gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » super corsa?
super corsa? 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
g-funk
I bought this bike a while ago. I just accepted that it was a 1970 super corsa. Now I look at this site and don't see any pics of a super corsa with the seat stay caps like this bike has. Full campy with mafac brakes. A bit of history, this bike was given to a local shop by an old man who could no longer ride it. it hung on the wall for years and now it's in my garage. the old man was spanish and said it used to be his son's bike who raced for some top level euro teams.

Rear Stay Seat Caps 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
smilingroadrunner
Welcome to the Gitane USA.com forum Very Happy

Seems like earlier this spring (or possibly late this past winter) Chas had commented on an earlier post of a frame that had R stay caps that were extended and folded over the seat tube lug as your photo suggests. But I don't recall if his comments suggested that particular type of detail ruled out the frame being a Gitane fabrication. Certainly this would seem to be upscale frame and components. Worth further investigation---any possibility to get more info from the previous owner and/or his son. Obvious it had been repainted.
I will say that the detail of the cutouts on the Rear Brake mounting looks like the detail on my '70 TdeF. It is a little unusual that it utilized a seat brake cable holder VS the rear brake cable bridge on pre and early 70's frames. There are some examples on verktyg ("To Cheap to Pass Up") and My ("dating Gitanes") posts to the forum dated Dec 23, '07

I Like Steel !!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:05 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Does it have Campy dropouts?

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:05 pm Reply with quote
g-funk
thanks. this explains the binder bolt cable hanger. everything points to a SC but the caps on the stays. they are really beefy stays too.

Definitely a Super Corsa 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:07 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
This is definitely a late 1960s early 70s Gitane Super Corsa. Both Super Corsa and Tour de France frames came with the willow leaf shaped seatstay caps.

If the brakes say Mafac Dural Forge then it's probably a 1969 or earlier bike. Mafac changed the model name from Dural Forge to Racer after 1969. Later Super Corsas came with Mafac Competition brakes.

Chas.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quote
g-funk
they are dual forge. any other tips to get a better hold on the year. it's a Pat.68 rear derailleur. it has cinelli bars and stem. I'm sure the campy Bar ends were added later.
Super Corsa dating 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
The Dural Forge brakes and the Pat.68 on the Campy rear derailleur suggest that this is a 1968 or 69 model.

Someone cut off the rear brake cable stop bridge from the top of the seat stays. Also, this would have had a Pivo stem and handlebars not Cinelli.

Chas.
super corsa? 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane