gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Any TdFs without chrome rear stays?
Any TdFs without chrome rear stays? 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Jake
Hey everyone. I picked up a TdF at an estate sale, and it's in rough shape. I want to bring it back to life, but I'm curious about its age. Only clues I can seem to find are a '61' stamped on the head tube, and a four-digit number stamped on the left rear dropout that reads '8821'.
Other details:
I don't actually see the word Gitane anywhere on the bike, just the G on the foil stickers.
Chrome fork (bottom half)
Lyotard pedals, MAFAC center pull brakes, simplex derailleurs, BF(?) stem

And a few crappy pictures are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29206178@N02/?saved=1

Thanks for any help!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:35 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Wow. those are "crappy" pictures! It doesn't appear to be like any Tour de France I have seen (made by Gitane, anyways). But I would hate to hazard a guess based on those pictures....

Mystery frame 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
This is definitely a French made bike but not a Gitane. It looks something like a Jeunet.

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/France/Jeunet.htm

There were dozens of small bike manufacturers producing bikes in France during the late 60s and early 70s. There were also a number private label brands. St. Etienne was a center for bike manufacturing. Everyone wanted to cash in on the Bike Boom which was also happening in France but not as big as in the US. Mylar foil decals were the hot ticket on French bikes from that era.

Chas.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Jake
Ah, thanks for the info/link. I just figured it was a Gitane because of the whole TdF thing, but I suppose it could be just about anything. I'm trying to find out which company used that red G with a wheel/blue circle/chainring sorta thing behind it as a logo, but I'm not really finding anything. The same logo is on the fork, it's only somewhat clear in the seat tube picture.

Other clues: Head tube front decal is yellow and says champion du monde with 6 different countries' flags on it. Downtube decal says champion du monde with the world champ colored stripes. Brakes are MAFAC racers, cottered cranks say voitos(?) on the arms, vero where the arms connect.

Anyway, I'll try to borrow a camera for some better pictures. Is there another not-so-brand-specific site where I might have more luck?
Guessing the make? 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Jake,

The "Tour de France" foil decal is the same style used by Jeunet in those days. There doesn't seem to be a brand name on the frame which leads me to believe that it was private labled for a wholesaler/importer or a large retailer.

The 61 on the lug is the angle. If you look carefully you will find a 71, 72 or 73 on the other lugs indicating their angles too.

Check out the Classic Rendezvous site:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/

If you join their group you can post your information there and someone can probably come up with an ID for you.

Good luck,

Chas.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:33 am Reply with quote
Jake
Thanks a lot!
Any TdFs without chrome rear stays? 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane