gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 70s Tour de France Goto page 1, 2  Next
70s Tour de France 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:53 pm Reply with quote
morellib
Well, I'm new to the forum and hope someone can shed some light on my recent Gitane acquisition. Found this at an antique store in Franklin TN for $95 and after looking at this site and the excellent info, I'm not exactly sure of the date. I've put money into new cables, vintage Campy top tube cable clips, bartape and a Brooks saddle, but everything else is as I found it and it rides like a dream. Fortunately it was my size so I've added a steel retro bike to my collection. Photo shows what I have, but basic description is a green frame with only the right side Tour de France fork decal and a partial red decal on the seat tube. It has Campy dropouts and fork tips, Campy nuovo high flange hubs, Campy shifters, Suntour v-luxe rear derailier, Suntour Cyclone front derailier, Stronglight 93 star pattern crank, Lyotard 460D pedals, Sugino bottom bracket, Stronglight headset, S/R Aero stem, GB engraved handlebars, Weinmann 605 sidepull brakes, and a 6 speed freewheel. It came with a beat up Avocet saddle but it was too far gone to keep. I've read a lot about some of the T de Fs being built out on Super Corsa frames, thus the Campy dropouts, but I can't explain why I have other components which I don't read about the T de Fs having. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. The frame has the normal chips and a little rust here and there but the ride is very smooth and everything is very true and straight. Thanks in advance for your input.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Nice bike. You have about a 1972 to 1973 Gitane Tour de France.

They were made with Reynolds 531 tubing. The frame, cranks, pedals, headset and Campy Nuovo Tipo hubs are original.

The bike came with Simplex Criterium derailleurs, Pivo alloy bars with a cast aluminum Pivo stem, Mafac Racer or Competition brakes plus sewup tires and rims. The upgraded components will give you years of pleasurable riding.

You have a rare one with Campy rear dropouts. Most Tour de France frames came with Simplex dropouts. Your fork dropouts may be Huret or Simplex possibly Campagnolo.

If it hasn't already been done, the bottom bracket, hubs and headset should have the ball bearings replaced and repacked with new grease. If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself, try to find a shop with experience working on older bikes. If they Rolling Eyes take it somewhere else.

BTW, replacement decals will be available soon.

Chas.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
morellib
Thanks for the quick response. The shop I took it to loved working on it and did as you said, stripped everything down, greased and repacked headset bearings, bottom bracket etc. Can you tell by the photo what type of wheels these are? I can't find any markings on them whatsoever.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quote
morellib
Sorry. I realize I didn't post my name and city.

Bill Morelli
Brentwood, Tennessee
Wheels 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
As you mentioned, the hubs are Campy Nuovo Tipo. Are these 27" wheels?

When this bike was new most European brands had similar "racing" models equipped with tubular (sewup) tires and rims. During that time most tubular wheels were 700c size which was also the standard size for clincher tires and rims in France and several other European countries.

Tubulars were the standard tires for bicycle road racing in Europe and the UK. The benefit of using 700c clinchers was that you could switch between sewups and clinchers and not have to adjust your brake reach. For this reason 700c tires and rims were readily available in most European countries.

Not so in the US where 27" was the standard size for clinchers on most imported 10 speed bikes of that era. It wasn't until the late 1970s that 700c tires and rims became somewhat easier to find here in the US.

Prior to that many people had their sewup wheels converted to 27" clinchers. These are 4mm bigger in diameter than tubular and 700c rims and caused brake reach problems and sometimes tire clearance problems on some bikes.

In 1975 Michelin in conjunction with Mavic introduced the Elan tire which was an early attempt to produce a high pressure clincher tire with the the performance of a sewup. The Elans came in 27" x 3/4" and 700c x 19mm sizes.

Mavic "Module E" (E for Elan) rims were designed for these kind of tires. They had "hooks" to fit into a corresponding shape in the bead of the tires to keep them from blowing off at 100+ PSI of air pressure. They were some of the first "narrow" clincher rims - 19-20mm wide like a sewup rim vs. standard clincher rims 22-25mm wide.

Getting back to your wheels, can't really tell much from the pictures. Can you take some closeups of the rims? How wide are the rims across the braking area? What shape are they in the tire bead seating area? Do they have ferrules around the spoke nipple holes?

Here's some old adds with information on some French and Italian rims from that era.

They could be French made Mavic, Super Champion, or Rigida rims or from one of the Japanese rim makers.

Chas.
Dinosaur Relics of our Past 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:20 am Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Thanks Chas for the look back into the 70's with these advertisements Cool

Don't we all wish we could find NOS rims and sew-ups at those prices today.

I particularly like the tire pressure gauge---a reminder for me to scrounge around in the shop because I had a couple of those and don't recall ever disposing of them so they should be down there somewhere.

I enjoyed the link to Jobst Brandt photos of the Alpine passes---I had a huge Bicycle Seat Touring Bag w support frame that I think I sold Crying or Very sad with my Schwinn Continental in the Spring of '71 to buy my first Gitane Interclub. Jobst's photos brought back memories of how functional (though it seemed like the back of my thighs would bump into it while riding) those rear bags were for weekend road trips from Salina over to KSU , Manhattan Ks.

P.S. thanks for the tip about the proper location on the Mafac brake arms to create the "toe in" bend for the brake pads

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote
morellib
As Chas suggested,here are some additional pictures of my TdF. The wheels are 27" and perhaps these pictures show them a little better. I just bought decals for this as suggested on ebay. Do people put a clear coat over them after applying, or is that unnecessary, or a matter of opinion. Thanks for the input. Bill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Gitane didn't clear coat over any decals/stickers in until the turn of the century...2000!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:26 pm Reply with quote
morellib
Thanks for the quick reply. I guess if I don't have any decals now, the one I put on should last at least as long as I'll be riding the bike! Smile Do you know of any left side pictures of this year Td F so when I get the decals I can apply them correctly on the left side? It seems all pictures I've seen are of the drive side. Bill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:50 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
The left side decals are identical to the drive side, with three exceptions:

On the fork, there is only a "Reynolds 531" decal, and no "tour de france" decal (it is only on the drive side, even though the kit comes with an extra one, don't put it on your bike - it does make for a nice car sticker, though!).

The "e..... polymerese" (spelling?) decal goes on one chain stay...but I just forgot which one! I believe it is the left side chain stay, but let's double check and confirm before you apply that decal!

The "Service Course" sticker is only on the drive side, with the globe towards the front of the top tube. See the catalogue on the gitaneusa website for details...

Stephan

R Rear Chain stay 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:53 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
The "Quality Lacquer Finish" goes on the R rear chainstay---which often led to its early demise due to lubricant and/or chain damage.

It's to bad the folks at Gitane were not thinking clear years ago ---seems like this chainstay decal would have been safer on the left stay. I guess decal oreintation to the right side was favored to also show off the components.

Welcome back Daylight Savings Time---more time on the bike after work---and outside instead of the Kreitler rollers in the basement (we need the moisture but its been a long white winter--more so than recent years).

My new repro decals are on the way also!!

I Like Steel !!!

Rims? Campy Droputs 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:34 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
morellib,

You lucked out and got one of the rare "Tour de France" frames that came with Campagnolo rear dropouts instead of Simplex dropouts. It's actually a Super Corsa frame with Tour de France decals.

I can't tell from the picture what make the front dropouts are. Gitane frequently used Huret front dropouts on frames with Campy rear dropouts. I guess it saved a Franc or two. Rolling Eyes

Your rims don't look like any of the French brands. They're probably Italian made Fiame rims or one of the Japanese brands like Araya.

Quality high performance 27" tires are getting very to find in the US.

Panaracer Pasela and Pasela TG tires are still available in 27 x 1", 27 x 1 1/8" and 27 x 1 1/4" sizes.
http://www.panaracer.com/eng/products/index_ur.html#c

IRC lists several styles of 27 x 1 1/8" and 27 x 1 1/4" tires. Their site has been hijacked as I write this so you will have to do a Google search.

I suggest that you stock up on at least a pair of 27" performance tires now while you can still find them. The other option is if anything happens to one of the rims or you can no longer find good 27" tires, change them both out to 700c size rims. Your brakes will fit better and there are a multitude of great 700c tires available.

So far all of the decals that I've gotten from Cyclomondo have been made with a heavy duty material that's much tougher than OEM decals that came on most bikes. We will have to wait and see how the silver foil decals hold up.

The "e'mail luxe polym'eris'e" (meaning deluxe polymer enamel) decals came on either or both sides. They always peeled off prematurely probably do to the "Pinocchio effect" Wink

As Stephan said the Tour de France decal was only used on the right fork blade like your current one. The left blade had a Reynolds 531 sticker. The larger Reynolds sticker went at the top of the seat tube.

Bike looks great.

Chas.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:44 am Reply with quote
morellib
Thanks to everyone for the decal advice. Chas, I just went up and confirmed that my front dropouts are Campy as well. So does that confirm the "Super Corsa frame with the TdF decals", i.e did the Super Corsa always come with Campy d/o front and rear or did they also sometime mix Campy rear with Huret or other brand front d/o? My bike shop found new Panaracer Pasela 27"x1" tires to put on it, but your idea of getting another spare set is a great one. After looking at your rim catalogue, the shape of my wheels looks very similiar to one of the Fiame's shown. I'm still a little puzzled about the 6 speed freewheel. I can't see any markings on it so I don't know the make, but I also haven't seen anything on the forum where others have this. Would this have been a later upgrade? It doesn't seem to affect the shifting which is extremely smooth. Just curious....... Thanks again.

Bill Morelli
Brentwood, TN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:12 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
morellib wrote:
..... I just went up and confirmed that my front dropouts are Campy as well. So does that confirm the "Super Corsa frame with the TdF decals", i.e did the Super Corsa always come with Campy d/o front and rear or did they also sometime mix Campy rear with Huret or other brand front d/o?.....

.....I'm still a little puzzled about the 6 speed freewheel. I can't see any markings on it so I don't know the make, but I also haven't seen anything on the forum where others have this. Would this have been a later upgrade? It doesn't seem to affect the shifting which is extremely smooth.....

Bill,

Super Corsa frames came with Campy rear dropouts and should have had matching Campy front dropouts. I've seen a number of Super Corsa frames and 1 or 2 Tour de France frames with Huret front dropouts (which were identical to Campys). I don't know whether it was due to availability problems or economics - the French were well known for their frugality. Confused

Gitane Tour de France bikes came with Simplex Criterium derailleurs and were spec'd out with matching Simplex dropouts. There were 3 non-standards for the gear hanger designs on the rear dropouts: Simplex, Huret and the defacto standard Campagnolo. They were not interchangeable without some modification to the gear hanger.

During the Great American Bike Boom of 1971 to 1974 component shortages were rampant in the European bicycle industry. At the same time there was a mini bike boom going on in Europe too.

Gitane sold far more of the less expensive Tour de France bikes than they did the Campagnolo equipped Super Corsa models. My guess is that from time to time Gitane had Super Corsa frames waiting to be assembled and more orders for Tour de France bikes than they could produce. Since both models were made of metric Reynolds 531 tubing and looked the same to a lay person the obvious solution would be to throw Tour de France components and decals on a Super Corsa frame and shove it out the door.

Decals were never put on until the bike was being assembled. Shortages of metric sized Reynolds 531 tubing could also have contributed to delivery problems.

One other important difference between SC and TdF frames is the length of the steering tube. It's longer on the SC models to fit the larger "stack height" of Campy headsets. The TdF frames used Stronglight P3 headsets with a shorter stack height so the steering tubes are at least 10mm shorter.

Unfortunately any SC frame used for a TdF bike would have had the steering tube cut too short to fit the 39mm to 42mm stack height of Campy and other professional quality headsets of that era.

One last difference, SC frames always used long point Prugnat lugs like on your frame. Near the end of the Bike Boom, TdF frames started coming through medium point Bocama lugs.

Concerning your freewheel, your fame should have 120mm wide rear dropouts for a 5 speed rear hub. The original 6 speed freewheels were used on 125mm or 126mm wide rear hubs and would have required the rear triangle to be spread 5mm to 6mm to fit properly.

In the mid 70s Suntour introduced their "Ultra" narrow width freewheels that allowed for 6 sprockets on a 5 speed hub. Some other manufactures followed suit.

Looking at the silver cogs on your freewheel, you could have a Suntour, Shimano, Maillard or one of half dozen other brands so it's hard to tell. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It's very likely that your hub takes a metric threaded freewheel which makes things more interesting as far as replacement goes. It's also possible that some ham handed person could have forced an English threaded freewheel onto the hub.... so if it ain't broke.... Rolling Eyes

Hope that helps a little more.

Chas.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote
morellib
Chas.- Again, thanks for the wonderful history lesson. Someone who's new to all this like me really appreciates the patience and helpfulness of all the people on the site. One last question. Are there sources for touch up paint to cover some of the more obvious chips and scratches before I apply the decals, or is that considered the wrong thing to do?

Bill Morelli
Brentwood, TN
70s Tour de France 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane