gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Gitane Champion
Gitane Champion 
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote
OllallO
I got this bike more than a year ago, but I never paid much attention to it. No one I know could tell me something about the brand, so I thought it's an old cheap bike, not more. But I have to say - I am really clueless about racebike technices Confused

A few weeks before I looked it closer and decided that I want now more about it. So I seached in the internet for it and landed on this site Smile

How far it's original ?
(Is the derailer in the back changed ? )
Has it a value ?
Any special things of this bike?

I don't want to sell it, but I thing a modernization of the chain and the pinion wouldn't injury. The bar tape and the tube for the cabel for the breaks I would change, too. I thougth of making a fixe out of it, or is it too bad about the bike?

Thank You

PS: Sorry for my really bad English, but I'm from Germany ..

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Gtane
Welcome to the site and thanks for posting.

Here's the catalogue link to the model:

http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1985_pg4.jpg

Here's the catalogue link to check the components:

http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1985_pg5.jpg

Personally, I would not go the fixed route as the bike is all there. Keep it original, that's so important. History and future generations will thank us for keeping these bikes together in one piece. If you want to go fixed, look for a Gitane track frame or better still, the complete track bike.

Spruce up the machine and add it to the collection. It looks fine but check frame and fork alignment, the lugs and all mechanics. If OK, then go for a ride and enjoy for years to come.

Tim

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Hi OllallO

Your "Champion" looks very close to original, and in fair condition as well. Although, it does need a good clean.

The handlabar tape has been replaced. Original tape was yellow cloth tape.
The rear derailleur has been replaced, but the Shimano derailleur that you have now should work much better than the original. It's up to you to decide if you want to restore it to original. You should be able to find old SachsHuret derailleurs in Germany.
It looks like the pedals have been replaced too. I think it should have had Malliard pedals with toe clips.
You will need to check the catalogue section for the type of wheels.

NOTE: You should replace the seat post as soon as possible if you ride this bike. The top of the post is non-reinforced plastic, and they have a history of breaking. The size should be 25.8, but it is best to take the old seatpost with you to the bike shop.

Happy riding,
Wisey

ps Your english is fine. We have many non-english speakers on this site. All the Americans, for a start....... Razz Laughing Laughing Laughing

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel
Ocker YOB 
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:54 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Paul Wiseman wrote:
ps Your english is fine. We have many non-english speakers on this site. All the Americans, for a start....... Razz Laughing Laughing Laughing

Don't pay any attention to this Ocker YOB! They utter "s'trallian" down in OZ! Twisted Evil

Chas.
Gitane Champion 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane