PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:26 am Reply with quote
gpl916
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/760193067.html

I saw this on Seattle Craigslist.

Greg
60cm TdF 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:46 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Nice looking bike. It appears to be 60cm frame (23 1/2" nominal) measured center to top the way Gitane did it in those days. The seller lists it as a 21" measured inside the main triangle which is wrong.

My guess is that this is an early 1972 model based on the brake cable stop bridge on the seat stays and the fancy fork crown. Also it has the swaged seat stay tops rather than the brazed on "willow leaf" style seat stay caps used in the pre Bike Boom days.

It has Mafac Competition brakes rather than Racers which would have been found on earlier models. Later models might have had Sugino Mighty cranks which were Campy knockoffs.

Notice the Suntour V rear derailleur. These were frequent replacements for Simplex Delrin derailleurs. Even though they shifted far better than ANYTHING made by Campy until the late 80s, they never got much respect from the vanity set because they were so under priced. They sold for $6 or $7 USD and many people (myself included Embarassed ) considered them to be cheap quality derailleurs even though they worked great.

The Suntour bar end shifters were popular on larger size frames probably because they were easier to reach for taller riders than downtube shifters.

It's in great shape but the seller is asking top dollar even with 2 sets of wheels. A Campy equipped Super Corsa would be worth the $700 USD he's asking. I think that it's worth more like $500-$600 USD, that's what I would offer. A lot of folks in the US are watching their pennies right now. It's a good time to buy, not sell.

Chas.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:28 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
That listing has a great picture of the "cut-off" fork decal. What was the deal with that in the USA?

TdF fork decals 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:28 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Stephan,

I'd never noticed that "feature" on the TdF fork decals until you brought it up when we were helping Greg (Cyclomondo) design the foil decals.

I'd seen those TdF fork decals on a few pre 1974 Interclub forks as well as on one Super Corsa fork so back in the day I had assumed that decals were just standard hype from Gitane rather than exclusively associated with the TdF bikes.

We peeled a lot of them off because because they got scratched in shipping or were starting to lift off by themselves. Same with the foil seat tube stickers.

Maybe the decal maker that Gitane used made a bad batch and the rest was "je ne se qua"... Laughing

Chas.
TDF on Seattle Craigslist 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane