gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » eBay TdF
eBay TdF 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:05 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
I don't need another Match Blue TdF...so I'm not bidding.
eBay 310093197932

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:39 am Reply with quote
verktyg
That's an interesting frame. Even though it has Campy rear dropouts it's probably a Tour de France because it has a Stronglight P3 headset and what look like Stronglight BB cups.

Why some TdFs came with Campy dropouts instead of Simplex? My guess is that either Gitane ran out of Simplex dropouts and substituted Campys or more likely that they had Super Corsa frames already built and needed TdFs instead so the shortened the steering tubes on the forks to fit the P3 headsets and sold them as TdFs.

The "stack height" for a Stronglight P3 headset is about 32mm whereas Campy headsets are around 42mm. The steering tubes on TdF forks are about 10mm shorter than those on Super Corsa forks.

In those days the average buyers of sporting bikes were in their teens or early 20s. "Pro" quality bikes were a real luxury. Not many buyers could afford to lay out more than $100-$150 USD for a BICYCLE!

Gitane sold far more Tour de France bikes than Super Corsas. Campy equipped bikes were a real luxury. Almost every European bike manufacturer made a few of them, probably more for advertising image than for projected sales.

By 1975 the US Bike Boom had ended and many people who bought entry level bikes in the early 70s where looking to move up to better quality models. A full Campy bike became a status symbol as the market changed and more expensive bikes became available.

Between the mid 1960s and early 1980s there was probably far less than a 100,000 "professional" quality bikes or frames imported into the US. Many of those became Toyotas or Hyundais long ago or have turned into rust buckets waiting for that final ride to Asia. Crying or Very sad

That's why I get upset when I see some idiot butcher a classic frame to turn it into a fixie! Evil or Very Mad

Chas.
Going, going,... 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:30 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
...gone. WOW somebody used "Buy it Now"

Jay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:36 am Reply with quote
verktyg
Funny, I didn't notice a "Buy It Now" price in the original listing. If it were a 54cm or 57cm I would have jumped all over it.

Chas.
Plus parts... 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
I wonder if the Buyer is going to spend $500+ to get it back to Original component specs. ?

Jay

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane