gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » deltas available to the public?
deltas available to the public? 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:32 pm Reply with quote
lofter
got a miror de cyclisme tour edition 1988 in the mail, pulled out the systeme u poster that came with and flipped it over to see a whole line of clothing that looks for sale and a line of bikes that appears for sale also . in the line is the delta. im taking a pic to put up maybe nicolas or ti- commuter can confirm this?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
lofter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Wow. I want all of that stuff. Simply the pinnacle of Gitane /Systeme U design. Where can I get it???

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
lofter
crap, i almost forgot the poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I had that poster in high school...but the back wasn't the same. Got it from a Miroir...but not the "tour de france" edition. That back side is great...and the front is the goofiest poster ever, which makes it great. I am green with jealously....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:47 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Thanks Lofter, this is very interesting and I think the team only ran this kit and bike colour coding combination for 1988. It really does stand out.

When comparing this edition against the 1988 brochures, much of the kit, most of the bikes too, are not listed. This really is the Pro marketing piece. Lovely to see.

Does anyone on the forum own a Delta? I'm guessing that it's the ultimate Gitane to own and rare too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:55 am Reply with quote
lofter
Gtane wrote:

Does anyone on the forum own a Delta? I'm guessing that it's the ultimate Gitane to own and rare too.

not to my knowledge. ive seen a track version up close . it was a show bike. all the years ive been watching ebay ive never seen one .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:47 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
There was a 1988 Delta available on French ebay about 4 years ago. A picture of it is on the website under the "models" section. However, the seller had 0 feedback and it was a pick up only...so I don't know if it was for real or not. It didn't sell. By the way, it came with two sets of wheels: Wolber diskjets and spoked.

Link:
http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/models/timetrial/1984-1988-TT-Bike.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:22 am Reply with quote
lofter
that would have been sweet. hopefully nicolas or ti can chime in and let us know what all this says on the back of this poster . would be nice to know if at least the 88 was available by special order.ive seen that pic in the tt models section . hell even discjet wheels r hard to find.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Thanks Stephan for the info.. I did see the delta in the models section and wondered if it was owned by a forum member but thought not as there was no connection. It's a stunning machine. Maybe, just maybe, it could be worth trying to make contact if you still have the details. Amazing that it didn't sell but I agree with 0 feedback as it may have put people off. It's probably sitting in their attic right now. Now, that would be worth a flight to France for.

Thanks Lofter too. I remember seeing the track version and the shots you posted of a machine without a badge looking as if it was not painted. A glorious machine. Is it worth making an offer? I've never seen Discjet wheels for sale but I'm off to a bike jumble at the weekend so maybe, or even a delta.

We just have to keep looking because we've seen that they exist. It's rather like fishing, knowing that the big one is out there. It's simply a matter of that old favourite... ...time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:48 pm Reply with quote
lofter
Gtane wrote:
Thanks Lofter too. I remember seeing the track version and the shots you posted of a machine without a badge looking as if it was not painted. A glorious machine. Is it worth making an offer? I've never seen Discjet wheels for sale but I'm off to a bike jumble at the weekend so maybe, or even a delta.

We just have to keep looking because we've seen that they exist. It's rather like fishing, knowing that the big one is out there. It's simply a matter of that old favourite... ...time.

it was a show bike,it was gold at one time or a copper looking color.there was some grime on the bb and i kinda rubbed it off and whamo beautiful shine. the rest was really oxcidized bad.i made a offer for it but its a messed up deal that im kinda just waiting to see what happens with.i would probably go up more on the offer, but its just not happening.
yeah its like fishing, just keep that line in the water, hoping for the big one lol.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:44 am Reply with quote
Gtane
It would be nice to rescue it Lofter. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. It's too good to let go so do keep that line in the water.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote
nicolas
Apparently, all of this was available to the public.

But the whole communication is such centered on maxi-sports and not gitane, it might explain why the team had to move to raleigh the following year.

Not sure if any order was made and fulfilled...

www.greglemondfan.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:18 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
"Maxi Sports" was the name of the company which owned the team. Think that their switch to Raleigh was purely financial: Gitane was cutting budgets, as they were cut loose by Renault Group, and Raleigh had more money to give to the team. Although Gitane was in the pro peleton after 1988, they never had the high profile that they had prior to that date.

deltas available to the public? 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane