gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Full fenders for an early TdF
Full fenders for an early TdF 
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:08 am Reply with quote
citternmaker
Just a quick question to ask if any of y'all have run full fenders (even part-time) on your early TdF -- and if so, can you share any brand preferences (SKS, Planet Bike, Honjo, VO, etc.) or share comments on how well they fit?

Thanks,

Bluemel fenders 
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Plastic Bluemel fenders were the choice back in the day.

Chas.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
lynnef
I bought some VO Fluted ones - they did not fit through the fork crown. Grumble. Lots of room in the brakes though.

The Planet Bike Cascadia fenders fit with some fiddling - I had to file out the rear sliding bracket mounting hole to pull the fenders up - I'm running Specialized Armadillo 28s which makes for a tight fit.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
citternmaker
Thanks Lynne,

Based on Chas' description of the fenders used in the 1970's and after reading your blog and the problems you had trying to mount the metal fenders, I also went with the PB Cascadia's. Compared to my old rigid mountain bike's fenders , the Cascadias are pretty fiddly, but I finally got them mounted and aligned.

While I'm still getting used to way they look and the way the front fender rattles where it's unsupported, I am warming up to them. I'm really glad I bought them first instead of a set of Honjos or VO fenders -- at least I've got some protection now for the new saddle, and they were pretty cheap at the LBS. And you're absolutely right, there's not much clearance under the fork crown. The PB fenders just barely fit in front.

Thanks also for the information about the tires you're running -- I plan to get a second set of wheels built up this summer (clinchers with a dynamo hub in front), and would like to use 28mm tires if they'll fit under the fenders, while keeping the lightweights available for club rides on good days/good roads. I'll also have to do some filing on the plastic rear mount, too -- I was just barely able to get the fenders adjusted with the 23mm tubulars I'm using.

FWIW, here's a shot of what my TdF looked like prior to trimming the fender stays:

Full fenders for an early TdF 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane