gitaneusa.com Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane » 1957 Gitane on Ebay Goto page 1, 2  Next
1957 Gitane on Ebay 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:31 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Just spotted this lovely looking machine on Ebay. 1957 Gitane, as advertised.

http://tinyurl.com/bayc5d

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote
steveh1
Does anyone have an opinion one way or the other whether this bike is really from 1957? To me, the equipment looks more modern than that. Any ideas?

Thx,
Steve
Seattle, WA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Don't know about the age, however the shift levers appear to be the Campagnolo "Open C" levers, which were discontinued in 1958.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Gtane
Steve,

I couldn't say for sure, perhaps other experience here can help, but the frame certainly has the look of a machine that has the patina of time from its original state. The GS rear changer, the stem, the hubs with the straight QR lever, the levers, as Stephan says, are all clues. Not sure about the brake calipers, possibly later, but overall it's certainly a gorgeous machine.

Might be worth contacting the seller as they mention that it was their grandfathers, so perhaps there is further detail to be gained.

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Holger
first its really a desireable bike with all the fancy campa stuff.

But i dont believe its 57 ,just because of the fact that Mr.Anquetil started
riding on Gitane in the 60s. And i dont understand why Gitane should equipe a bike with the decal-logo from a rider of a rival team?
The decals to me are also not 50s. The artwork is quite similar to my
60s bike.

anyway as i said,to me its really a desireable bike i like to have, but i wont bid on it, cause i have to spare money i just subscribe the l`eroica
that year in october after a bad cycling year i had to go to Italy again.

Maybe see some of you people there?

best wishes ,
Holger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
Good point about the frameset and the picture. i did some research...and it appears to be absolutely correct. Anquetil didn't ride with Gitane until the 1960's....

Weinmann Brakes 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:24 am Reply with quote
verktyg
You guys are becoming good sleuths... Wink

The Weinmann "red label" brakes didn't come out until the early 60s. Prior to that Weinmann 999 brakes had the logos stamped into the caliper arms.

Original 999 brake calipers

Red Label 999 brakes calipers

Chas.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote
Gtane
Holger,

I agree with you about the photo of Jacques Anquetil. Good point and good spot. A date of, let's say, 1967 would fit the frame far better than 1957.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:09 am Reply with quote
sandranian
Site Admin
I sent a message to the seller. He responded with the weak reply that "he would have to ask his grandfather, but cannot because he is dead."(words to that effect).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:49 am Reply with quote
Holger
i believe that back in the sixties Gitane tried to push the bicycle sales with
Anquetil decals as many other manufactures does with their victorys.
on my bike theres also such a decal.
But its funny to see how someone can push prices on ebay with a lots
of high res. photos and a good story as well as worldwide shipping.

My bike had just one bad photo and no further informations, the auction ended at 15,50 euro. The seller told me if he wouldn`t have sold it he would have put it in the crap.

But anyway still a good looking bike, maybe the seller doesn`t know it
better.

greetings,Holger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
Picchio
Hello, knowledgeable group,

I'd like to comment on the ebay bike, since I'm the new owner. It may be a pig in a poke, but I think the winning bid cost to find out was a risk worth taking. Let me preface by saying I know relatively little about French bikes, and still less about Gitanes - you folks are definitely the experts there. As pointed out, the bike almost certainly post-dates 1958, and is likely not original component-wise. However, given the original components that appear to remain, I believe '67 would be too late. My guess would be circa 1963, which is actually the year, according to Chuck Schmidt's famous Campagnolo timeline, that the "open-C" shift levers changed to a "closed C." Also, the Gran Sport rear derailleur suggests it's probably not much past that date. Hubs, saddle, and stem all seem to be about right for that period, too. The brakes are not an issue as to the date, since they are very likely replacements - as evidenced by the Mafac rear brake cable hanger evident in one of the ebay photos. Mafac "dural forge" brakes would probably be the originals, so I may eventually have to hunt some down. Worst feature of the frame is those stamped rear dropouts - most good-quality bikes would have gone to forged by that point, though by no means all. Too bad about that, but not quite a deal- breaker. A tubing decal would have been nice, too. On the other hand, the workmanship appears to be pretty good, from what is visible of the seatstay cluster, and also the headlugs (some work to shape and thin). It looks rather elegant, while many mid- and lower-level frames of that period look fairly obviously clunky. So my conclusion was that it's a circa 1963 bike of good quality generally with some nice parts (we'll know more about the front derailleur and whether it has the built-in cable stop, and about the crankset, when the bike arrives) and in substantially original shape (fingers crossed as to no big surprises in that area). Which is why I now have to learn a bit more about the storied Gitane marque.

Ed Granger
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Gtane wrote:
I agree with you about the photo of Jacques Anquetil. Good point and good spot. A date of, let's say, 1967 would fit the frame far better than 1957.

Tim

As others have posted, it may be 1963-64 after Anquetil won the TdF on a Gitane.

I recently spoke with a very knowledgeable collector who thought that the Heylett bikes that Anquetil rode in the 50s were actually Gitanes. I think that he or his source may be mistaken or confused because both marques had a black an white picture of Anquetil on the seat tube.

Heylett seatube:

Gitane seatube:

Anquetil on a Gitane in the 1963 TdF:

Daniel Rebour drawings of Anquetil's 1964 Gitane:

During the US Bike Boom there were some bikes sold under the Jacques Anquetil marque. most of them were entry level city bikes or 10 speeds.

The eBay Gitane in question is a very nice example from that era. I watched it myself. It will make the new owner a nice collector's piece but the provenance is pretty flaky (wonky). Wink

"This was my grandfather's road bike, he got it from Anquetil in france in 1958." Rolling Eyes

There are a lot of claims made of old houses in the Northeast US: "George Washington slept here..."

Chas. I have a nice bridge for sale... Laughing
Nice bike... 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
verktyg
Ed, welcome to the group.

My sarcastic comments were aimed at eBay sellers not you. This is a really nice bike in excellent condition. I was watching it myself.

Congratulations, you saved it from becoming a Japanese wall hanging! Cool

Picchio wrote:
I'd like to comment on the ebay bike, since I'm the new owner. It may be a pig in a poke, but I think the winning bid cost to find out was a risk worth taking...

"You buys fer ticket and you takes yer chances." Wink

The price that you paid for a 45+ year old bike in that condition is not out of line. It may not have the same resale value (at this time) but I don't think that's why you bought it.

I doubt that the frame is made of Reynolds 531 tubing. It's probably made of some lighter weight tubes, maybe Durifort or something like that. These bikes didn't always have tubing stickers.

My guess is that it's a midrange model that has had some component upgrades or changes. It should make a nice riding bike for special occasions. (or a great fixie Twisted Evil )

People's memories and recollections change over time. "This was my grandfather's road bike, he got it from Anquetil in france in 1958." is a good example.

Enjoy your new acquisition.

Chas.
Re: Nice bike... 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Picchio
verktyg wrote:

My guess is that it's a midrange model that has had some component upgrades or changes.

People's memories and recollections change over time. "This was my grandfather's road bike, he got it from Anquetil in france in 1958." is a good example.

Enjoy your new acquisition.

Chas.

Thanks for the welcome and the info. I'm betting you're right about it being midrange, especially based on those stamped dropouts. I'll be interested to inspect the workmanship more closely. Gitanes from that period, to the extent that I know anything at all about them, have a reputation for being well made.
Agree, too about the Anquetil story - wasn't buying that one from the get-go. A very high percentage of bikes from 20+ years ago are victims of poor memory or inaccurately told stories, date-wise.
Lastly, I'm not assuming, personally, that the bike was necessarily produced after Anquetil won on the Tour on a Gitane. It seems just as likely to me that Gitane would have launched an Anquetil model at the start of the '63 model year, as soon as the switch of team bike sponsors went into effect and Anquetil brought his marketability to Gitane.
Quck edit to say my interest in the bike is partly as a Campagnolo fan, and the bike represents an interesting conjuction of frame and collectible components at a time Campagnolo was enjoying renewed success at the TdF.
Re: Nice bike... 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Picchio
verktyg wrote:
The price that you paid for a 45+ year old bike in that condition is not out of line. It may not have the same resale value (at this time) but I don't think that's why you bought it.

Chas.

Sorry to be wordy, but wanted to add that the more I'm part of the vintage bike world, the more interested I am in bikes that have "character." It's an amorphous term, I know, but I think the Gitane I bought oozes it. "Character" and monetary value, as I'm sure many folks will agree, are not synonyms.
1957 Gitane on Ebay 
  gitaneusa.com Forum Index » Vintage Gitane