gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Tandem restoration update...
Tandem restoration update... 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:46 pm Reply with quote
thebuddhist
I stripped the entire bike over the last week. Had to have 1 bb cup removed at the LBS. Used some car polish on the frame to take off oxidized paint and then put a couple coats of carnuba wax on. Looks as good as it's going to, paint has more than it's fair share of scratches unfortunately.

Ordered $150 worth of parts. Putting some bullhorns with natural cork and bar end brakes (Cane Creek 200TT) on the front. Found two cottered spindles that actually match the dimensions I need. One from yellowjersey.org and one on ebay. Given the limited selection of 27" tires I went with Vredestein Perfect Moiree with a reflective striped sidewall. Sheldon's bike shop had NOS cables made for the Huret shifters.

Still need to do some serious degreasing of parts, likely get new chains, get the wheels trued, have some parts stripped and rechromed and then begin re-assy.

Undecided on rear bars and brake lever but probably something comfortable with cork grips and a tektro bmx lever.

Also haven't decided if I want to hook up the rear rim brake or the rear drum brake to the captain's position, any thoughts? I was thinking rear drum for captain and the rear rim for the stoker. Or just forgo the rear rim brake altogether?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:50 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Cool project. Can't wait to see the results.

Tandem restoration update... 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane