gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Super Corsa, TdF, and 600 info on Wool Jersey
Super Corsa, TdF, and 600 info on Wool Jersey 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quote
vanhelmont
Looking for Super Corsa pics I found extensive info as well as pics of a restored '71 SC at

www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/broderir/1971-Gitane-SC/

The owner worked at a shop in Beaverton, OR, and describes peculiarities and options of the bike.

He provides detailed info also on his own '73 TdF at

www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/broderir/1973-Gitane-TdF/

He talks about the origin of the Campy dropout TdF frames, among other things.
And there is a road test of '76 TdF and 600 at

www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/broderir/Catalogs-Posters/Gitane/Bicycling-1976-07-B/
Super Corsas 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Gitane Super Corsas were great bikes. Before Campy brought out their side pull brakes in 1969, most pros used Mafac centerpull brakes. Campy side pulls were pretty rare as were most Campy equipped bikes in the early 70s.

Almost all of the French makers (except Peugeot) had an all Campy model but they were very rare bikes. Between the late 60s and early 70s there were probably no more than a few thousand Super Corsas imported into the US.

In those days, bikes with all Campy components were the domain of serious cycling enthusiasts plus a few well to do consumers. They were the equivalent of a Porsche or a Ferrari: $300 bucks was a lot to chunk out for a bicycle! Shocked

Italian made Campy equipped bikes were more common. Atala, Bottecchia and Legnano/Frejus were some of the more popular makes that offered Campy equipped models. Masi, Cinelli and Colnago were in the $500-$600 range.

During the US Bike Boom Gitane Tour de France bikes were much more popular and more readily available than Interclub and Super Corsa bikes. There was always a shortage of components. I've seen a few early 70s TdFs with Campy dropouts and I've also seen Tour de France fork decals on all 3 racing models from those years.

By the end of the Boom in 1974 TdFs sold for $285 while Super Corsas were $525 or $575 with Campy brakes if you could find one. Raleigh Pros were in the $600 range and top quality Italian bikes were $600-$800.

Some French builders were selling high end models with French components and Campy derialleurs. Simplex and Huret didn't bring out any decent derailleurs until after the Bike Boom ended, by that time their reputation was tarnished and the Japanese were taking over.

Chas.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:46 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
That is some great stuff, isn't it? I have spoken to the owner before, who has given me permission to use the information on this website. I am in the middle of revamping the website to include this and other information, but real life keeps getting in the way!

Super Corsa, TdF, and 600 info on Wool Jersey 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane