gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Need help identifying a mid 80's Gitane Goto page Previous  1, 2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:51 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Peter S. Horn wrote:

I felt that the Victory gruppo was a fine one. Shifting (non-indexed) was as sure as tomorrow's sunrise. Please notice, however; I'm steering clear (for now) of the Campag./Simplex/Shimano debate! I did not know that Victory was intended to replace Nuovo Record until so advised by Chas. The Victory gruppo was probaby at least one half pound heavier than C-Record, you do, after all, get what you pay for!

A can of Pabst please.

Victory was positioned to replace Nuovo Record and C-Record, Super Record so that would account for the weight difference. I don't know what the weight difference is between C-Record and SR? Anyway, the plan never caught on.

I happen to like the design of the Victory and Triomphe cranks. After looking at 25+ years of Campy cranks and look alike knockoffs the geometric shapes of these chainrings are a pleasant change. In addition, you could get down to a 35 tooth small chainring.

I rode 49/45 1/2 step gears from 1975 until recently. Now I have "compact" gearing on most of my bikes - 50/36 or 38T chainrings. Here in the Bay Area I'm too old to push 50" gears up the hills. Shocked

The Campy Syncho shifters were terrible. I have a 1988 Bianchi that I picked up off of eBay last summer. It came with a complete Victory gruppo and probably had less than 50 miles on it.

I couldn't get the Synchro shifter to work in either index or friction mode so I got a set of NOS Synchro II shifters on eBay. They wouldn't index properly either even with all of the recommended components. I ended up pulling the guts out of the right side shift lever and converting it to permanent friction shifting.

BTW, make mine a Marzen from Hubsch Sudwerk Privatbrauerei Laughing

Chas. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Peter S. Horn
Embarassed
Stephan,
Re the query on the Inter frame; nothing in particular. I just thought that you might decide, at some point, to build it up and put it on the road.
Bienvenue,
Peter H.
Sacramento
Off Topic 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Daniel,

Your avatar is really fascinating. Who's picture is that?

Chas.
Re: Good time to buy 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Gtane
verktyg wrote:
Tim,

In the US, inventory is taxed as profit so businesses that are on a January 1 through December 31 tax year usually have inventory reduction sales every year at the end of December.

Chas.

Thanks Chas for the detail.

This (above) is an interesting point that I had not appreciated. The management of stock must therefore be quite a skill, particularly where stock is not on consignment.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:04 am Reply with quote
lofter
i dont see a number peg .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:12 am Reply with quote
dangit
Wow, quite a lot of information to absorb. Thanks for all the details.

verktyg wrote:
Daniel,

Your avatar is really fascinating. Who's picture is that?

Chas.

The image is a cropped version of a photo by Jason Levesque and illustrator and photographer. Some of his photos are probably NSFW so I'd suggest searching for his stuff via google or flickr. Wink

lofter wrote:
I dont see a number peg.

You're right, there is no number peg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:56 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Daniel: Are you German or American or both? For a German, your English is perfect. Like I said earlier, I have a bunch of relatives in Hessen...right near where you live...have been to Kassel a bunch. Just curious.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:16 am Reply with quote
dangit
sandranian wrote:
Daniel: Are you German or American or both? For a German, your English is perfect. Like I said earlier, I have a bunch of relatives in Hessen...right near where you live...have been to Kassel a bunch. Just curious.

I'm German but I've had quite a lot of exposure to English. I stayed in Lebanon, IN for a year visiting the local high school. I am actually not from Hessen but from Schleswig-Holstein. I moved to Kassel because of the university. It is nice in this part of Germany but I miss the sea.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:13 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
My brother married a Berlinerin. She had spent time as an exchange student in the US, and he met her while he was living for a year in Berlin. They live in the US now, and speak only German with their kids. All of us live in Southern California, right near the ocean, so I understand what you mean!

Need help identifying a mid 80's Gitane 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane