gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » I wonder if someone will spring for it... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Stephan,

Here's the link to the Hinault bike, in the French museum.

http://www.museedusport.jeunesse-sports.gouv.fr/histoire_objet.php

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
verktyg
It's already on it's way to Japan. It'll never see the light of day again! There's already a spot prepared for it in the dark confines of the wank alter at someone's bicycle temple! Twisted Evil

The Japanese destroyed the European camera industry through innovative developments and aggressive marketing (namely Lieca and Contax). Then they scoured the planet to collect every one of these older cameras they could find driving prices through the ceiling! Mad

Later they just about destroyed the European bicycle industry the same way. Now they're doing the same thing with bicycles and components.

Collect the bones of the vanquished! Crying or Very sad

Chas. The Conquerer!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Tim gets bonus points for finding that link, which should answer most questions about why that bike is significant. We still need the link to the video....

Chas gets bonus points for being paranoid and reactionary. He loses points for being anti-free market and isolationist. So he is even at the end of the day! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
grumpyphil
sandranian wrote:
Grumpyphil:

I encourage alternative view points. I don't mind it at all, and don't feel like anyone here would be insulted....but:

"Ugly" is subjective.

Sure, there are better finished bicycles. I don't doubt that for a second, and quite frankly, it is admitted over and over again on the website itself. Gitane was not the "Gucci" of bicycles: It was a blue collar bike, purpose built for the not-so-finished roads of France. Think of it perhaps as a Pabst Blue Ribbon to other people's micro-brews.

However, the place that the bike holds in the history of TT bikes is undeniable. That was one of the first frames to be designed with aerodynamics in mind, which came about as a direct result of Gitane being purchased by Renault. The designers had access to a wind tunnel, and they began using it. I am unaware of any other major bike manufacturer at the time who used wind tunnels to design a bike.

So while it may be ugly to you, it is definitely a collectible and deserves a place in any cycling collection. In fact, it is well above any Masi, Confente, Cinelli (insert other Italian/craft bike here) of similar vintage as far as the history of racing machines is concerned.

The finish, and arguably the ride, may be better than the Gitane. But historically this was revolutionary and therefore significant. Beautifully finished lugs and clearcoat anyone* can do.

*An exaggeration to make a point, to be sure!

I guess I never mentioned to you you guys how much I love to stir the pot Laughing
Gitane Profil 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
alex
As the seller of the bike in question I thought I might contribute something. I've visited the site and the forum a number of times in the past, without contributing.

As far as I can make out, if you look at the team aero bikes, supposing there was a support bike for each team member, that makes 20 bikes in 1981, 20 bikes in 1982.

That's pretty small figures...

There must also have been non-team Gitane Profil, like this one http://www.speedbicycles.ch/288/index.html, without the braze-on for number plaque and without racer name (am I right in thinking that bike is a 1980 model cf serial number?) . I guess they were sold in limited numbers to semi-pro riders, but how many is anyone's guess..

Concerning the first post, beauty is to some extent a subjective notion, quality isn't. I mainly have cyclotouring bikes like Herse etc, and my interest is first in the quality of the finish, then in the quality of the design. Bad paint, poor brazing, unfiled lugs, any form of rough workmanship, are not what I'm looking for.

To my eyes the Gitane Profil is beautiful because of the quality of the finish : Rare and beautiful top of the line components, nice workmanship, it's really a hand-made, low production number, time consuming to make, superbly finished machine. Great skill went into making these bikes.

And the design is totally revolutionary.

Given the rarity (unquestionable), quality (unquestionable), beauty (debatable) and design interest (unquestionable), I think it's a low start price...

But I fix the price according to my personal criteria, and it may not sell at that price. If it doesn't, I'll be really happy to keep it for a while.

Alex

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Alex:

Thanks for joining us here. Personally, I believe that the bike you have is certainly significant (see my earlier posts).

As with all things, what the bike is worth monetarily is what someone will pay for it. If it sells for over $6K, then it is worth that. If not, well then I guess it isn't. People write to me all the time to ask what their bikes are "worth", and it really is difficult to give a precise answer. I usually predicate my response with a disclaimer regarding the free-market system!

But I don't believe that what people pay is truly what an item is worth. I have bikes which I cannot bear to sell, because they are worth way more to me than I could ever get for them.

Good luck on the auction. If you have additional pics of some of your other Gitanes, we would love to see them!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Alex,
Welcome. In my opinion, your view of this bike is "Correct". Not a bike made for the consumption and abuse of the Public. A "Special" piece of Gitane History.

Stephan,
I hope you will request permission from Alex to use his photos on the GitaneUSA site. They deserve to be archived.

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
alex
The photos are of course there to be shared, feel free to copy them

Alex

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:07 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
Alex,
Thank you.

Stephan,
Consider under "MODELS" on the home page a listing for "Historical Bikes" or "Innovations".

Jay

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
lofter
alex welcome , hope you stay around the forums. im sure you have a little more knowledge about some of the team bikes than some of us do. ok im going to ask the question that i know wil get asked, have you ever seen a delta tt bike in person and for sale or know where one is at? thanks for your comments ....don

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
lofter
grumpyphil wrote:

I guess I never mentioned to you you guys how much I love to stir the pot Laughing

your a bad man phil ,bad man!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote
greyhundguy
I hope all of you are finding all of the TRUE Innovations on this Bike.

Simply, Jay...not so Simply, Gitane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Hi Alex

Thanks for sharing the pics of your bike. It's a wonderful addition to this site. Best of luck with the auction. 6K? If I had it to spare, I would certainly consider it, but alas I don't. If I did own such a specimen, then like Stephan I would not be parting with it for any amount. So here's to a buyer with a love for gitanes and a spare 6K.

If you have time before it's sold, would you be so kind as to take some close up photos of the joints of the different tubes so that we can get a better look at the construction techniques? There is still a lot of mystery surrounding this model.

Cheers,
Wisey

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:32 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Alex,

Welcome from me too and thank you for the extra information, as well as your kind permission for us to be able to continue to view the images.

You have a wonderful bike that was full of innovation and inspiration for the time. Even today it's a machine that would hold up well in any time trial.

It's very special to be able to get up close to these ex pro machines because they represent so much, more that just a bike.

Every success with the sale.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:02 am Reply with quote
alex
Hello everyone,

I can take photos of the lugs without too much trouble cos the bike is still against the photo screen, but first, have you clicked twice on the web photos (the link) to supersize, this normally gives good detail?

I'll have to disappoint on the other points, I'm no Gitane expert, the little I know is from the Gitane USA site. Pity that every make doesn't have a dedicated site.... It just takes one person like Stephan who loves bikes and is not scared of the homework...

This is the first time ever I have bought an 80s bike, it just looked so special I couldn't let it past... I was actually wondering, did this bike originally have the brake behind the fork? Period photos of Hinault show both variants.

I've seen three Gitane Profil in the flesh, including this one, but never the Delta version... If I ever did I'd report back immediately to the forum... But I'd first wave some money at the owner just in case he wanted to sell it to me.

Alex
I wonder if someone will spring for it... 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane