gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » circa '77 Super Corsa
circa '77 Super Corsa 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
fish
Aloha from Hawai'i - I just rescued what looks like a Gitane Super Corsa (I've emailed Stephane and he thinks it is) from a slow death underneath a house.

Pictures here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/morefishtacos/77GitaneSuperCorsa?feat=directlink

Unfortunately it's too small for me - 53cm - so I'd like to find it a new home where it will be loved and ridden. I'd rather find some one here who really digs Gitanes, though if no one here wants it, I'll put it up on eBay. Does anyone have an idea of what it's worth?

All the dropouts and the BB shell are Campy, as is the headset. There are paint chips and some minor rust in various places. It's by no means mint, but structurally it's very good. And, the gold paint looks fantastic with the chrome.

Thanks for the fantastic site - you guys are doing a great job!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:06 pm Reply with quote
fish
Just re-read the rules - forgot to sign off with a name!

Andrew Dunne
Maui, Hawai'i

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Andrew,
I suspect a EARLY 70's Super Corsa...sadly way too small for me. Some of the Shorter Wink folks on the list may be interested though.
Thanks for offering it to the List first.
Jay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:42 pm Reply with quote
fish
The original owner said he built it up in 1977, so the frame may be older. Any information on that would be greatly appreciated!

It was built up with Nuovo Record rear der., shifters, brakes and levers, seatpost, and rear hub, Suntour Cyclone front der., Dura Ace cranks on a Dura Ace spindle in the Campy BB shell (?!?), and Cinelli Campione del Mondo bars.

I can post more pics if that helps identification.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Andrew,
Are you selling it as a complete bike or just the Frame? The Campagnolo parts are proper for the SC. The odd thing is that with the braze on brake guide, on the rear stays below the seat cluster, suggests it originally came with Mafac 'Competion' center pull brakes. Campy brakes are a nice upgrade. It also would have had a Campy 'Record' Crankset and front derailleur. Again, I suspect 1970-73 for the frame.
Jay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Andrew,
Just to clarify, early SC's were also available with Campy brakes, but the braze on guide would not have been present on those frames.
Jay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
fish
I'll sell just the frameset, or the frameset with any combo of the components. I'll upload pics of the components as I get them clean.

The original owner said he built up the frame, so he may have started with a bare frame, or it may have come with some of the components already, I really don't know. He was having a hard time remembering that far back, too. I'd believe early 70s for the frame.

The Dura Ace cranks will definitely go on eBay if someone doesn't want them with the frame. I already have to keep them out on the porch so they don't contaminate any of my Campy stuff. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Andrew,
'nother clarification, what I called a 'brake guide' is more properly called a 'bridge'.
On this Site it is proper to state a selling price if it is your intent to offer it to list members. Fishing for prices is frowned upon. Hopefully you understand.
Jay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
scozim
Wow - love the color and it's my size even. Too bad I can't fit it in the budget, though. I'm sure someone here will buy it from you.

Scott

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:15 pm Reply with quote
fish
greyhundguy, thanks for the clarification on price "fishing". I really don't know what it's worth, and I didn't want to post it for too much and look like a rip-off artist, or too little and look like a sucker. After driving halfway around the island, fishing it out from under the guy's house, paying for it, disassembling it and cleaning it off to make sure it wasn't ruined (and it was FILTHY), I don't want to give it away, but I do want it to go to a good home.

I'll say $150 +shipping for the frame, fork, campy headset and bottom bracket cups and bearings, just to set a starting point. Again, I have no idea if that's ludicrously high/low, or reasonable, I'd just prefer whoever ends up with it to be stoked.

Andrew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:30 pm Reply with quote
scozim
Ok, so if it's got a Campy BB and headset were they French thread? I'm assuming if it's an early 70's model they would be.

Scott

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com
Interested. 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
I'm interested. It's a 54cm center to top frame which is at the bottom of my frame size. I had a 1972 or 73 57cm gold frame like this back in the day,

Chas.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:14 am Reply with quote
fish
Scott - the BB is definitely French thread; cups are marked "35 x 1". Not sure about the headset, but I would assume so?

Chas - Seat tube is 54cm Center to Top, 52cm Center to Center, and 54cm Center to Center Top Tube.

I never would have thought I'd like a gold bike, but this frame completely opened my mind - what a great color!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:54 am Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Andrew,
Should you work something out with Chas., you can feel secure that it is going to a good home/stable. I know Chas. will respect it and do it justice. Super Corsas deserve it.

Jay...wishing it could be stretched to 58-60cm

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane