gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » Looks like it's time to go derailleur shopping
Looks like it's time to go derailleur shopping 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
citternmaker
We had an absolutely beautiful day for a ride in Fort Worth today. Unfortunately my '72 TdF had to stay indoors, since the pivot bolt threads in the cage on my modified Crane rear derailleur stripped out last night while I was riding rollers. Bummer. That derailleur had been with me through thick and thin for almost 30 years.

I guess it's either time to scrounge on Ebay for a Simplex replacement, find another model to modify, or head out to the shop to make a new part for the old cage.

It may also be time to pick up one of the cheap simplex SX100's from Velo-Orange, just so I can have a spare for such occasions....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
citternmaker
...just a quick update...I found a quick fix that I know won't last long, but it'll at least get me a few more miles on the old derailleur. This will probably need to go in the "don't try this at home" folder, but I just remembered that when I was a template maker in the early 1980's we used to peen holes smaller when a hole needed to be relocated and a welder couldn't be found at their station.

So...figuring the cage was toast anyway, I peened lightly around the circumference of the pivot hole on both sides with a ball pein and an anvil, then chased the threads with a tap. It's all back together (for now), tight, and shifting smoothly.... I'm almost certain that work-hardening from peening will eventually cause stress fractures in the old aluminum cage, and it will fall apart again. Hopefully, it will last until I've bought a replacement/backup, or have made a new cage.

Shimano Crane Deraileurs 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
verktyg
It's good to hear that your were able to "jury rig" your Shimano derailleur. Shimano Cranes were nice derailleurs. I have a short version on my 1983 Colnago and an NOS long arm one on the shelf.

They shifted better than almost all of the other derailleurs of that period. There's at least five of them listed on eBay right now:

http://tinyurl.com/8dwu7m

Chas.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:09 am Reply with quote
citternmaker
Thanks Chas,

I'm bidding on one of those right now ....(fingers crossed).

Looks like it's time to go derailleur shopping 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane