that everyone desires
Front fork tube decals, for TdeF and SuperCorsa
Downtube foil sticker, for Professionel TdeF and Professionel SuperCorsa

Am I missing any other Gitane decals that members are aware of ???
As I mentioned to Chas earlier; I might be able to remove examples of the Seat tube and down tube foil stickers from the red '73 TdeF frame.

Like you Chas, when I saw the note that Wisey had posted back on the 21st, I got pretty excited---I expect quite a few of us would jump at the opporutnity to refinish some of our frames if we could accurately re-decal the new paint finish.

I would like to hope that Greg's earlier reply to Chas on the 24th was not based on my message to Greg 4 hours earlier on the 23rd. I hope that there is someone else out there that has been in contact with Greg.

Because it will really be Great if somehow repro decals and foil stickers for these early '70s come to fruition.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:32 am Reply with quote
verktyg
C.A.

From the sound of Greg's message to me on 1/23/08, he had been in contact with someone a while back.

"Hi Chas,
I have been waiting for the foil decals to arrive so as I can remanufacture them. I get a lot of enquiries, so I have lost track of who wa supposed to send them to me...so maybe you can get on your forum and find out who has a set of original foil decals that were meant to be sent over.
Cheers
Greg"

Don't forget the chequered flag top tube decal. Those are the first to get damaged. Also what about the black and red "hand made" seat tube decal and the chainstay decal?

There were separate fork decals for all 3 models (Interclub, TdF and SC)
but I've seen the Tour de France stickers on all 3 models too.

Chas.
Good news, Bad news 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:13 am Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Well, I'll wait a few hrs, until it gets closer to mid day Australia time to message Greg with these images.

Decal set early '70 Interclub

The bad news: I didn't realize the Red '73 TdeF frame had previously had Seat Tube and Down tube foil stickers removed---(actually almost all markings other than a tattered Reynolds and scrapped up 'custom made'
are gone from that damaged frame)---I've salvaged several components from that damaged frame over the last month or two; but really didn't think about the decals until this last hour.

So sorry everybody---hopefully the missing links (especially a seat tube foil sticker) will become available somehow.

I'll update after Greg gives me some guidance. Suspect I'll scan, but also probably will ask him if I can forward the originals---I don't see how he could duplicate the 'Checkered' Service Course Top Tube decal without separating it from it's original background. (The white lettering over the paper backing is difficult to image.) Possibly this original decal would have to be sacrificed to be able to image lettering against a different background color, in order to create an image for ReProduction purposes.

Anyhow, thanks all for following this post, Maybe Nicholas knows some bike shop owners that have a dusty old set of Gitane decals stashed in the rafters of their shop in France.

I'll be back later,---but after about 10days of snow and temps in the single digits and teens during the recent Artic blast. It's sunny and nearing the 50's today --my bike is suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder and it's calling me to get it off the rollers and out into the sunshine. This year (the 3rd molar surgery earlier in December) and especially the snow and ice since, has really added insult to our normal outdoor time. So we're going riding!!!

P.S. after looking at this post---sorry for the image focus when full sizing-I didn't mount the camera to tripod--but hopefully it gives a general idea.
missing decals 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
If someone has a bike with the missing decals and a digital camera, Greg may be able to work with that. You also nedd accurate measurements witha flexible ruler. For example, I sent him a pic of the badly faded & damaged Reynolds 453 decal off my Defi, and he repro'd a beaut.

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel
Amazing 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
What a couple hours on the bike on a sunny January day can do with one's spirit---I feel better now!! --and though she got a little wet an cold the Interclub's happy too---better than me sweating all over her in the basement on the rollers.

And thanks Wisey for your post, after seeing that example--Amazing!!! I feel even better because if I can get the images that Greg would require---I know that the '72 Interclub that I got this summer has a PRISTINE seat tube decal. And although it's a little rougher probably the T de F decal from the front fork of the '70 Blue TdF might work (picking it up off the blue background might be less effective than the image the white '72 Interclub might create)---I just don't have an example of the down tube foil Tour De France sticker --as someone had removed it previously.

Chas, on earlier posts you included some images of a gorgeous Criterium Violet Super Corsa----any possibility the owner of that bike would consent to trying to image the front fork decal and down tube foil sticker?

Maybe from several members & several directions but possibly this project could come together successfully.

I intend to message Greg---but if he can work from several images to 'stitch' images created from several exposures from different directions of the foil sticker placed around a seat tube maybe we've got a chance. I just assumed he would need to work with the 'flat' original decals. Certainly what he did with the example Wisey posted is amazing. The Reynolds and Mavic rim stickers I purchased a couple weeks ago are excellent reproductions.

Thanks again Wisey for your example of his craftsmanship and touch-up Reproduction skills.

Decal Pics 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:35 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
I'll get in touch with Eric on the purple SC decals. Also I've been collecting a bunch of pics of Gitane decals off of the web.

Chas.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:56 am Reply with quote
cbs
This is great news, have been without many of these foils since the plater removed in the '70's and will be in the line to sign up for a set or two, By the way, what does "e-mail" decal.....say?

Cort (CBS) in MI

Quote:
"I am not a commercial spokesperson for Gitane, I am a cyclist".
Re: Amazing 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:20 am Reply with quote
verktyg
smilingroadrunner wrote:
Chas, on earlier posts you included some images of a gorgeous Criterium Violet Super Corsa----any possibility the owner of that bike would consent to trying to image the front fork decal and down tube foil sticker? C.A. Salina, Ks.

C.A.

I emailed Eric to get his OK to use some of the pictures off of his web site,

Here's the link to his Gitane SC pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericm/sets/72157601466443747/

Chas.
Well hopefully the gears are in motion. 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:52 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Chas---you got your ears on this evening---You and my spouse may be kindred spirits (a couple of nite owls) a 4:20 am post--or in her case she's going to bed--an you are just getting up.

I'm in the process of forwarding the scanned images of the decal set to Greg this evening. Waiting for a little feedback from him right now before I send the balance of the scanned images.

Do you think that Eric would re-image slightly closer images of the "Professionnal Super Corsa" down tube foil sticker, and the right front fork decal? Greg needs a mm ruler near the decals in the same (or very close to the same) focal plane of the decal to be able to work from these photo images.

I have been in contact with the owner of the red Super Corsa here in Salina that I've been trying to get my hands on for years. If Eric could help it would be great, because the red frame here in Salina has Reynolds fork decals on both sides (it does not have the Olive leaf crest --or whatever the symbolism of that S.C. fork decal) I could get an image of the downtube S.C. foil sticker if needed from this frame. The images that you linked to Eric's bike look like the sticker and decal are in good shape

So again thanks for the link and the additional images of that Criterim Violet frame.

Looks like hopefully the gears are in motion---I hope to create the additional images of the seat tube foil sticker Friday or Saturday. As you saw from my PM the other day--we may still need a better image of the "Professionnal Tour De France" down tube foil sticker. The image from my white TdeF that I sent you may be difficult to create and not have the annoying Austin TX bike registration # show in the image. My hope is to lay the ruler above the frame decal and block out the numbers--then will see if Greg says it is acceptable.

I'll keep everyone up to date---so far Greg seemed to be happy with the image scan I sent earlier this evening.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Quote:
because the red frame here in Salina has Reynolds fork decals on both sides (it does not have the Olive leaf crest --or whatever the symbolism of that S.C. fork decal)

Guess I should have looked closer at IMG 2353 before posting this---Looks more like a couple heads of wheat or barley clusters---not sure what the symbolism link to Gitane or Super Corsa of this decal represents.

Any thoughts or knowledge???

Gitane Decals 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:58 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
C.A.

I don't think that I could take a better shot of the fork decal than this one. It's a high resolution photo. I'll PM a copy to you.

I think that it's a symbol of the World Champion colors along with laurel leaves as in "taking the laurels".

One of my Super Corsas had this decal but I think the other one had the yellow and blue Tour de France decal. I've seen the TdF decals on Interclubs, TdFs and SC forks.

Here's a good shot of the Service Course top tube decal:

Upper seat tube:

There's a ride scheduled for Feb. 9th. I'll be able to get a good shot of the seat tube decal then. As far as a ruler for the other decals, the top tube is 26mm diameter and the down tube and seat tube are 28mm diameter.

Chas.
Foil Decals for Early Gitane Racing Models 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane