gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Added an Interclub to my fleet. Goto page 1, 2  Next
Added an Interclub to my fleet. 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:44 am Reply with quote
Rustedbird
It is a 1972 Interclub, complete with original decals.The original owner had sew-up rims. Electric blue, very electric. It is a basket case though. Rear dérailleur is toast and both the bottom bracket and headset were "indexed". Most of the parts are soaking in cleaner now. Going to clean up the frame and preserve the decals.

I'm pretty good at fixing old Peugeots as I have had one for 24 years.

So, aside from the obvious French size and parts issues, anything particular to Gitanes to look for? Not too crazy about the stem of death.

It seems to be the same geometry as my tourer but with a shorter chainstay.

Pics soon, promise
Pivo 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
"The Stem of Death"

I like that Laughing

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
If you have wrestled with a Peugeot, expect more of the same with your "new" interclub. You have to love French precision engineering...at least in the 1970's.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
cbs
Hopefully it doesn't have the original seat. Have had my Interclub since new; Also have a Peugeot, what model do you have? Still like the Gitane best.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:06 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
cbs wrote:
Hopefully it doesn't have the original seat. Have had my Interclub since new; Also have a Peugeot, what model do you have? Still like the Gitane best.

Calling it a seat is a euphemism... Rolling Eyes

I picked up an all original 1967 Peugeot PX-10 "barn bike" a few months ago. It was covered with at least 20 years of dust and dirt. I have it pretty well cleaned up and I've been riding it lately.

I never liked the way Peugeots rode or handled back in the day. This PX-10 is no exception. It's a really harsh riding bike compared to my Gitanes and other French bikes.

Just before I found the Peugeot, I bought an almost identical late 60s Gitane Tour de France in about the same condition. I only rode it around the block once before I stripped it down to the bare frame to clean everything and overhaul the components. I'm waiting for a new front derailleur coming from eBay and I'll start putting it back together.

I'm interested in comparing the ride between the TdF and the PX-10. Gitane Reynolds 531 framed bikes were always smooth riding.

Chas.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:27 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Did you see the Gran Sport Deluxe on ebay recently? It looked brand new....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140215026687&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

I don't think I have ever seen one in this nice condition....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote
Rustedbird
[quote="cbs"]Hopefully it doesn't have the original seat. Have had my Interclub since new; Also have a Peugeot, what model do you have? Still like the Gitane best.[/quote]

It's an 84 UE8M. It has a really nice feel to it. It's been through the wars, rebuilt twice. Somewhat original. http://bp3.blogger.com/_xuXBw5wQ7hI/R9xBKtQ_JWI/AAAAAAAAAGU/loV3NMPoIgM/s1600-h/S7300528.JPG

A link for the picture as I'm trying to figure out the picture forum thingee.

Interesting parts mix on the Interclub. Suntour freewheel, Sugino Maxy three bolt crank. Never seen that before.

Edited to add:

Seat is definitely original leather Ideale. And looks ancient.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Ugh!!! What the heck is THAT??? What is with the strange "lion" thing on the front??? Wink

strange lion 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
That brand used to sponsor a team of skunks called 'Phew-Go' or something like that.

Rolling Eyes

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Rustedbird
[quote="sandranian"]Ugh!!! What the heck is THAT??? What is with the strange "lion" thing on the front??? Wink[/quote]

Cardiovascular stress testing device, especially going up hills.

The Gitane unfortunately looked like this.

http://bp1.blogger.com/_xuXBw5wQ7hI/R9w-7NQ_JVI/AAAAAAAAAGM/bOUCubriXxw/s1600-h/S7300506.JPG

Here's the crank, very weird to me.

http://bp0.blogger.com/_xuXBw5wQ7hI/R9xFU9Q_JaI/AAAAAAAAAG0/60NRbN4vC4Q/s1600-h/S7300509.JPG
Silk purse out of a Sow's Ear 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Nice Interclub, This will be a fun --possibly time consuming restoration. But the reward is there!!. Sorry I don't have a decent before image of my Champion Blue '70 TdeF when I received it from Oregon this past November. It was in VERY rough shape. But I'm just about to complete this one of my winter Gitane restore projects. Will post more images in a few days. Still need to Glue the sew-ups and complete some cleaning of the water bottle cage and pump assy. Hopefully the Reynolds decals from Cyclomondo will be here soon. I just completed the pedals tonight and much to my spouse' chagrin I couldn't resist taking it for a ride up and down the street (about an hour ago) in the dark---have to get the sew-ups on before I can really give it a ride---But it felt Great---even with the slow cautious ride in the dark.

So Just to give you an Idea of what can result with some elbow grease!

This past Saturday---still some freewheel - chain -rear stay clearance issues to work out.

Tonight --just about ready to add to the stable with the other Gitanes

I Like Steel!!!

Slightly different Maxy Crankset 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
This is a different crankset than my experience with the Sugino Maxy cranksets----at least the chain ring design.

Sugino Maxy crankset '71 Interclub--my first Gitane circa June 1971
My crankset seems to have the large chainring swagged?? (swedged??) to the crankarm assembly, and the small chainring bolts to the large ring,crankarm assembly.

I note your design seems to have the small inner ring--crankarm integrated with the large chain ring bolting to that assembly.

I have seen mention on this site of failure of these chainring-crankarm junctions. Maybe. I don't hammer my '71 Interclub as hard as I did when I was racing 36-37 years ago. But I have continued to use this bike as my daily ride/trainer all these years. Maybe I've been lucky--maybe pressing my luck---but the original handlebar stem and also the Sugino Maxy crankset has functioned and continues to without sign of failure.

I will admit that there is a definte "droop" to the original handlebars on the '71 however. This forground image is the "72 Interclub Younger-bigger brother to my "71 in the background that I hope to replace with period correct stem and handlebar and clean-up in the next few weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
sandranian wrote:
Did you see the Gran Sport Deluxe on ebay recently? It looked brand new.... I don't think I have ever seen one in this nice condition....

It looks better than the way a lot of them came out of the shipping boxes! Rolling Eyes

I don't recall ever seeing one in baby blue before.

Chas.
Maxi Cranks 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:33 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
I've never seen a Sugino Maxi crank like that before. All of the ones that I recall had the large chainring swagged onto the crank arm.

It was the early versions of these cranks that failed. Gitane Interclubs, some of the Japanese brands and a few British bikes came with Maxi cranks.

Chas.
Re: Silk purse out of a Sow's Ear 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Rustedbird
Hey, SmilingRR, I like the rebuild you did. Clean. So rear brake cable clamps hard to get? Mine are pretty rusty. Also, how did you get the seatpost to fit? I see that you do the right - front brake, left rear brake as well. The Interclub was set up with the reverse.

I got the seat post to budge, now to get it out. Last bit besides the wheels. Haven't decided on losing the sew ups and going clincher yet. Really like the Normandy hubs.
Added an Interclub to my fleet. 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane