gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Added an Interclub to my fleet. Goto page Previous  1, 2
Yeh, I'm kind of Backward 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Thanks Rustedbird, If you go to page 2 of the Vintage Gitane Forum, and scroll down to a title " A bigger younger brother" then scroll down to a post from the70'sbike. He has a beautiful example of the Candy Apple Blue (champion blue) Tour De France.

I pulled the Clincher wheelset off of the '72 white TdeF yesterday and took the '70 TdeF out for about an hour(couldn't wait for the sew-ups). Man it feels fast-light & responsive (maybe just extra adrenalin in my excitement) but seriously I'm interested to see how it feels when the sew-ups are mounted and curious to get on my Paramount and compare how the frames - ride respond.

I have to admit---I'm not sure that I've seen the Huret Brake cable clamps come up on Ebay (lots of Campy NOS all the time). Years ago I removed the metal clamps from my white '71 Interclub as I was trying to avoid rust from the clamps on the white finish (substituted white wire cable ties) So I dug out and cleaned those up for this frame.

I have the original steel post and Freccia D'Oro (I think I've seen Chas also mention "Torquemada") plastic saddle. I may use them sometimes or at least in photo (trying to keep original components). But this is an old 'Turbo' saddle and alloy Stronglight seatpost (26.4mm) for more realistic comfortable riding at this point, and hoping my spouse will purchase a Brooks saddle for my birthday to get closer to period correct saddle.

I think I saw a post from Chas in the recent weeks in which he described his technique for removing a stuck seatpost. (but--it might have been from Sheldon Brown's site) I do belive that there is a difference in the Diameter of the seat posts on the Interclub seat tube and the TdeF seat tube. I know my Interclub seatposts are a smaller diameter than the TdeF (??? difference of wall thickness on the Reynolds frame tubes).

Oh, Yeh, about the brake cables. I'm left handed---Decades ago, when I was more Kamikaze in my racing days of youth, I switched Rear Brake to my left hand---instinctively I found myself grabbing my left brake lever first in sudden stops. It just seemed like I could control (or sense rear wheel slipping) when I put the power to the front brakeset with my right hand in this configuration. Which is OK for me, but probably scary if someone else rides my bikes and wasn't aware of the switch.

I Like Steel!!!
Re: Yeh, I'm kind of Backward 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Rustedbird
The thing is, I'm right handed and have always ran my cables like yours. God help me if I get on a "normal" bike.
It was on Sheldon's site 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:44 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
The article about stuck seatpost was on Sheldon's Site---probably easiest path is from glossary item "seat post" and links from that topic to Sheldon's '15 ways to remove a stuck seatpost'.

He also has quite a discussion related to Brakes and Braking technique.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:58 pm Reply with quote
cbs
Rustedbird;
The Peugeot PX-10 is legendary, it seems to me that it was a real significant bike, and the late '60s version especially, a definite worthwhile restoration project, glad it found a good owner. All the old books say it's the best.

I checked my Peugeot, it's in the late '70's Peugeot "Racing" catalogue, (There's also a "Touring" catalogue) and described as a:

PKN10E "Competition"
Frame & Fork: Reynolds 531 main tubes, Nervex lugs, Simplex forged rear drop outs, chrome fork crown and ends, brazed-on cage fittings
Handlebar: Atax "Franco-Italia" polished alloy
Rims: Mavic Module E 700C clincher (Note: smooth ultra-narrow time trials installed)
Pedals:Lyotard 45CA alloy rat trap
Crankset: Stronglight "104" alloy cotterless 42 x 52 T drilled chainwheels anodized
Chain: Sedisport
Freewheel: Malliard Atom 77 6-speed, 13-15-17-20-24-28 T
Derailleurs: Simplex SX410TSP "Peugeot" rear; Simplex SJA 102 front; Simplex alloy D/T shifters
Brakes: Weinmann 605 alloy sidepull, drilled levers, full cover hoods, quick release (Note: These levers are georgeous).
Saddle: Gallet no. 33 leather racing w/SR Laprade alloy seat post
Metallic Blue (also avail. pearl white & Black.

The color is about exactly the same as smilingroadrunner's TdF.
Don't ask what I paid for it 5 years ago. Original paint & decals, one size too small frame but I figure it's a keeper. The Interclub's better, though.

Cort Exclamation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:03 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
While I don't mean to be a Nazi, I must object to the last posting. While I will tolerate some mention of other brands here, there are other sites dedicated to other brands.

I don't necessarily disagree with all of the opinions in the last post, but to post something here which suggests that a bike with a lion on the front of it is "the best" is pure heresy!!!

Confessions... From the dark side... 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
verktyg
I have to confess, I have 2 of them or rather 1 and 1/2. One is still just a bare frame. I found a 1988 Chorus model frame built with Reynolds 753. Very rare, I had to have it for my collection.

The other one is the 1967 PX-10 "barn bike" I bought in a fit of ague a few months ago!

I really bought it for components for my late 60s Tour de France but I've taken pity on it's poor soul, cleaned it up and started riding it. Embarassed

Stephan, close your eyes and don't look at the head badge. Twisted Evil

Partially "cleaned up".... It had 20 years of dust and dirt on it.

Chas.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:49 am Reply with quote
cbs
Stephen, et al;
I re-read my post re. the Peugeot discussion that's going on, and (this is the intent of the statement) all the old books say it's the "best "Peugeot. Now I see that this may have been... and was... misinterpreted by viewers that the PX-10 was the best vintage French lightweight ever. Did I say that? (Sure didn't mean that).

Confusion cleared! Let's ride.

CBS

[/i][/u]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:51 am Reply with quote
Rustedbird
I'm here because of my Gitane. I'm looking forward to a ride that doesn't weigh as much as a moped with that French feel. The UE8M is sentimental value only, it only goes out on nice days and not very far.

Seat-post now turns. Still not out yet. Lubricating, banging, swearing and twisting. Did I mention the disturbed neighbors? Sheldon site pretty useful, been there often. Gonna miss him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
All:

Understood...it is all in good fun. Now if someone posts pictures of a "Moser", I WILL go ballistic!

French bikes are the best...and the worst...which makes them the best!

Moser and crew 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Stephan

How about Moser on a Moser leading Lucien Van Impe on a Gitane up a mountain.

They're both trailing Gimondi, Thevenet, Poulidor and Merckx.... Razz

Observe the relaxed look on Le Cannibal's face. Cool

Chas. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Great picture of Van Impe's diminutive Gitane.

Merckx rocked. Moser was a cheat. 'nuff said.

Added an Interclub to my fleet. 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane