gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » tandem fork replacement
tandem fork replacement 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Ben
hey,
i have a gitane tandem, it looks like the photos of the '83 and '84 Rallye in the old catalogs on this site. it's a Reynolds steel frame. i think 501 tubing. the fork is 501 for sure but the frame sticker is a bit beat up. the serial number is 49070 C. it looks like it was purchased at Avenue Cyclery in San Francisco (has their stickers, i purchased it off craigslist). i've had it for a few years but recently managed to bust the fork and i'm looking to replace it. does anyone have any suggestions on who might have a replacement fork? it has cantilever brakes and 700c wheels. if not, would anyone possibly know (or know where to find) info on the headset and fork? does anyone know if i need a fork with special french sizing?

any help would be much appreciated!

ben
New Fork 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Ben, welcome to the forum.

Can you post some pictures of the tandem and the fork?

Tandems usually use heavier duty fork blades than single bikes plus a lot of them have heavy duty headsets, 30mm, 1 1/8" and even 1 1/4" sizes.

The chances of finding a replacement tandem fork are somewhere between slim and nil. Crying or Very sad

Where are you located? If you are in the Bay Area, I can recommend several frame builders who can repair your old fork or build you a new one.

Chas.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Ben
thanks Chas,

i'm in davis, ca

i've already contacted Kimo Tanaka of innerlight cycles, just trying to collect any info anyone might have to see if i could replace it myself. of course, replacing things myself is how i got into this mess in the first place so maybe i should leave it to the pros. but that's no fun Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Ben...thanks for posting here. Chas is "the guy" when it comes to the technical stuff on old Gitane's.

Where in Davis do you live? I went to UC Davis (early 1990's) and lived in a fraternity house on Russell Blvd (Chi Phi). I loved Davis...hopefully I can get back up there for Picnic Day this year!

Fork repair 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Ben,

What happened to the fork? What's broken?

For starters I'd recommend Ed Litton in Richmond, CA. He can repair your fork if possible or build a replacement. It wont be cheap and it wont be fast. That goes for most of the other good frame builders

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/Ed_Litton.htm

Get back if these doesn't work for you.

Chas.
tandem fork replacement 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane