gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Leave it to the French...
Leave it to the French... 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:04 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
...to stir up confusion.
While researching rims for a restore I ran upon this...MontHLery, MontLery, and MontLHery, France(all the same place) for which some Mavic rims were designated.

Mavic has MontLery (early?) and MontHLery (later?) rims. See links:
http://www.velobase.com/ViewSingleComponent.aspx?ID=3b6e1f2c-4a34-4b4e-b60b-da050f9de18a
http://www.velobase.com/ViewSingleComponent.aspx?ID=0225ab8b-1733-4e35-9fa1-adc0a9f330e9

Now, the MontLery may have a date code which is what I have on my (thought by me) '72-73 TdF. Turns out I may have a '71-72 TdF because my rims have the code "0771". Hard to see 07 in photo, but you can see the 71.

This may be another way to narrow dating on early, upper tier, Gitanes with their original Mavic rims.

Jay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:42 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Thanks Jay, that's most interesting. I had no idea. Great find. The 71 that you have indicated is certainly very small and could easily be missed.

Tim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
I'd never try to date anything but rims and hubs by the dates on them.

We switched wheels on maybe a third of the bikes we sold. People wanted clinchers on bikes that came with sewups and vice versa. We sold a lot of bikes with 2 sets of wheels - clinchers for around town and commuting plus a set of sewups for weekend rides.

It was rare for us to change the rims on a new set of wheels because we kept racks of built up wheels ready to switch.

Another thing, rims, especially sewup rims were frequently damaged and replaced so there is no telling when these events occurred or how old the replacement rims were.

Another point, European bike makers never used "FIFO" (first in-first out) inventory control on anything. It was not uncommon to get in a new bike with 2-3 year old components. Shocked

Pro model bikes represented less than 5% of all of the bikes sold during the US Bike Boom of the early 1970s. It was not uncommon for these bikes to sit in warehouses or bike shops for several years before someone bought them.

My guess is that Gitane could have kept painted partially assembled frames for their top model bikes. They installed components and model decals appropriate for the different markets where the bikes were shipping to. This is based on seeing pictures of various bike makers plants where they had racks of semi finished bikes ready to assemble.

Chas.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Thanks Chas. You make a very good point. I didn't think about how easy it would be to use the QR to change wheel sets.

Jay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Jay,

Mavic must have made well over a dozen styles of rims with Montlhery in the model name.

BTW, I've always pronounced it Mont-La-Ray...

Here are a few examples:

Chas.
Re: Leave it to the French... 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:14 am Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
greyhundguy wrote:
...to stir up confusion.
While researching rims for a restore I ran upon this...MontHLery, MontLery, and MontLHery, France(all the same place) for which some Mavic rims were designated.

Mavic has MontLery (early?) and MontHLery (later?) rims. See links:
http://www.velobase.com/ViewSingleComponent.aspx?ID=3b6e1f2c-4a34-4b4e-b60b-da050f9de18a
http://www.velobase.com/ViewSingleComponent.aspx?ID=0225ab8b-1733-4e35-9fa1-adc0a9f330e9

Now, the MontLery may have a date code which is what I have on my (thought by me) '72-73 TdF. Turns out I may have a '71-72 TdF because my rims have the code "0771". Hard to see 07 in photo, but you can see the 71.

This may be another way to narrow dating on early, upper tier, Gitanes with their original Mavic rims.

Jay

Crikey! I think I'll go drink another glass of Bordaeux and see if this makes any more sense then......... or was that Bordeaux? no, wait..... Bordeuax? ......... You see Nicolas? This is why Australian reds are better than French reds. No-one will ever misspell Coonawarra! Or is that Coonnawwarra.......................................................? Wink [/b]

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel
Wine, Whine, Wyne. Plunk, Plonk! 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:49 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Wisey,

What's with all the plunk? What about Faastas? Laughing

Chas.
Leave it to the French... 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane