gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Sewups vs. Clinchers...and other stuff
Sewups vs. Clinchers...and other stuff 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:24 pm Reply with quote
grumpyphil
RAMBLE ALERT!
Reading the Tubular thread has been really instructive and at least somewhat enlightening for a guy who has come back to cycling after 45 yrs (don't ask). I think somewhere I mentioned that I've been thinking about switching over to sewups because I have kinda hated the ride, the weight and just about everything else about them. That may STILL happen but I recently made a tire switch that has given me some pause. When I bought my bike, I asked to have whatever was as close to bulletproof as possible put on it as I'm riding mostly in Brooklyn. What I got was Conti GP 4 Seasons. Bulletproof they ain't. In 3000 miles, I had 6 flats and and had to scrap one for a sidewall tear. Most of this happened early on in that 3000 miles and it could be just bad luck because lets face it, one place where luck plays a role, is tires. Luck, good or bad, I can deal with but the feel of them really sucked in my estimation. A couple weeks ago, I switched over to Michelin Pro 3 Race, and I have to say, I'm now thinking maybe these clincher thingies ain't so facoccta afterall. I've got about 500 miles on 'em now, and so far so good. Most important is they FEEL nice.
It's kinda difficult coming back to this sport after all these years...I have these things (preconceptions?) of what things should be like and what I remember them as. Sometimes I feel like my (flawed?) remembrances get in the way of reality and other times, I just KNOW you squirts don't know yer arses from yer elbows. Take that nasty red/brown goo Clement glue for instance...I don't know WHAT the HELL you guys are talkin about! I've front flatted at 60mph in the mountains of S. Calif. and never rolled a tire. I can't believe it doesn't exist anymore. That alone has me thinking twice about going back to sewups (I HATE the term "tubular"...somethin' about it makes me want to puke). OTOH- I HAVE noticed that the pros don't use these clincher things and team cars or no, you can damn well bet they ain't going to let these highly paid little princes get hurt by rolling tires so maybe a little investigation will find the glue of choice.
I hope I can figure this out....I really want to build a couple sets of wheels this Winter.
GRUMPY[/b]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:22 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Grumpy,

This has to be one of the beauties of cycling.

Over the years I have found that much of the machine is down to personal choice and what works for the Pros does work for the non Pro in many situations and cases. However, as you say, the Pros have support vehicles following to replace and, even though they are working to a budget, still have few cost limitations regards replacements compared to me.

I adore tubs and have never had one roll. For those who have not done it, there is an art to sticking tubs to the rims and the using of the right glue but so much is again down to personal choice and the way it's done. You can have a recipe for a Victoria sponge, give it to ten people and each cake will look and taste completely different. Why? Well, everyone has their own touch and feel. That's just the way it is.

Tyres and wheels are a big area of the bike, second in importance to the frame. For wheels there is the weight of the rider, the type or tyre, the type of grip, the width, spokes, rims, just so many variables but at the end of the day it's really down to personal choice after research, and for the Pros, it is usually sponsorship.

It's hard to say what one should go for but if you're going for two sets of wheels, my thought would be one high pressure set and the other tubs, to give a balance. I agree about cements and the Pros (perhaps Chas might be able to help us here). As I constantly remind myself, Pro teams do things professionally, for their living, I don't, but if I can get to somewhere within their levels of what I would hope to be very good quality controls, then I'm happy. The only instance that I have seen in recent years of a tub rolling was Joseba Beloki when he slid while ahead of Armstrong and his, now legendary, diversion across a ploughed field in 2003. This brings me on the the next point of cyclo cross. Many (virtually all actually) top cyclo cross riders used and still do use tubs but there are very few rolling instances. You also don't hear of, or see, tubs rolling in the Classics but there are many flats.

It's highly likely that even at Pro level all teams will differ when making Victoria sponge, but the results will be closer than those who don't do it every day of the week.

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:07 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Tim,

I did a Google search on "Victoria Sponge" for the benefit of us Yanks and here's what I came up with:

Quote:
"The Victoria sponge cake was named after Queen Victoria, who favoured a slice of the sponge cake with her afternoon tea. A traditional Victoria sponge consists of jam and whipped cream sandwiched between two sponge cakes; the top of the cake is not iced or decorated. But there is also a lemon filling option. A Victoria sponge is made in two main ways...." Wink

Getting back to Grumpy's topic, I don't think that I would have the courage to ride sewups anywhere around NYC or most other big US city. Confused

Having 2 sets of wheels is a nice option. I reserve my sewup rides to areas where there is a lower possibility of getting a flat. That includes putting the bike in the car and driving to another location.

Chas.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:40 am Reply with quote
Gtane
LOL Chas. You're absolutely right.

It's a great cake if you get the chance to make it.

Tim

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:18 am Reply with quote
verktyg
"Let them eat cake!" Laughing

Chas.
Re: Victoria Sponge 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:02 pm Reply with quote
grumpyphil
verktyg wrote:
Tim,

I did a Google search on "Victoria Sponge" for the benefit of us Yanks and here's what I came up with:

Quote:
"The Victoria sponge cake was named after Queen Victoria, who favoured a slice of the sponge cake with her afternoon tea. A traditional Victoria sponge consists of jam and whipped cream sandwiched between two sponge cakes; the top of the cake is not iced or decorated. But there is also a lemon filling option. A Victoria sponge is made in two main ways...." Wink

Getting back to Grumpy's topic, I don't think that I would have the courage to ride sewups anywhere around NYC or most other big US city. Confused

Having 2 sets of wheels is a nice option. I reserve my sewup rides to areas where there is a lower possibility of getting a flat. That includes putting the bike in the car and driving to another location.

Chas.

But But But...WHY??? People rode sewups EVERYWHERE when I was 15 ( I admit that WAS a LOOOONG time ago). We rode them in San Diego where I grew up and I can assure you, there were plenty of drunks throwing bottles outta car windows then as now. And just as many stickers and thorns and for all I know, those dreaded "goathead" things Charles has mentioned. NYC, and specifically Brooklyn, is no worse than anyplace I've been. I had 3 flats this year in 3400 miles. One of them happened in more or less pristine Piermont, NY, which, along with Nyack just up the road, is a cycling destination for those of us in the NYC area. The other 2 happened in Prospect Park, an area that is about as clean as you will find anywhere.
Personally, I believe the same thing I always believed about flats...it's just dumb luck. If you've got tires inflated with air, sooner or later you're gonna get a flat. You may get 3 in 3 miles and then not another for 10,000 but you're gonna get 'em.
Alla that aside...I'm so impressed with these new tires I got, I'm thinking maybe all you fellers are right...clinchers maybe ain't so bad after all! thinkin' is a lighter set of hoops would make an even BIGGER difference. I've got Mavic open pro's. Anybody got an opinion? There's so much hype out there in the cycling press it's pretty hard to get anything like a clear picture of reality for someone who doesn't spend his days cruising at 42 Kph.
Grumpy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Gtane
Grumpy,

They're not bad at all, high pressures. I ride both and take whatever I need for the ride with whatever I have on the bike of the moment. When it all boils down to it, and all is said and done, I'm really not fussed what I'm riding so long as the things are not perished. Just getting out on the bike to enjoy the moment is always my goal.

In my experience there is a difference between the two tyre types and I've been fortunate so far with few punctures when using tubs. Like you Grumpy, I very much like the old stuff and the ways of doing things, and that's probably because that's what I've grown up with as well as what I know. That can only be natural. I also like to move forward too to try out new equipment to compare against previous but I can sometimes find it hard to let go. I always say to myself, 'embrace the past and look to the future because change is guaranteed'.

At this moment in time we have many road holes in the UK that can seriously tear up the tyres and wheels. This is my biggest concern when riding. Night riding can be very hazardous indeed while the roads are not as good as they once were.

I do have a pair of Open Pros on Record hubs (photo below). My opinion - cracking and a gorgeous ride.

I'm yet to be convinced by the tubeless developments.

Tim

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane