gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » brrrrrrrr! Goto page Previous  1, 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:31 pm Reply with quote
scozim
Ok, you southern U.S. guys that can't stand the 50's and 60's F temps really crack me up. I can remember driving down the freeway outside of Orlando in a convertible, in February with the top down (temps in the 50's) and having a blast while the seniors in their Buick's passed us with the windows up, heater on and hat and gloves also.

Lofter - we had your super cold temps in December and it drove me nuts not being able to ride - especially when it was followed by a lot of snow. Followed by the severe flooding last week and it's been an interesting winter to say the least.

The good news is I did get out this past week for a couple of rides in temps around the mid-40's (7-8 C) but with god awful 20+ mph (32 km) winds that were demoralizing.

Plus many more
http://eburgcycling.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:24 am Reply with quote
bultaco34
disclaimer: my previous post was supposed to be sarcastic & funny. It was
not meant to be factual nor represent any group from the south.

and now i think i will go for a drive thru orlando in my convertible....wait a minute, i dont have a convertible....im from the south, i have a pick-up!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:50 am Reply with quote
scozim
bultaco34 wrote:
disclaimer: my previous post was supposed to be sarcastic & funny. It was
not meant to be factual nor represent any group from the south.

and now i think i will go for a drive thru orlando in my convertible....wait a minute, i dont have a convertible....im from the south, i have a pick-up!!

Oh, I know - the sarcasm was clear. It's still funny, though. I can only dream of living in a place where year round riding is a possibilty - maybe when I retire.

Plus many more

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:51 am Reply with quote
bultaco34
Scozim, I see your from the great northwest. I'm originally from florida, but lived out west in Long Beach Ca. and Gardnerville, Nv (lots of snow).
I know you all are having a rough winter in that part of the country.

Funny,you talk about moving down here & my wife and i always talk about moving back out west again possibly around Seattle area. Of course the housing market put a hold on that for a while.....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:01 pm Reply with quote
scozim
It's beautiful here and I love living in the NW. But, after this winter I can truly understand why folks head south for the winter (probably following the birds).

Scott

Plus many more
A New Yawker's favorite wine... 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
In the winter a New Yawker's favorite wine... "Take me to My-yammee..." Laughing

When I lived in New Mexico we could ride all but a few weeks a year. The average altitude in Albuquerque is 5,700 feet (1700m). Since the state is located at the Bottom end of the Rocky Mountains extreme winter weather is not uncommon. The lowest altitude in NM is 2,840 feet (865m) which is on the border with Texas, that state's highest point. Razz

One year I went back East to visit family over Christmas-New Years. It was -30°F (-34°C) with a foot of snow on the ground when I left. I returned 3 weeks later, it was still -30° and the snow hadn't melted!

Since I hadn't been on a bike for weeks I was anxious to get back in the saddle. I had a pair of Clement Neve tubular snow tires that someone gave me - like cyclo-cross but with a very soft thread.

My street had a slight downhill slope. I took out the door, hit the snow covered street and realized that these tires were useless on hard packed snow and ice, so were my brakes and cleated cycling shoes! Shocked

I finally got stopped at the bottom of the hill and carried the bike back home, slipping and sliding all the way! Sad

It took me a year to get used to the altitude. After that, going up as high as 13,000 feet (3900m) didn't bother me. Nor did the summer heat after I got acclimated. In 100° weather, any ride is a 3 H2O bottle ride! Confused

It was "dry heat"! After a summer ride our faces were caked with salt, so were our helmet straps and jerseys.

I've become a candy-ass in my old age. I DON'T ride in weather under 50°F nor when it's raining which totals out to about 2 months a year here in NorCal.

Chas.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Paul Wiseman
Not sure if anyone here reads this site:

http://www.yehudamoon.com/index.php?date=2009-01-17

If not, go back to the beginning and read the whole lot. It's a great laugh.

1985 Defi
1985 Victoire
1985 Victoire (yes, another one!)
1985 Professionnel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote
scozim
It's in my favorites now - that's hilarious.

Plus many more
brrrrrrrr! 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane